Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New to all this, pleas help

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

Ive only just joined and im not all that on downloads and all that, was hoping there would be someone to help me or guide me thru downloading an aircraft off here and how to get it on FS2004. Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway davina. Cheers! Always glad to see a new member. I'm no expert on downloading aircraft but I can point you in the right direction until one of our experts checks in. Smile

Read: https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/#8119

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

Thankyou for your reply! true gent! Hopefully what youve given me will help alot thanks!

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Welcome to Flyaway hoep you enjoy your stay Group Wave

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

If anyone else could help me id be very grateful. i have no idea how to load a download off here to my flight sim, all this zip unzipping, i have no idea what it all means! help please guys!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

davina wrote:

If anyone else could help me id be very grateful. i have no idea how to load a download off here to my flight sim, all this zip unzipping, i have no idea what it all means! help please guys!

After you've downloaded a .zip file, hover your cursor over it, right-click and select 'Extract All...' from the drop-down menu. Now just follow the prompts.

At the end of this manoeuvre, the contents of the .zip file will have been extracted into a temporary folder.
The first thing you look for inside this temporary folder is the Readme file. It's a text document that opens with Notepad. In most cases, the Readme file will contain instructions on how to install your download into FS.

Try this and we'll take it from there.

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

Tailhook cheers! Erm ive tried what youve siad and have followed the instructions to the readme file. But its still congusing me. Ive managed to unzip the file and extract but unsure what to do after that. Any more advice iwould be ever so grateful

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

davina wrote:

Tailhook cheers! Erm ive tried what youve siad and have followed the instructions to the readme file. But its still congusing me. Ive managed to unzip the file and extract but unsure what to do after that. Any more advice iwould be ever so grateful

Ok, the easiest and quickest way to continue and get to the bottom of this, is if you copy / paste the complete readme file into your next post. Just copy from readme file - and then paste into the next post your about to shoot. We'll figure it out together - should it be incomplete, I should be able to point the problems and a possible solution out to you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Firstly, welcome to flyaway! Very Happy .Next, lets see if we can get these installed for you!
You said you,ve unzipped the files and are not sure what to do next if i'm correct.
Right, you'll either have a file called "aircraft" or a file with the name of the aircraft and a gauges and effects file.
This can happen two ways(usually), firstly if the file is just entitled "aircraft" open this file and you should see these files:-
A file with the aircraft name
A file called gauges
A file called effects

Move the file with the aircraft name to flight simulator 9 main aircraft folder.
Open the gauges file, select all and copy to the main flight simulator
gauges folder( sometimes it will ask if you want to overwrite a file, only overwrite if the gauge it asks about is newer than the one already there never older ones)
Open the effects file and copy all to the main flight simulator effects folder.(Same goes for this file).
Now your aircraft,panel gauges and flight effects should become visible when you start flying.
The second option is exactly the same but they just have'nt been put into an "aircraft" file.
Hope this helps, any trouble just tell us and we'll try to help!
Sorry, sometimes there may be a sound file also just open it and copy all to the main flight simulator sound folder.
P.S. sometimes when you open the gauge files you may see extra zip files don't open these just just carry on with the copy.These are meant to work from within the zip file.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

You guys are all so helpful, thanks everyone, heres the readme file tailhook

Airbus A300B4-200
NOTE: This aircraft ONLY works in Flight Simulator 2004: Century of Flight

Thank you for downloading our Airbus A300B4 aircraft! Please take time to read through this documentation to ensure you install the aircraft properly, and learn about the various features and how to operate them.

We recommend that you download and install our optional A300B4 sound set for a better experience when using our aircraft! You may find it in our “Aircraft” section at the SGA website: www.sgair.net

Credits:

- Erick Cantu (Model, Textures)
- Chris Trott (Technical Advisor)
- Bill Lutz (Technical Advisor)
- Harald Nehring and FrankWeiß (Use of their A310 FDE)
- Albaro Villegas (Maintenance Facility Planner Used as Reference)
- Fraser Turner (Custom Animations)

Installation:

We like to keep our installation streamlined and simple. To install, please extract the downloaded zip file directly to your MAIN FS2004 folder. All files and folders will be placed in their respective directories. Please be aware that this aircraft ONLY work in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: Century of Flight.

