FS-X does not seem to be multi processor compatable

bubbagump69 Guest

I was running the demo version of FS-X with the XP task window up and the performance graph tab in focus. After playing a game I shut down the app and looked at where my CPU and Memory was over the last 2Min of graph time.

The game used less then a gig or RAM, but had my CPU at 100% with frequent dips. I was running with all FS parameters at Mid-High settings. The thing I noticed was it DIDN"T use my second CPU.

At all settings MAX the game was very choppy, at Mid-High I had decent detail and a smooth ride.

Questions:
Is there a graphical(Detail, max resolution) difference between Standard and Deluxe?
What is the demo? Standard or Deluxe?

My System
HP - XP Media Center Edition
Pentium® D Processor 920 @2.8Gig/core
2Gig DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE 256MB

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Mr Plummet Guest

This post shows you how to get FSX to use both CPUs

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

However, I didn't see much of a gain. Like you, FSX was using one CPU on my PC at 100% and ignoring the second (50% total CPU usage). After following the advice in the post I managed to get FSX to use both CPUs but it was now only using them both at around 50% each; so total CPU usage remained at around 50% with the rest still shown as system idle.

Watching task manger as I ran FSX, total CPU usage never went above 55%. I guess then that it is still worth getting the game to use both CPUs for those times when it needs 55%.

I emailed Microsoft about this and they said "...the game uses approximately 50 – 55 percent of CPU usage. This is by game design..."

and also "...This game seems to have known issues with the dual core processor. We have observed that the game lags on the system with dual core processors and using only one CPU resolves this issue"

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along though

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...