SearchSearch 

New PC arriving on Monday (11/27): Let's see how FSX runs..

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

My old Dell workstation is a dual Xeon (1.5Ghz), but it's 6 years old. I am in the IT business (programming/architecture), so it was time for me to buy a new PC anyway. The fact that FSX was just released was coincidence and luck, but I love sims so I figured what the hell.

After reading many reports about dual core processors not performing well with FSX, I am concerned about how well this game will perform on this new system. You would think that with a system like this there would be no issues, but it's obvious from other reports that FSX uses only 1 processor, so I suppose the speed of the processor becomes the real issue, not just how many you have.

Anyway, here is the config on my new system:

Dell Precision 690 Workstation
(2) Dual Core Xeon's 5060 3.2GHz
2GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM 667MHz
(2) 80GB SATA (7200rpm) drives on RAID 0
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fata1ity Gamer
eVGA GeForce 8800 (GTS or GTX)

For the graphics card, I am trying to decide between the GeForce 8800 GTS or GTX. For me the extra $150 in price for the GTX won't kill me, so I may just go with it.

The PC comes with a free upgrade to Vista Business, which I believe is due to arrive at the end of November, and I don't plan on installing FSX until I have Vista, my graphics card, and everything else.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

SAF

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Vista is due out January 30th. FSX does not benefit from dual processors, but I am assuming you have other things that do.

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

Absolutely, I have many other needs for multiple processors. I just find it hard to believe a simulator that demands to much processing power can't benefit from multiple processors. What about that patch or fix from FS9 that allows it to use both processors; do you think there will be something similiar for FSX? I can't see how a patch even fixes something like that given that the software must be written from the ground up to use multiple processors. Whatever, if a patch is released to handle that, I'll give it a shot.

The general public release for Vista is late January 2007, but Vista Business will be released much sooner. My workstation comes with the express upgrade to Vista Business, so hopefully I will have Vista when MS releases it to their big customers, including Dell, on Nov 30.

SAF

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Right, business is out soon.
I'm getting the Dual 2 6700, check this out.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

This may give you an indication of performance to expect.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2059176,00.asp

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

As RM has already posted a link to the Task Manager tool, I can assure that both FS9 and FSX do benefit, and do take advantage of both processors, it does improve frame rates and performance dramatically. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

Has anyone tested with Hyper-Threading enabled?

SAF

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

I changed my mind on this system. I am sending it back to Dell. Right now I am researching a bit more before I make my decision. I am looking at the AMD Athlon and Opterons processors as well.

SAF