Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

captainsimon wrote:

On the 737-800 can anyone please tell me when the following should be used:
eng anti ice
Wing anti ice
Pitot ice
Thanks in advance

Engine anti-ice: Flight in visible moisture(clouds) with a Temperature of 10 degrees C or less.

Wing anti-ice: When ICE is annunciated by ice detector or ice is visually seen to form on exposed parts of the aircraft. Wing ice effects aren't simulated within FS, just leave it off.

Pitot heat: Normally turned on during the after start checks and left on at all times in flight. Normally turned off during engine shutdown checks at the gate.

Pro Member Trainee
captainsimon Trainee

Thanks CRJ Sir

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Pitot heat: Normally turned on during the after start checks and left on at all times in flight. Normally turned off during engine shutdown checks at the gate.

The rest are correct I believe but not quite sure thats correct as the checklist on the A/C im learning in says check it before takeoff then use as required.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

CRJCapt wrote:

The rest are correct I believe but not quite sure thats correct as the checklist on the A/C im learning in says check it before takeoff then use as required.

You are correct, according to FS learning center. In the real world, large aircraft(airline and corporate) use pitot heat at all times. When you turn it on may differ slightly by airline. Normally it takes a couple of minutes to reach full temperature so they just turn it on at the gate or during the taxi out.

Small aircraft normally use the pitot heat as necessary.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

what is Pitot heat though?

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Micah wrote:

what is Pitot heat though?

I guess heat is provided to the Pitot tube so that it prevents the formation of ice in the tube as this would lead to false airspeed indications..There is also a small vent to let off the water formed....I hope this is correct..

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

thank you, always wondered but never bothered to find out!

Now i know and thanks to Wkipedia, i know how to pronounce it too!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...