SearchSearch 

Vista RC1 wireless network problems

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

My computer came with Windows Vista, but I cant seem to be able to get the wireless network going. Obviously it is working fine on Windows XP, but on vista it just cant find any wireless networks in range. I know it works because it was working the first time i started the system up From there it just hasnt worked since. Someone help please

6 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Has your PC got a wireless card? Have you checked device manager to see if it is recognised ok?

Shouldn't this be in the tech forum?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

theres a tech forum?!?! Well you learn something every day..

Yes, I do have a wireless card. I have Vista and XP installed on separeate partitions on this computer and XP has no problems with it. My guess on whats wrong is that vista cannot install the drivers properly as they are made for XP?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I would guess something along those lines.

Check Vista's device manager to see if it thinks the device is working properly etc.

If not, go to the manufacturer's site and check if they have any Vista specific drivers available.

It is actually the hardware forum btw:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/17/hardware/

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

yes, the device is working perfectly fine. You see the thing is, when I had to activate vista when I first started up my computer, the internet worked perfectly fine. Then once I restart the computer, it cant find any networks. Crying or Very sad Still working on it...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Ok,

So the device is being recognised ok.

Have you checked for error messages from the card? I am not sure what the Vista equivalent is but XP has something called the event viewer. Are there any related messages in there?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Finally fixed it! Turns out that the wireless card (some no name cheap brand) was slightly incompatible with vista. Tried another wireless card on my network and it worked without a hitch.

Thanks for your help Insight

Cheers
BB