Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Hurricane Frances / Jeppeson weather

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Yesterday Sept. 4 2004 I decided to test the Jeppeson 15 min. update of real-time weather available if FS9. I moved my A/C to Southern Florida and ran the real weather option as hurricane Frances began to come ashore!

I parked my 737-200 off the ramp between two large general avaition A/C storage hangers and stayed there. Jeppeson weather got it right. High flying dark grey strata clouds began to move in. These clouds were different than what I have seen in regular FS9 flying. The storm got steadly worse and more severe!

One more interesting experience in FS9! Way to go to Jeppeson! It was a lot of fun to watch!

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I am actually disapointed, I have my weather maxed out, and set to real world with updates every 15 min. However, as i am flying around florida the last two day, it is broken clouds with some rain, and the highest wind is about 32. My mighty Beach Baron scoffs at the hurricane. Yawn

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

One thing to watch for, is the radio towers, they are up there around 1500ft.
I left Orlando and flew east to the coast around cape canaveral, and in the clouds, the towers were a bit of a surprise.

Pro Member First Officer

Mike,

Jeppeson had nothing like the actual winds that we could expect and I would not call it a hurricane in terms of what was available in the FS, but it did model what a hurricane would look like.

I took off from Miami this morning in the same 737-700 and obviously that would not be possible so I get your meaning. Having said that, I have taken a screenshot of the storm/experience at flight level 12,000 which I have just submitted to the FS2004 gallery. A/C is American Airlines 737-700. Image caption identifies it a 'Hurricane Frances 09.05.2004.'

Pro Member First Officer

Mike,

My arrival city was KMCO/Orlando on the flight that I was talking about before. There was very severe turbulance all the way. I noticed the same radio towers that you are posting about if the towers that you are speaking of were the red ones? Really strange and errie looking as the stuck out of that heavy, lower level cloud bank.

P.S. -I was obviously IFR all the way but went to VFR for the final 3 or 4 miles at 1,500 when suddenly visability went back to zero! Heavy rain squall. I was completely taken by suprise by that and then it turned into the nightmare senerio. I became disoriented, lost the runway and crashed East of the airport.

Last edited by George (OrlandoGeorge) on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Yes the red towers George, at first I thought it was a glitch in my video card, and then as I got closer Surprised HARD RIGHT.
I also crashed my Baron a few minutes ago fighting a 30mph cross wind on landing Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer

LOL Mike,

Sorry the Baron crashed bro. As I posted my 737 did also so don't feel bad dude. Flying in these conditions is wild! A real test thrown at all this morning with the wicked weather in and around Orlando. I will be interested to read if anyone else crashed in the area because of the storm.