Features:

SGA is dedicated to providing our users with exclusive features, accuracy, and frame rate friendly models. In keeping up with our traditions, we offer the below features that are standard to all our aircraft, as well as a few GROUND BREAKING NEVER BEFORE SEEN features that are EXCLUSIVE to SGA!

- Detailed and accurate model recreating the A300B4 in all its prestige
- Full compliment of animations including accurately deploying spoilers
- Accurate flap animations that model their real counterparts faithfully
- Full and accurate lighting
- 3D engine fans
- Detailed landing gear with accurate retraction sequence
- Opening cargo and passenger doors
- Fully deploying thrust-reversing doors as soon as you enter reverse thrust! You no longer have to hold down the F2 key to get full deployment, nor do you get the jerky animations that you do with our previous aircraft.
AN SGA EXCLUSIVE!
- Automatically extending landing lights, no gauges required!
AN SGA EXCLUSIVE!
- Tilting trucks on the landing gear that remain level with the ground during rotation (takeoff)!
AN SGA EXCLUSIVE!
- And a soon to be added feature, TRUE dynamic flexing wings. Our wings are no longer linked to the landing gear, as are so many other aircraft out there. Instead our wings behave and act like the real things! Watch them flex up as you gain speed during takeoff! Grit your teeth during those hard landings as the wings flex down from the impact! And best of all, watch them flex when you encounter turbulence in flight! All of this with silky smooth animations!
(Look for this feature and more in our upcoming DC-10 update)
AN SGA EXCLUSIVE!

Animations:

- Shift + E: Main Cabin Door
- Shift + E + 2: Forward Passenger Door
- Wing Fold (Must assign a key): Cargo Doors and Galley Service Doors

Repainting:

Repainting our aircraft is easy. Just paint up whatever it is you want, package it in any form of your choosing, and upload it anywhere you want! However, you must include all credits/references for any and all SGA files you include in your uploads!

You are required to read the enclosed EULA agreement before you upload our aircraft, and you MUST INCLUDE the EULA in all of your uploads with SGA files enclosed within them.

Support:

Please visit our support f

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I think i can see what's happening here and i think Tailhook may/may not agree, sometimes putting these files directly into your main fs9 folder works and sometimes it does'nt. I've tried it myself and sometimes the files do not go to where you would expect them to go ,for some reason, so i find (personally) it's best to extract to a temporary folder and place them manually. This way you know where the files are going and it's a good learning process of where things go and how FS9 works.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welshflyer is spot on. This:

To install, please extract the downloaded zip file directly to your MAIN FS2004 folder. All files and folders will be placed in their respective directories.

...is not how to do it.

So why would the authors of that file make such a suggestion? Because they want to make it easy for those who either can't be bothered to read more than a few sentences or are lacking common sense. I am not at all criticizing the SGA team, their intentions are pure and they've given us great creations over the years.

Now back to business. So now that we've digressed from the prescribed procedure, things might be very easy or just a little bit difficult. This depends on whether your download is an original SGA file or whether someone else has repackaged it and added other files to it.

You've obviously already extracted the contents of the original .zip file into a temporary folder, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to present us with the Readme file. It is this Temporary Folder that we're concentrating on.

When you open this folder, a million different scenarios can be presented to you. Folders inside folders and more readme files and more folders inside folders and pictures and sometimes even sound recordings of the person who made it all possible. All of this will not pose any problems to you if you know what to look for.

Ok, let's narrow it down.

You have to find the folder which contains the following:

model (folder)

panel (folder)

sound (folder)

texture (folder)

aircraft.cfg (text file opens with Notepad)

.air file (will not open unless you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing.)

The folder that contains the above is the folder that has to be copied and pasted into the Aircraft Directory. This is how you do it:

Hold down your Windows key and press E - you've just opened Windows Explorer the easy way.

Now we'll concentrate on the left pane and navigate to the Aircraft Directory:

Click on the + in front of Local Disk (..)

