Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Autopilot and Take-off

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:51 pm 

Having a problem where the autopilot is causing the plane to stall on take off. This is how I am doing it.

1. Whilst stationery on runway I program the required altitude, descent rate and heading.

2. Release brakes

3. Set the speed and plane begins to move

4. The AP is adjusting the trim and evetually nose lifts

5 Except that it keeps lifting and I eventually stall and crash

Its like its trying to get to my desired altitude to quickly. The only way I can do it is put press the AP Master switch whilst halfway down the runway but that doesn't work all of the time.

Can someone advise what I'm doing wrong?
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 am 

Anonymous wrote:
descent rate

You're sure about that?

My guess is that you're climb rate might be set too high for take off.
Set it a bit lower but don't activate it yet. Do your rotation and establish positive climb manually and once you're approx at the climb rate you've set, activate it. It should sort itself out.
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm 

The autopilot(AP) is not used to takeoff! Normally the AP in not turned on any lower than 1000 feet AGL. Climb rate has to be reduced as you reach higher altitudes. Depending on aircraft type, 1500 FPM should work up until about 30,000 ft. After that, you may have to decrease rate further. Large aircraft that are heavy, may not even make it to their maximum altitude.

Rough estimates:
Airport elevation to 10,000 ft. MSL-----250 KIAS
10,000 to FL280(28000)-----------------300 KIAS
FL280 to cruise altitude------------------Mach .70-.75

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:13 am 

Actully it is possible Very Happy I found a video on Youtube. It has instructions of how to do it.It actully worked.But I think without it is easier.
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:21 am 

Horse Why do I even try?
stefanomura
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:55 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Having a problem where the autopilot is causing the plane to stall on take off. This is how I am doing it.

1. Whilst stationery on runway I program the required altitude, descent rate and heading.

2. Release brakes

3. Set the speed and plane begins to move

4. The AP is adjusting the trim and evetually nose lifts

5 Except that it keeps lifting and I eventually stall and crash

Its like its trying to get to my desired altitude to quickly. The only way I can do it is put press the AP Master switch whilst halfway down the runway but that doesn't work all of the time.

Can someone advise what I'm doing wrong?

no sir, autopilot in take-offs is no suggested in any case, unless the aircraft is particulary equipped and the crew properly trained on such operation, but when even so that operation remains unsuggested. ciao
Jamie4590

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:25 pm 

The only way I can rotate manually is by using the trim because if I don't and just raise the nose I then have problems getting the AP to take control and getting the nose settled for the climb. I don't know why this happenes? I would imagine using trim for rotation is not realistic. Dont Know
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:11 pm 

Jamie4590 wrote:
The only way I can rotate manually is by using the trim because if I don't and just raise the nose I then have problems getting the AP to take control and getting the nose settled for the climb. I don't know why this happenes? I would imagine using trim for rotation is not realistic. Dont Know

You are correct in your statement. The Elevator(Stab trim) has to be set to the correct value for take off. If you have no other information on this value , just check to see that the elevator trim is centered before takeoff.
dkt3
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:34 pm 

mabey you have a problem with the control stick
robert sylvester

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 pm 

I have a Flight Sim X, which I have flown for years. I just loaded it on a new computer and that went well. I notice that when I take off for some reason the AP kicks in once in flight and I can't find the key to turn it off and I loose the ability to manually fly the aircraft. Which key on the key board activates or de-activates the AP.
Thanks
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:25 pm 

robert sylvester wrote:
I have a Flight Sim X, which I have flown for years. I just loaded it on a new computer and that went well. I notice that when I take off for some reason the AP kicks in once in flight and I can't find the key to turn it off and I loose the ability to manually fly the aircraft. Which key on the key board activates or de-activates the AP.
Thanks

Download and print this out.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1333/fsx-controls-keyboard-commands/

Radar