Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

computer restarts suddenly iust after 2-3 minutes flying

Nicola Guest

I just update my computer. I have a ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard with 256 ddr RAM memory AMD Athlon (TM) XP 2400+ 2GH processor and (this COULD BE THE PROBLEM) NVIDIA Ge FX 5200 video card .

Before i was running flight simulator on my IBM G 40 laptop computer and I never had any problem.

Now I've installed FS2004 on my desktop above and after flying 2 or 3 minutes the computer restarts unespectedly. I tried all suggestions found on microsoft web page (updated directx, driver, fs folders and so on) but the problem is still there.

Im desperate and don't know what to do more. Anybody can help me to solve the problem. Any suggestions will be more than welcomed.
THANKS Nicola

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Hi Nicola, I have been experiencing similar problems recently, but mine will restart after touchdown at the airport!
I'm thinking it could be one of two things. Your GFX card is quite slow, are you pushing the details too hard? Also have you added any graphical enhancement packages/planes?
I added a LearJet, and everytime I tried to fly it, FS9 would quit. Also I think the trouble with the landing I'm having is due to the Airport Enhancement package I installed.
Or does this problem occur on a clean install?
(Another 256-512Mb RAM would be a good investment, too)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The only things that I can add to what Steeev said is to shut down some of your programs running in the background (they use up memory) and clean your fans, the CPU may be overheating.

Radar

Nicola Guest

Hi Steeev,
thank you for your reply. In effect one of the first thing I noticed was that it restarts just before landing, but after a cuple of restarts it shout down more quickly and so i forgot about that. I haven't added anythink, it is just a plain version. For you second suggestion, first time I push some video details( high resolution on hardware, plane and whether tab) but after experiencing the problem i put everything back in default configuration. 3rd sugg I already thought to another RAM and probably I'll add it.
Hi RadarMan,
thanks you too for your reply and suggestions. Overheathing could be a problem because I found the top of the case very hot when I use it at my home. I said that since I took the computer to my brother in low to try it (he is like a computer expert) and it runs perfectly. Usually I have my computer in a open cabinet, but during that trial it was in the middle of the room. About background programs I already reduced them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Think about adding a fan in the rear, it's easy to do and doesn't cost much at all. A fan in the front to pull in cool air is the best.

Good luck.
Let us know how it all works out.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

It definitely sounds as though overheating is the problem, and RadarMan's suggestion of a fan inside the case should solve the problem.
Also, If you have some spare spaces at the back of your case, you could just remove the plate covering the PCI expansion slots, to let air flow over your graphics card and sound card. (It's always a good idea to try and install a sound card at least two slots apart from your GFX card, if possible, as both can produce a lot of heat)
Not as effective as a fan case though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I also installed a PCI fan next to my video card. It cost $12.95 in the store and this on the net, same one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=39598&CatId=804

Radar