What Does the ATC Message 'Altimeter 2992' Mean, and How Should I Respond?

M15A Guest

....what does that mean?? And what should I do with that message from ATC?

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Ricksterbman Trainee

It means the present Barometric pressure in the immeadiate area. If your altimeter is not set to the correct barometric pressure, you will get false altitude readings, which could result in disasterous consequences in certain situations.(Possiblity of hitting something on final approach, because you are not as high off the ground as you think you are, as an example )
There is no need to respond to ATC when they give you that information, it is so you can reset your altimeter if necessary.

M15A Guest

thanks! I figured it had to be something like that, thanks for explaining!

Qantas_legend Guest

how do u reset it?

NShadow Guest

yeah how do you manually change this setting? i think to do it automatically, you just press B

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

NShadow wrote:

yeah how do you manually change this setting? i think to do it automatically, you just press B

You can change it manually by putting your mouse cursor over the adjustment knob on the Altimeter(will give you + or - ) then click or use mouse wheel. You can also set the correct setting by pressing B.

NShadow Guest

thanks Capt. that helped *thumbs* 😀

NShadow Guest

wait a minute, i couldnt twist it to 2992. or did i read Ricksterbman's post wrong?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

NShadow wrote:

wait a minute, i couldnt twist it to 2992. or did i read Ricksterbman's post wrong?

29.92 is the standard altimeter setting when you start a flight, it should already be at that default value. Unless you're using real weather. 🙂

Also, that's using the English system, metric will be different.

NShadow Guest

i'm not sure what mine is but all i know is it says 1013 BR on a 777 glass cockpit display thingie

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

NShadow wrote:

i'm not sure what mine is but all i know is it says 1013 BR on a 777 glass cockpit display thingie

Yours is set for metric which is 1013 millibars or hPa. US uses 29.92 inches of mercury, same thing different scales. 🙂
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter

Nshadow Guest

yeah i see it now. on the 747 it says 29.92. not sure why though. i didnt change any settings and yet i get different units on two diff planes. is there a button to change units?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Nshadow wrote:

yeah i see it now. on the 747 it says 29.92. not sure why though. i didnt change any settings and yet i get different units on two diff planes. is there a button to change units?

No button, global settings will effect all aircraft. The primary altimeter setting on the PFD(main display) should say 29.92 in the lower RH corner.

To check your International settings:
To open the International Settings dialog box
On the main screen, click Settings, and then click International.
-or-
From the Options menu, select Settings, and then click International.
Selecting Units of Measure
Click the arrow on the Units of measure box, and then select the units you want to use.
Click OK
Edit-Had to change some info

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

yeah, it's always set to 29.92, and sometimes mine doesn't autochange. so i always like changing mine. thanks to good old trackIR lol

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

The query you have about "Altimeter 2992" pertains to a common instruction given by Air Traffic Control (ATC). Let's break it down:

Altimeter 2992: This signifies the pressure setting that you should input into your altimeter (the instrument that measures your altitude above sea level). It's expressed in inches of Mercury (inHg), and this particular reading corresponds to a standard atmospheric pressure at sea level.

1. Understanding the Altimeter Setting: When you receive this message from ATC, they're providing you with the local barometric pressure. You need to input this value into your aircraft's altimeter to make sure it's accurately reflecting your altitude in relation to the local air pressure. This way, you and other aircraft in the area are using the same reference, reducing the risk of collisions.
  2. How to Use the Information: Depending on your aircraft's model, there will be a knob or control in the cockpit where you can set the altimeter. If you're using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, this can typically be done by clicking and turning the knob located on the altimeter itself. This is also applicable to newer platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020) and X-Plane 12.

Why Is This Important?: Changes in weather conditions can affect air pressure. If you don't adjust your altimeter according to the latest pressure readings, it may display incorrect altitude information. The reading "2992" is a standard one and often used as a reference, but actual readings can vary.

In sum, when you hear "Altimeter 2992" from ATC, it's your cue to adjust your altimeter setting to that value. It's an essential part of maintaining situational awareness and safe flying in controlled airspace.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...