Need a Tow?

Alex The Guest Guest

This amazing experiment was done by Volkswagen, with an Ex BA 747.

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/volkswagen-touareg-successfully-tows-a-boeing-747

I suppose if i ever see a 747 broken down on the road i could tow it to the nearest service station! (my dad has a V10 Touareg)

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I don't think the 747 would be happy with unleaded though.

Interesting article. Why they added ballast to the Touareg is still a mystery to me:

The changes to the Touareg are more modest. Modifications extend to the addition of 4,345 kg of ballast in the form of steel plates set behind the front bumper and beneath the engine. The balance of the ballast was made up by bags of steel balls weighing 25 kg each. The result is a split of 2,755 kg over the front axle and 4,275 kg over the rear to bring the total to 7,030 kg which includes Uwe Krieghoff, the nervous driver. He was not prepared to say how much his body contributed to the 7,030 kg total.

Any ideas?

Alex The Great Guest

Ok in the booklet it says this:

Touaregs with pneumatic suspension are made to carry heavy loads, provided that there is an evenly specific weight on the front end to support this, this is done because the rear suspension ports are dutied for this style of tow (of heavy objects).

Beats me!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

im friad i dont understand this post?..... Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

im friad i dont understand this post?..... Read

The car company is just trying to show that their car can tow a heavy load. Interesting photos and demonstration. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Alex The Great wrote:

Ok in the booklet it says this:

Touaregs with pneumatic suspension are made to carry heavy loads, provided that there is an evenly specific weight on the front end to support this, this is done because the rear suspension ports are dutied for this style of tow (of heavy objects).

Beats me!

This actually makes sense, crystal clear 👍

Alex The Guest Guest

I'm glad you get it, coz i don't know what it all means, and hopefully i'll never have to tow a 747, because if i do i won't know what to do!

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Saw it the paper yesterday.

Tailhook wrote:

I don't think the 747 would be happy with unleaded though.

Interesting article. Why they added ballast to the Touareg is still a mystery to me:

The changes to the Touareg are more modest. Modifications extend to the addition of 4,345 kg of ballast in the form of steel plates set behind the front bumper and beneath the engine. The balance of the ballast was made up by bags of steel balls weighing 25 kg each. The result is a split of 2,755 kg over the front axle and 4,275 kg over the rear to bring the total to 7,030 kg which includes Uwe Krieghoff, the nervous driver. He was not prepared to say how much his body contributed to the 7,030 kg total.

Any ideas?

The reason for the ballast in the back is becasue the car wasn't heavy enough. Without the ballast the front of the car would go into the air. With the added weight the car could pull the 744

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Yet another example that those who actually bother to read the documentation available finally get to the bottom of what's being discussed. 🙂)

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

uh.. does anyone notice something strange about that 747?

i have never seen the engines configured that way...
(grouped in 2's inboard, and external fuel tanks outboard)

anyone have more information on this particular model?

Alex The Guest Guest

Lol it's in the article i think.......... It was used for a motion picture and therefore it has strange adaptations.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

👍

I went in the cockpit and had a tour of that exact same 742 at Dunsfold last year - before they took the original engines off and modified it. Classic beauty 👏

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...