Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

does anyone have fsx runing at full graffix that don't stick

Pro Member First Officer
bawns First Officer

i have a 3500 AMD ATHLON 64 i gig ram 200 gig hard drive and a G Force 7900 GT OC and when ever i put everything up not ever to full, it sticks. the only time i get to se the graffics at its full detail is when i pause the game and wait for about a minuite and an half.

I average about 30fps in FSX Demo on medium high settings.
P4 3.0Ghz CPU
1GB Ram
GeForce 128MB 6600GT

cars,airport traffic etc.. 10%
autogen scenery sparse.

forgot to mention that I also have pauses or sticking when switching views or panning in virtual cockpit. The virtual cockpit is worst for low frame rates.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

forgot to mention that I also have pauses or sticking when switching views or panning in virtual cockpit. The virtual cockpit is worst for low frame rates.

FSX is built for tomorrows computer. Not a machine today can run it full out.
It has to last 3 years on our machines then it'll run full out on a top machine...but then a new version will come out that we can't run full out.
It starts all over again.

Radar

lemonwonder Guest

Yeh microsoft is just trying to get every1 to buy more hardware and computers, trying to make every1 thing that their computa is out of date... when they test and make their games on super-computers.... maybe flight sim x wood run better on the ps3.... very powerful indeed

VonKyrin Guest

Well, Iím happy to say I ran FS-X ďFull OutĒ last night. Here is basically my hardware setup:

Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz (or is it 3.1 I canít rememberÖI should look.)
512 MB Graphics card
Two 75 GB Raptor drives
2 GB system memory
Windows XP (Personal Edition)
MOTU 896HD Ė for sound (Yes, my computer is a recording studio. FS-X is just a pass time.)
MS Sidewinder joystick (the original, which seems to have hardware conflicts with the MOTU)

I should point out that this system was not top of the line when I built it about a year and a half ago, although it was a darn good system at the time. Iíve even been considering upgrading recently although Iíve decided not to until well into next year since basically all of my hardware is so ďoldĒ that itís not compatible with the new hardware. For example, my graphics card is AGP and wonít work on the current high end motherboards. My graphics card is already so outdated I canít transfer it to a new computer. Lol But thatís the way things go in the computer industry: if your computer is more than 3 years old, itís an antique. Itís both a sad fact and a good thing that PC tech is improving so rapidly.

Anyway, back to my report: Iím running FS-X just fine. Iíve seen several posts that have accused FS-X of requiring a super computer with multiple quad core processors and a multi-processor GPU with a bajillion Terabytes of memory; so I thought Iíd put that idea to rest.

While the hardware I am running on is not a half bad system by any means, itís a good long ways from ďtop of the lineĒ. Last night I took FS-X for a ďtest driveĒ with all the settings maxed out. The only exception was that I had the music turned off because my sound system and joystick donít ďplay nicelyĒ together. And Iíve turned down the sound processing requirements as much as possible without sacrificing quality of sound effects (I still want to hear the engines and buzzers but I donít need theme music while Iím flying.) This is because Iím essentially not running a sound card. I have the MOTU which is processing sound for me, but itís designed to record music, not play games. So, I figure I shouldnít require it to process sound any more than it has to. Anyway, the graphics settings were all maxed out.

Iíve been flying around KFMN (Four Corners Municiple Airport, Farmington, NM). With all the graphics settings cranked to 100%, I didnít notice any performance problems more than a bit of hesitation when shifting between camera views very rapidly. Now, New Mexico is a rather desolate place, so I realized this wasnít an absolutely diffinitive test. So, I started over and took off from KLAX in a King Air 350 and flew around LA for awhile. Then I flew out of Love Field in Dallas and flew around Dallas for about 30 minutes or so. Mainly I flew around the downtown area and then out over Texas Stadium to Los Collinas and past DFW. While I was not overly impressed with the look of the Dallas area in FS-X (since I live in the Dallas area), the game ran fairly well.

