Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Vista doesn't need Anti-Virus!

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain
NewsLover Guest

That is good news Smile

Guest Guest

I don't think Microsoft should become too confident because I'm sure sercurity holes will be found in vista.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think we'll still need virus protection with Vista, the hackers seem to be one step ahead of Microsoft. Maybe they should recruit the smartest hackers to work for Microsoft. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I think we'll still need virus protection with Vista, the hackers seem to be one step ahead of Microsoft. Maybe they should recruit the smartest hackers to work for Microsoft. Smile

And have them embed malicious code right into the operating system?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

No, I meant that they would completely work for MS and divulge all of their techniques and knowledge in return for a great job with a good salary. No need to hack if you're "Get'n paid". Some police departments hire ex-car thieves to teach them how to stop other thieves(after they get out of prison and only for the select top people in the field).

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Posted in other thread also.

The facts behind Jim Allchin's supposed statement about Vista and anti virus.
That is if anyone is interested in the facts.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/10/windows-vista-defense-in-depth.aspx

I've just bought this to use on my new (soon) machine and will use it on Vista if I can.

http://www.windowsonecare.com/

Dump that Norton crap (I've used it for nearly 11 years) junk!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

Hmm.. I will still use Anti-Virus Protection anyway

Apparently some anti-virus companies hire ex-hackers to work for them because they can 'think how hackers think'

Interesting eh Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

XP doesn't need an anti-virus either as long as your not an idiot. Never had a problem with virus'.

Common sense > over priced anti virus software Wink

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

There are good free solutions out there to protecting your computer

There are free firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm

Free Anti-Viruses, the best being AGV Free

Free Anti-Spywares, eg Windows Defender and "Spybot Search and Destroy"

Free Anti-Adware, such as AdAware

Free Anti-Malware, I think Ewido is one

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

TimH wrote:

Apparently some anti-virus companies hire ex-hackers to work for them because they can 'think how hackers think'

Interesting eh Smile

We did that at a (small) security software production company I have worked for, I found that eventhough you may have expert coders on 'your side', hackers often look at things from a different perspective, and they come up with very different ideas and solutions...having them on-board greatly improved our products.

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

Wow!!

This may sound stupid, but do you not think that if a hacker first joins that they might not be actually helping the security software instead they are creating an invisible loophole in it to let their own malware in?

Just a thought, it probably never happened

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

TimH wrote:

Wow!!

This may sound stupid, but do you not think that if a hacker first joins that they might not be actually helping the security software instead they are creating an invisible loophole in it to let their own malware in?

Just a thought, it probably never happened

I understand your thoughts; it is exactly what I thought as well a few years back.

However, I found that the ones that are really good, are highly intelligent people that aren't out to destroy things; they get their kick out of beating other people's work, it is basically just competition between coders.

If you employ them, and give them a piece of software to hack, the advantage to them is that they still get to 'beat' your software and 'prove' themselves, but then also get to contribute to a bigger project (be part of a team, which generally most people do find satisfactory) to improve the end product, and eventually if the product is ready for release they can be proud of having built something they can't even crack themselves.
And probably the best of it, they get paid Wink

It's kind of contradictory, but I hope you get the idea behind it.

Bottom line really is that where to most people the word 'hacker' has a bad taste to it, they aren't what you think they are really..
It's the challenge that drives them, not an aim for destruction.

The people that do the damage by DDosing servers, trying to hack personal accounts, delete files and so on usually use (abuse) software they didnt write themselves in the first place, (nor are capable of doing so). Hackers probably despise them even more then we do, because it's those people give them a bad name...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Re.: the WindowsOneCare

I find it quite obscene that Microsoft should charge for protecting their own OS.