Click on the + in front of Program Files

Click on the + in front of Microsoft Games

Click on the + in front of Flight Simulator 9

...now, click on the word Aircraft

Now you have all your aircraft displayed both in the left panel and the larger right panel.
Paste the folder in question into this large, right hand panel. Keep it in sight as there might be some more work to be done.

To recap: The folder which contains the above mentioned 6 items is required to have a complete, flyable aircraft. Sometimes this folder contains additional files, in particular gauges and effects folders - we can deal with this later as I'm aware that most SGA aircraft use default gauges and no extra effects.

At this stage, before I do anything else such as cleaning up the mess, I usually load the aircraft and see if I like it. If I do, I continue to install gauges and effects and anything else that might be required.
If I don't like the aircraft, I get rid of it and because so far all I've done is paste the aircraft folder into the aircraft directory, all I have to do is delete this folder. Done.

Now let's try and load the aircraft first. If you've followed the steps above, this shouldn't be a problem. So when you're looking for your aircraft in the Select an Aircraft Menu within FS... what are you looking for - SGA or Airbus (or believe me sometimes it could be something you never dreamed of)? To avoid frustration here's what I always do even before I fire up FS:

Assuming your Windows Explorer is still open the way we left it with all the aircraft displayed, open the folder of the aircraft you've just installed and now double-click on the aircraft.cfg file - it should open in notepad, if it doesn't, right-click on it and select Open With... Notepad.
IMPORTANT: Do not confuse the aircraft.cfg file with the .air file.

Now that you've opened the aircraft.cfg file, look for this entry: ui_manufacturer=Airbus .
If it says Airbus like in my example, the aircraft will show up under Airbus in the menu. If it says SGA instead, it will show up under SGA in the menu. If it says Tailhook the Genius, it will show up under Tailhook the Genius in the menu Big Grin

Now, why am I telling you this? Because once you've got many aircraft installed, it'll become increasingly difficult to find the aircraft you've just installed in the menu, trust me.

To conclude: Usually the SGA original uploads are pretty straight forward regarding installation but if you have a repackaged version there could be a number of other files which you don't know what to do with. If that's the case, I would ask you to list all the files and folders that were included in your original .zip file.

...and, in case things should get complicated, if you downloaded the file from a library other than Flyaway, you might provide a link and/or the filename and the library where you got it from. Good luck, let's hear how you're getting on Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

You guys thankyou so much for all this but i have now got a new problem. My actual flight sim 2004 game is now saying its not compatible with my laptop. When i first set it up it ran fine no problems then I put a Dash 8-300 addon and it now doesnt run at all.

The message thats coming up is

FSUIPC has a problem!
The version of 2004 detected is not compatible with this version of FSUIPC! It is buil 9.0.40901... You need the correct version of FS2004.

Check the Help-About: the build should be 9.00.30612.

FSUIPC will terminate when you select ok.

So then I do and it just shuts down, anuone have in adea whats wrong? Is it becasue im trying to run it on a laptop? I have all the neccesaries like Windows Xp, and the memory and Hard drive space, and RAM, and processor, and all that whats wrong?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scroll down to the 2004 section and grab a new one.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

Remember to extract/unzip it to the 'Modules' folder in the FS2004 directory..
and say yes to overwrite the files..

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

if you don't overwrite, it'llgive you alot of problems. i learned the hard way lol

Pro Member Trainee
davina Trainee

Oh Censored i think i did something real wrong, i couldnt find the backup file to delete wen uninstalling so i just uninstalled then found the backup file, and now i cant even setup and install the flight sim! Why am i sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bloody stupid! i really need someone to help me in person, is there anyone i can contact? Like from the yellow pages for comp problems, silly question i know!

Censored By Radar

GUEST Guest

hi im haveing troble with add ons i used to use flight sim manager but it wont work and im stuck on installing aircraft and stuff can some 1 give me a nother program that intall them or tell me how intsall them to thanks soz for the spelling mistakes

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

you'll prolly hve to install them manually. Check out the aircraft guide to find out more. Or better yet, find aircraft that have auto installs!