I have to point out that around LA and Dallas, FS-X hesitated noticeably. However, the stuttering was not so bad that I couldnít fly the plane. It was annoying enough that Iíll probably turn the graphics settings down a bit when Iím not ďtestingĒ how much it pushes my system, but I donít think Iíll have to turn the settings down much to get good performance. Like I said, even the way it is (with graphics maxed out) the system is able to run the sim reasonably well. I could live with it if I had to, but I think it will be more enjoyable if I pull the graphics settings back a bit. I think Iím going to pull the weather settings back just a bit first since I havenít been overly impressing with the weather graphics so far.

Personally, I think itís kind of nice to know that if I do upgrade my system 6 months from now, the game WILL be a little better. I hate when you do a major upgrade to a less than top of the line system and then your software still doesnít run any better because it was designed for technology from 10 years ago. Face it: if you are going to own a computer you can expect to be forced to upgrade it every 3 to 4 years.

My impression of FS-X with the graphics cranked? WellÖ I probably had expectations too high to start out with. I remember being REALLY impressed with FS98 (I think thatís what it was about 6 years agoÖwhich was the last time I played FS) and, I had seen screenshots and what not from FS2004 with all the add ons and somehow thought FS-X would be more. Quite frankly, screenshots Iíve seen of FS2004 look far better than most of FS-X. But then, thatís not exactly a fair comparison; I imagine when the addons come out for FS-X it will be better than FS2004. In the mean time, FS-X has moments where it really impresses me and moments where it really doesnít. Iíve spent some time looking for familiar landmarks around Texas and New Mexico since Iím very familiar with that area. Iíve noticed that many landmarks are not there, and even some things I would have really expected to be there are missing. For example, I have yet to be able to find the town of Ruidoso, NM (the airport is there, whereís the town?). The roads seem to be so accurately placed in FS-X that I generally seem to know where I am, and terrain elevation seems to be accurate enough to clue me in too, but everything else is only vaguely similar to actual places. In Dallas, familiar landmarks seemed to be only ďpassablyĒ rendered. And landmark buildings like the Cresent Court in downtown Dallas seemed suspiciously absent. I also noticed that raised freeways were not raised. Things were accurate enough to feel ďfamiliarĒ but not accurate enough to come close to seeming real. The airplanes look really nice though. I canít hardly complain about the planes.

In all fairness, I think MS designed FS-X to be a top notch flight simulator ďengineĒ. I think they fully intended for others to finish out the graphics of FS-X just like they did in FS2004. So, Iím looking forward to add on packs for FS-X.

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

You maxed out the settings, ok, but what kind of frame rate did you experience in the ares that you flew around in?

SAF

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

lemonwonder wrote:

Yeh microsoft is just trying to get every1 to buy more hardware and computers, trying to make every1 thing that their computa is out of date... when they test and make their games on super-computers.... maybe flight sim x wood run better on the ps3.... very powerful indeed

They should build a computer for just FSX and other simulators, so a computer for FSX and other simulator users. That'll be pretty good, may be very expensive though.

Pro Member Trainee
David Mathew Covarrubias (David_MC) Trainee

yeah i have the same problem but i ballance performance and graphics i get on average 14fps some time 28 to even 34 but it about 14fps average. when the day comes of computers with 200 gigs of ram and 150 gigabeyte graphics cards we wont have to deal with this
Censored but for now we will have to deal with it.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

I run a ATi Radeon 256mb x1300 card + Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz and 1GB RAM and with that I get no sticking with my config which consists mainly of bloom being turned off and autogen scenery off. With those 2 disabled it grants a massive increase in performance.

I have traffic turned up fairly high, aircraft is on full atleast, my mesh detail and texture resolutions are just below full so everything works pretty well.

P.S - Hi to everyone at FlyAway I'm Sno0ze and just joined today Wink

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Sno0ze wrote:

I run a ATi Radeon 256mb x1300 card + Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz and 1GB RAM and with that I get no sticking with my config which consists mainly of bloom being turned off and autogen scenery off. With those 2 disabled it grants a massive increase in performance.

