Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Learning to Fly

Pro Member Trainee
wenglish101989 Trainee

Hi,
I'm turning 15 in in about a month, and I was wondering when I can start flying lessons. I've been flying on flight simulator since some of the first versions, and I've been wating and waiting until I'm old enough. By the way I live in the U.S. (I know there are a lot of people here from europe) Does anyone know the regulations and requirements for taking lessons in the US? There are two small airports within a half-hour from my house and both have very good programs. When can I start?!!!

6 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

There's a search box above, you can feed in your questions there.
Good luck to you and let us know how you do.

http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=TOCj_E-g&p_lva=85&p_faqid=85

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Well, In the UK (when I did my PPL) - you needed roughly 45Hours of flight, specific lessons and a written and medical test. The instructor fees/plane hire were roughly £120/hour 😕 May I ask your age also?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I think you can start lessons right now. As long as you have an FAA certified instructor you can go up anytime. I think you must be 16 to hold a private pilots certificate. The requirements for said certificate is 20 hours dual time-- that's with an instructor, 20 hrs solo time. However, the average time historicaly is closer to 60 hrs. there is also required ground school as well. Recently there has been additional requirements, they were added midcourse while I was training and they include 3 hrs IFR hood time ( simulated IFR), and 3 hrs night flying. There is also 3 takeoffs and landings at a tower controlled airport, and one cross country flight of at least 100 nm from departure point, there must a third airport somewhere on the return trip. You must also pass a 3rd class medical exam; WARNING!!! Don't tell the doctor anymore than you have to lest you be YEARS in getting your medical certificate. Get flying boy! Good luck.

Pro Member Trainee
wenglish101989 Trainee

Thanks for your feedback,
I'm 15 on october 12th, to answer flyaway's question, and thanks for the warning about the medical thing, although I just had my annual physical yesterday and my non faa approved doctor said I looked fine. 😛

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

I can also confirm that you must be 16 for your logged flying hours to count towards your PPL (here in the UK, anyway) 🙄 - but heh, get the experience - its great! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Regarding getting your medical, go to your local arpt and talk to several pilots and instructors. There will likely be more than one FAA doctor. Seek the one who is recommended the most. My first doctor thoroughly screwed up my medical, causing an initial denial of the med cert. requiring several un-needed tests over two years to get things straightend out. My big mouth didn't help either. The next doctor essentialy laid me out on a slab and essentially did a damn autopsy on me, just for a 3rd class med, hell, I still look like Frankenstein! 😂 Finally I found a doctor who just takes my blood pressure, checks my vision to see if I can still see, and pats me on my pointed head and sends me off to fly another two years. By the way, 3rd class med is good for three yrs for everyone under 40 2 yrs over 40, 2nd class med is good for 1 yr, 1st class is good for 6 mo.