SearchSearch 

I am not exactly happy

Pro Member Trainee
starnut Trainee

I was running a 64 athlon single core witha nvidia 7600 256mg card and 2 gig ram. Thought FSX played OK, but wanted better performance and graphics. Blew a pile of dough. Dual core athlon CPU and spent almost 300 up grading to the 512mg 7950 Nvidia card. Damm game does not play as well as it did on the cheap set-up. Graphics are a tad better, but performance SUCKS!!!! Mad Game is going into DT's with severe jitter's. Anyone have a thought? ❓ I do, but it's not realistic, if ya know what I mean. <G> Evil or Very Mad

16 Responses

Munkeh Guest

Could be cooling in your system. Whats your proccessor heat during playing?

Munkeh Guest

Infact, take the side of your PC and put it in a very airy area. Play the game again and see if the problems arise 🙂

Least it'll be diagonised then.

Pro Member Trainee
starnut Trainee

I was able to play whith the 7600 with fans turned at half speed. I am running 4 case fans in addition to the cpu fan. Temp is running at 102- 103.5 average, with fans all turned up. Case itself sounds like an airplane LOL. With all fans running high it really is loud and I am running good fans. Please don't tell me I need to step up to an 8800......... $$$$$$$$$

RandomGuest Guest

The only thing I can put it down to is FSX being CPU dependant. FSX as far as I'm aware does not make use of Dual core. Some report that games actually run better on single core until more Games start using dual core. It also seems that a good graphics card helps, but as FSX is CPU dependant it may not give a substancial effect.

Pro Member Trainee
starnut Trainee

Well that's a bummer. Guess I just spent 275.00 for a dual core for nothing. I am not a multi task computer user, so I will probably not see any advantages to having the dual core at this point. Bought it strictly for enhancing the FSX. So do you think putting the singe core back in would alow the 7950 to run better than the 7600 was with the single core???

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Before pulling the CPU out, try running FSX in a maximized window instead of full screen. Change the setting so it doesn't pause when something else grabs the focus. Get a plane running on autopilot and then launch taskmanager. Let us know what your performance readings look like.

RandomGuest Guest

In theory it would probably depend on what speed each core runs at on a dual core chip. If its a lower X2 model then theres a chance that each core could run at lower Ghz speed than some single AMD 64 chips.This would mean that a game that only uses single core would in theory run better on the single chip unless each core of a Dual core were the same or better speed wise. Although Dual core will leave Single core trailing behind when more software and games make use. You will eventually see real benefit from a Dual core Chip.

Pro Member Chief Captain

There is a way for FSX to avail itself of both cores. It was just mentioned and linked in another thread on this board.

Pro Member Trainee
starnut Trainee

Would both cores running the game equal a 64 bit single core athlon? Where did you see this post on dual core? I have looked and can't seem to find it. It's beginning to look as though I should get rid of the dual core and go up to the 8800 card. What would some of you folks do?

Meylan Guest
RandomGuest Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

There is a way for FSX to avail itself of both cores. It was just mentioned and linked in another thread on this board.

I thought that only applied to FS2004?

RandomGuest Guest

starnut wrote:

Would both cores running the game equal a 64 bit single core athlon? Where did you see this post on dual core? I have looked and can't seem to find it. It's beginning to look as though I should get rid of the dual core and go up to the 8800 card. What would some of you folks do?

If both cores were being used this would share the processing load. If a Simulation or game makes use of Dual Core then the performance should be better than a Single chip. However this will improve performance not double performance.

Nvidias 8800 Card is the first card to support DX10, but DX10 will be Vista operating system only. Windows XP will not support DX10. Flight simulator X is suppose to support DX10 when it arrives. Nvidias 8800 ofcourse is backwards compatible and will work with DX9.
The graphics card you have now is very capable and should play any game you can throw at it smoothly for some time to come. At the moment I don't really think the 8800 card is essential for people with already capable cards such as yourself. I doubt you would see much of an improvement upgrading to the 8800 at the moment. Remember like already stated Flight Simulator X is very CPU dependant.
When Vista arrives and Flight simulator X makes use of DX10 hardware then this could be a different story. [/b]

Pro Member Chief Captain

RandomGuest wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

I believe it applies to any application. It is only a partial fix. Hopefully, there will be enough dual core processors out there to force MS to release a patch that fully supports them.

Pro Member Trainee
starnut Trainee

I found that thread and that's how I understand it also. I didn't see anywhere that it said it would work with FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It should work with any application.

I haev found that turning off autogen is the only way to improve FSX performance.