SearchSearch 

Biggest plane in the world.

This might kinda sound like a dumb question but, I've been trying to figure out what the biggest airplane in the world is? Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

21 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

This might kinda sound like a dumb question but, I've been trying to figure out what the biggest airplane in the world is?

Antonov An-225
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An-225

Wow, thanks! isn't that a beautiful aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

that is a cool plane. anyone know where there is e freeware download of it?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

mossy wrote:

that is a cool plane. anyone know where there is e freeware download of it?

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=an225&CatID=root&Go=Search

I've downloaded it but haven't yet flown it.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

Saw one of these once with a carmicheal MFV fire truck (not small) next to it, it doesn't seem right that it can take off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I've actually seen the smaller version, the An-124 Ruslan, at KPHL and at KRIC. It's smaller than the An-225 but still a huge plane. Antonov leases the aircraft out for transportation of over sized cargo worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An-124

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I have downloaded both the 124 and the 225. I downloaded the 124 becasue I wanted tp use it's panel for the 225. Does anyone know an airport with a long enough runway to get it off the ground?
by the end the default seattle's runway it is still only at about 250 kts, I am guessing the Takeoff speed is around 310.

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

try fairford or manston they're designed to take space shuttles landing so they should be long enough

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

in fact dont try the stock fairford runway isn't anywhere near the real size.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

i tried running both the an 225 and a b-52 down fairford runway and neither got up to speed before running out of runway. they really do need to adress this issue as i know for a fact both aircraft use this runway

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

I have downloaded both the 124 and the 225. I downloaded the 124 becasue I wanted tp use it's panel for the 225. Does anyone know an airport with a long enough runway to get it off the ground?
by the end the default seattle's runway it is still only at about 250 kts, I am guessing the Takeoff speed is around 310.

310 is much too fast, I can't give you an exact rotation speed but my guess would put it around 200-210 KIAS. The problem with many of the free aircraft is that they look like the real thing but there flight characteristics are just made up. 10,000 feet of runway should be more than sufficient. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

i too have seen that smaller version. it was one of the most amazing experience of my life watching it take off

Why has no one corrected the original reply? The posted asked for "biggest" which, typically measured by wingspan, is clearly the Hughes H-4 aka the Spruce Goose. It's got several feet more wing than the 225.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Why has no one corrected the original reply? The posted asked for "biggest" which, typically measured by wingspan, is clearly the Hughes H-4 aka the Spruce Goose. It's got several feet more wing than the 225.

It depends on how you judge largest, normally weight is a more accurate indication of the size of an aircraft. The Hindenburg was over 700 feet long but I wouldn't say it's a bigger aircraft than the An-225 or the Hughes H-4.

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

what part of the .cfg file needs editing to change take off speed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

dl295 wrote:

what part of the .cfg file needs editing to change take off speed

You should not need to change anything if the file was correctly made but flaps up(or the flap position used for T/O) stall speed would effect the speed that the aircraft will take off at.

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

it's just that to get off the ground this an225 needs well over a normal speed at 310, no way is this normal even for a aircraft of it's size.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

dl295 wrote:

it's just that to get off the ground this an225 needs well over a normal speed at 310, no way is this normal even for a aircraft of it's size.

I see your point. That's the problem with many of the free aircraft, the flight model is pure fiction.

Pro Member Trainee
dl295 Trainee

i get the same problem with my space shuttle but that i can see why as it isn't so much a plane as really big and expensive glider. i relly don't want to mess with the config but it relly is starting to bug the hell out of me, although i have found a fun way of taking off the antonov by going hell for leather down a runway on a big hill the extra lift from a big drop helps.