I need some purchase advice ( was flying in the big bend )

Pro Member Trainee
Dale Evans (DoubleBounce) Trainee

This is a repost because I did not receove any answers to my first post.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:52 pm Post subject: Flying in the Big Bend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could someone please let me know if the scenery in FSX in the West Texas area is better than in FS9 with UT and FSG mesh.

The only reason I am considering FSX is a scenery upgrade. It is my understanding that it is built on a 9 meter mesh.

I downloaded the demo and was impresed but was that scenery only for that area or will I find it in West Texas too.

I would hate to spend 65 dollars and not get an improvement.

I live in a little village called Valentine which is about 40 miles west of Marfa and until I purchased UT for the FS9 I could not find it. UT only shows the streets without buildings but at least I can now find it .

I am old and like to fly slow and low, although 300kts at 100 ft above the ground will get your blood pumping.. My main joy is flying a hot ultralight following the local stream beds through the mountains. Canyon flying at 100 feet and 80 knots is a hoot. AFLAC, I sure am glad that in the sim world ambulance rldes and replacement airaraft are free.

I would appreciate it if somebody out there would fly out of Marfa, TX and post a screenshot of the area.

While you are at it how about taking a short hop 20 miles north to a place called Ft. Davis and see if there is anything there but a highway junction and some town streets.

Thanking all in advance for the help and advice.

I can fly IFR too, but only if I have a good road map.

~~ Dale ~~

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

You can pick up deluxe FSX on Ebay for around 55.00 . I have a standard FSX I'd let you have for 35.00 shipped if you want it...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I don't have FSX but since no one seems to want to respond, I'll try.

I think that there will be an improvement in the scenery but not much. This improvement should increase with Vista and a new Direct X 10 graphics card but presently it's limited.

As you can read in the forum, many people are having many problems with FSX. Most computers have use the low or marginal settings just to get satisfactory performance. Many add on programs won't work with FSX, companies are scrambling to make patches, some for a price, to make there programs FSX compatible. Then they're the installation and registration glitches. I wouldn't buy FSX just to get slightly better scenery at one location, the other problems that it would come with aren't worth it.

Pro Member Trainee

I just found a site with 140 FSX Screenshots and it made up my mind for me.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/microsoftflightsimulatorx/screenindex.html

There is a quantum increase in graphics quality between FS9 and FSX.

I guess I will have to give Santa a hint.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

DoubleBounce wrote:

I wish you the best but don't say I didn't warn you. Those screenshots were not taken on the average computer. Looking forward to your screen shots. 🙂

PS I think I'll copy this post just in case I have to remind you of it in the future. 😛

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

DoubleBounce wrote:

I don't want to burst your bubble either but I'm betting the guy that did those shots is running very high end video cards and every thing that goes with it. Probably SLI 8800s with 4 gig memory and 1000's of dollars tied up in his pc......

Pro Member Trainee

Well I am going to have to give it a try.

Right now I have FS9 with Ultimate Terrain and FS Gensis mesh running with everything but the mips maxed out and I have yet to see a stutter. When I tried the demo I had everything maxed out and it seemed ok. Watching that surf hit the beach was a kick.

My graphics card is a Radion X1300 driving A 19 inch Wide screen LCD at 1440x900/32 bits. I have locked the frame rate at 32 fps and although it's not perfect it works for me. My machine is a 2 year old HP Media Center wigh a gig of ram. The planes fly well and the scenery is good as long as I keep the clouds turned down.

I will let ya'all know how things work out in a couple of weeks.

Got to get presents for the Great Grand Kids before I get a new FS.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...