I currently have a nvidia 6100 onboard graphics card. I want to buy the 7600GT graphics card as i have a pci-e x16 slot on my motherboard. Before installing the new card, shall i disable all the drivers for the onboard graphics before installing the 7600 drivers?
Is this possible to disable onboard graphics to install a new card?
And is the 7600GT card any good??
Yes, you can disable the onboard graphics card but I am unabe to tell you how. You can check the card out at:
This should be in the Hardware Forum.
If im correct, you are to completely uninstall all your drivers and then use a driver cleaner to finish the job off. Then turn off your computer and install your new card as normal. Perhaps Im wrong, but this is how I was going to do it when I got a new pc 🙄
Brownbox, you are definitely correct. I just installed a Sapphire X850XT as a replacement for my on-board 6100 graphics chip.
Here's what worked for me:
1. Uninstall all of the nVidia drivers from Windows XP. Start-->Control Panel-->Add or Remove Programs-->uninstall nVidia Drivers.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Before the system boots to the XP splash screen, enter the Bios control screen for your motherboard. On mine I push "Delete" right after powering on the system and I'm at the bios settings screen. Consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or computer manufacturer's manual to learn how to enter the bios.
4. Disable the on-board video. On mine, I just checked a box that said, "Disable on-board video if PCIE card detected."
5. Save the bios settings and boot back into the bios. Your changes should be reflected in the bios. Shut down the computer (you don't need to boot into Windows XP) and unplug it from the wall or power strip.
6. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the video card. My instructions stated install the card, boot the computer then install the software driver's that came on the CD with the card.
You should be all set after that.
And, yes, this post does belong in the hardware section. 🙂
thanks for the help and sorry i didnt see the hardware forum!
You're welcome. 🙂