I have traffic turned up fairly high, aircraft is on full atleast, my mesh detail and texture resolutions are just below full so everything works pretty well.

P.S - Hi to everyone at FlyAway I'm Sno0ze and just joined today Wink

Welcome mate Smile

Pro Member Trainee
VYSSUteLS1 Trainee

Hi guys, and girls.

I've been a member for about 12 months and never thought to put my two cents worth in until FSX.

I've had a computer guru look at my system and I have decided to build one just to run FSX and leave the one I have now for FS2004 which I think is fantastic.

I got X for obvious reasons and I dont want to have to drop settings down just to make it run because that defeats the object of having X in the first place. I want to be able to run it at full noise to get all the effects and to this end I am looking for someone who is doing just that with no problems so that I can give my guy the right specs for what I need to run it at its best.

Any help is much appreciated.

Flyaway is an amazing site and I hope you guys can help me out.

Oh and has anyone heard anything about add-on scenery for X yet or is it still all just idea's scribbled on the back of a cereal packet.

Cheers from down under

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

The JustFlight Uk scenery was due to be released this month but they've delayed it till Feb to 'test for Vista compatablility'

Pro Member Trainee
VYSSUteLS1 Trainee

Do you think it will cover the whole Uk or just a portion. I actually used to live in Lincoln,Uk right near RAF Scampton/Wadddington so scenery for those areas would be great.

Pro Member First Officer
skypilot2 First Officer

VYSSUteLS1 wrote:

Hi guys, and girls.

I've been a member for about 12 months and never thought to put my two cents worth in until FSX.

I've had a computer guru look at my system and I have decided to build one just to run FSX and leave the one I have now for FS2004 which I think is fantastic.

I got X for obvious reasons and I dont want to have to drop settings down just to make it run because that defeats the object of having X in the first place. I want to be able to run it at full noise to get all the effects and to this end I am looking for someone who is doing just that with no problems so that I can give my guy the right specs for what I need to run it at its best.

Any help is much appreciated.

Flyaway is an amazing site and I hope you guys can help me out.

Oh and has anyone heard anything about add-on scenery for X yet or is it still all just idea's scribbled on the back of a cereal packet.

Cheers from down under

Friend of mine just had my guru buddy build him a pc just for FSX.
Flew it yesterday with most settings at max with no stuttering at all. He has the following;

Pentium dual core
4 gig memory
Raptor hard drive 10,000 rpm
8800 nvidia card
All super clocked.

It rocks.....

I'm running a dual core Athlon
2 gig memory
standard hard drive
7950 nvidia
Mine plays OK but not even close to max.

I am hoping that vista will help and the 8800 nvidias come down in price......

Pro Member Trainee
VYSSUteLS1 Trainee

Howdy Skypilot2

That sounds like the way to go. Do they have a date for Vista yet and I wonder how much difference it will make. I am hoping to have a system that is capable of being run with the settings (all of them) at full and also to be able to run future add-ons with no problem.

I understand that the scenery is good but may not compare to the add-ons that were made for FS2004 but life can't be all good I guess.

My system at the moment is not happy with FSX so I hanging out to get it going in the new year.

Thanks again for your input.

Pro Member First Officer
skypilot2 First Officer

Quote:"I understand that the scenery is good but may not compare to the add-ons that were made for FS2004 but life can't be all good I guess".

I am totally new to this sim stuff and have no idea what 2004 looks like with scenery add-ons. I saw a friends 04 with no scenery add-ons and thought that it looked pretty bad compared to X. Where does one find add-ons and are they easy to install and run?

Pro Member Trainee
takeflight Trainee

im having problems with my fsx it keeps skipping while im in the air also my pc is farely new anyone know whats wrong?????
Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
skypilot2 First Officer

Whats your PC have for video card, memory, etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

takeflight wrote:

im having problems with my fsx it keeps skipping while im in the air also my pc is farely new anyone know whats wrong?????
Very Happy

Turn down the autogen, that should help.

Radar