Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Dual Monitors

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Is anyone here running dual montiors for FS9?

I was curious to know how it's working for you as far as fram rates and is it really worth it?

I can get a 17" for abour $45, and plan on putting another fan on the system as well. I am guessing another fan can't hurt.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've added two fans to mine, a fan in the rear and a PCI fan to cool my video card even more than it's own fan does.
A fan in front is the best, it blows in cool air on the CPU and the rear fan(S) take the hot out.

Many run two monitors, you will take some away from your fps but to have your GPS or whatever on the second monitor would be great.
A video card (MOST) have two outlets, one for a CRT and one for a LCD. You can get an adapter for two CRT"s.
You can also get a cheaper PCI (64mb) card just for the second monitor.
How about what this guy has, I want I want!!!!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

OK, either:

A) He's really rich.

B) Looks like Bill Gates but with no money left.

C) Has a serious issue with life.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I think he's running IL2FB but...I don't know how to judge someone like that
We're "obsessed" but not to that extent.
It's an unbelievably expensive set-up but I see cockpit kits for sale that run ell over ten grand.

I wonder if he ever sees the sun...the little Walter Mitty in him has escaped.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

I am active duty Air Force and havent seen a set up like that in a regular simulator. We have "dead space" beneath the screens in the C-130 sims.

It makes it really hard for us Navigators to call visual drops..

"There goes the drop zone...it just dissapeared...uh, GREEN LIGHT!!!"

(Cross fingers)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

These are home built and bought in kit form or just plans.
If you want to see some let me know and I can hunt them down, I've seen them many times, some forums have a section for cockpit builders.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I am running multiple monitor for some year. There are 2-3 preliminary questions:
What video card you own?
What operating system and what CPU you own

There is not really affect on the frame rate any how no more then
Opening a secondary window on your original monitor
What I did I transferred the main panel, GPU, radio stock to the secondary
Monitor. Those items are not frame hungry.
I can recommend you some previous post on that matter
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1393/using-multiple-monitors/
And there are some other links on the web specificly on that

Pro Member First Officer

I own a Nvidia 256 mb GForce 5600 video card
I have a 2.8 ghz P4

The problem is that I can't seem to find a HD-15 Male to DVI Female converter to be able to plug it into the back. I looked all over the place online. They have HD-15 Male to Male, but who would need that??

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Since I'm not at all familiar with what you need I posted a number of outlets that show cables like you asked for. I hope one will be the winner for you.
By the way, call CompUSA.

HD-15 Male to DVI Female converter

http://www.directron.com/dviadapter.html

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/30dv-05300.htm

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php?form_keyword=dvi+to+vga&topcat_id=1&mode=googlecp

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

I got what I needed from tigerdirect after I realized that there "cables and connectors" is another website all together.

Anyway, it looks like this is going to be a little more indepth that I thought. I figured that you could just open up the GPS, Throttle, etc and drag them to the other monitor. You have to go into the FS9 menu and dock them in their own windows and then drag them over to the other monitor.

It's no biggie, but you apparently have to do this each time you start up. It's just a thing with the Nvidia card I suppose.

I'm not going to add another fan because the Nvidia card website says it isn't neccessary and I don't want to mess around with anything more than I have to. I will pay attention to the temp and if it does go up, then I'll break down and put one in.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get a monitor. I am going to go look around this weekend and see what I can find.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a shame that you have to do it every time but I can only imagine how nice it would be to have the aircraft on one monitor and the GPS on another.
I have a 17" not in use (backup) and I fly on my 22" 20" viewable flat screen CRT. Tempting because I have a spare ATI 64mb PCI card.
The main reason I put my first fan in the rear was to pull out (and conversely suck in cool air from the front) hot air from the CPU which has a habit of overheating with FS9.
I don't know if this temperature meter will work for you, I use it.
It's only for P-4's and that's what I think you have.
Read it and see.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Radar

Av8r77
What you need is something called DVI to VGA adapter.
At the state the price range is some where around 2.5 to 28 dollars.
I am sure u can have it at UK some where for 4-6 sterling. Some times it delivered in the box when u buy the card.
The part of transferring the selected items to the secondary monitor it is with evry type of card but it is not a big deal. U have to save your flight not in full screen format and then right click on GPS for example->undock-> and drag

The above from Rafi