Please explain this game?

Hi there all! My father absolutely loves this game and flys quite often. I would like to possibly expand on what he has for Christmas, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand the game enough to do that. I don't even know which one he has. I guess I"m looking for some help with these questions:
1) What are the different flying games available?
2) My father has one that allows him to fly local small airports - where did he get that one? Is it part of a specific game?
3) Can I purchase another game that will allow him to fly bigger airports or other small airports elsewhere?
4) Is there a game that allows you to try different aircraft?
5) Are there accessories I can purchase to make the gaming experience more realistic?

Again - please excuse my stupidity. I know very little about this game. Only that he sits in his office and flys our local airports.
thanks so much!

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hi there all! My father absolutely loves this game and flys quite often. I would like to possibly expand on what he has for Christmas, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand the game enough to do that. I don't even know which one he has. I guess I"m looking for some help with these questions:
2) My father has one that allows him to fly local small airports - where did he get that one? Is it part of a specific game?
3) Can I purchase another game that will allow him to fly bigger airports or other small airports elsewhere?
5) Are there accessories I can purchase to make the gaming experience more realistic?
Again - please excuse my stupidity. I know very little about this game. Only that he sits in his office and flys our local airports.
thanks so much!

1. Flight Simulator X(FSX), Flight Simulator 2004, X-planes, Combat Flight simulator2, Combat flight Simulator 3.
2. FSX and FS2004 allow you to fly at over 20,000 airports world wide.
3. See answer 2.
4. FSX and FS2004 allow you to fly many different aircraft. They range from a small Cessna to a Boeing 747. X planes even allows you to go in to space.
5. More than I can list. Control wheel controllers(Yokes), joy sticks, Rudder pedals, headsets, Throttle Quadrants. Most add ons are software such as improved scenery, more detailed aircraft and improved Air Traffic Control.

PS Please refrain from calling it a game, we take it pretty seriously. Some call it a game but most call it a simulation. It's a little different than most games. You can't win or lose, you can't die, there's no points and it never ends. That's the short list. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
claytonlocher Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

PS Please refrain from calling it a game, we take it pretty seriously. Some call it a game but most call it a simulation. It's a little different than most games. You can't win or lose, you can't die, there's no points and it never ends. That's the short list. 🙂

Yeah...I got kinda nervous there. 😕 😂

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

This is perhaps the best and innocent question I have seen in this forum... 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
biggly Trainee

I think it's great this person cares enough to not only get him something for his hobby but to seek out knowledge of what would be best.

Nice.

I'd say the best bet in such a situation would be to write down the make and model of the controller used then ask in a computer store if they have a newer model..

B

Anonymous wrote:

thanks so much!

In answer to your questions:

1. FSX, FS2004, IL-2:Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, Wing Over Europe, Wings Over Vietnam, MicroSoft CFS2, plus quite a few others you might find online. Only the first two allow you to fly from local airports near your home and are what we call "civilian flight sims". the others are air combat flight sims.

2. He most likely has one of the Microsoft flight simulator games (FS2004, FS202, FS9😎 that he bought at most retailers that sell PC games (wal-mart, target, etc.)or online at places like Amazon.com

3. If he has a Microsoft flight sim then he already has the ability to fly from larger airports or any airport in the world for that matter. he probably chooses to fly where he does because he enjoys those airports.

4. All the sims mentioned allow you to fly different types of aircraft but only Microsoft flight sims (FSX, FS2004/2002/98, CFS2/3) and the Wings Over vietnam/Europe allow addition of new aircraft. MS allows 3rd party developers to create flyable aircraft, most of which can be downloaded for free of the internet at various web sites. The majority of the combat sims don't allow open, 3rd party add-ons and are proprietary in that nature. You're stuck flying with whatever came with the sim.

5. You can buy realistic flight controls or additional software (if he has MS FS2004) to imporve his experience. there are hundreds of add-on software titles that enhance scenery, air traffic, weather, etc. Go to PCAviator.com they have a good selection and are a good starting point. You could also get him a subscription to PC Aviator magazine, which he might like.

Good luck!

Jeff

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...