EGGP/Liverpool Upgrade

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I received a newsletter from my flying school today. In this it spoke about upgrades to the runways at EGGP. Here is what it had to say...

September saw the start of the reconstruction of Liverpool's runway.

The runway was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1966 and this is the first time the runway has been reconstructed, as opposed to resurfaced, in those forty years.

In addition to runway and shoulder work is the upgrade of the 40 year old airfield group lighting with a new system, which will upgrade the runway to Cat III standards. This means a temporary reduction in airfield lighting is in effect.

Work is also underway on the taxiways, which are being strengthened and resurfaced. Taxiway Delta (the 09 loop) has been slightly reconfigured, while the holding point G is now active again.

We are now into the last part of the work, which is phase 4. To facilitate this work the runway is closed from 22:30 hours until 06:00 hours every night until the end of March. So pilots must be aware of constant changes in runway and taxiway instructions from the ATIS and ATC.

Check the NOTAMS also regarding temporary lighting or building/crane obstacles as well as reduced runway distances. There are no problems at all during the opening hours, JUST BE ALERT and prepared for any changes on the day you fly.

Taxiways, Echo, Foxtrot and Golf will need to be closed during phase 4. Closure periods will be notified by NOTAM. Beware that a taxiway may have opened/closed since your departure, so after landing, read back any instructions by the ATC to vacate the runway, to avoid any misunderstanding.

Its good to see EGGP getting upgraded to Cat III.
I know this probably wont interest a lot of people but its here for the people that are interested.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Work certainly needed doing

Where does the funding come from for that out of interest. Isn't JLA heavily in debt or is it coming out of capital of culture money

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Im not sure.

I heard that the airport are implementing a new turnstile for passengers. Before going to the gates you need to pay £2 to get through these turnstiles. Apparently it is to cover the cost of the new security checks.

http://www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com/page.php?p=3&offset=0&media_id=184

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Doyley wrote:

Im not sure.

I heard that the airport are implementing a new turnstile for passengers. Before going to the gates you need to pay £2 to get through these turnstiles. Apparently it is to cover the cost of the new security checks.

http://www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com/page.php?p=3&offset=0&media_id=184

Yeah saw that in the Echo, I think they are just trying to claw back money whereever they can

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

ah - thanks for posting, Ill keep in mind Ill need to update my charts after work has been completed Wink

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Do you know more specifically what cat III the Runway will become?

III A
III B
III C

?????

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Unfortunatly not, it just said Cat III.
I will ask around and let you know if I find out.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...