SearchSearch 

Disappointed with FSX

Pro Member Trainee
Nairne Peter Scott (Nairne) Trainee

😞 Does anybody else think as I do, my first impressions of the new sim is that it falls short of expectations. I've grown up with MS Sims and I don't get the right feel about this one. I will persevere and hopefully my opinion will change. What do you think ❓



Last edited by Nairne Peter Scott (Nairne) on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total

20 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

I love it but then i've not bought a version since FS98 ! so i'm probably not in an ideal position to comment lol

I think FSX will grow in appeal when there is a full range of addons as with fs 2004

Then they will bring Fs 11 out

🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nairne wrote:

😞 Does anybody else think as I do, my first impressions of the new sim is that it falls short of expectations. I've grown up with MS Sims and I don't get the right feel about this one. I will persevere and hopefully my opinion will change. What do you think ❓

If you have a top of the line machine it looks great, if not that's why your disappointed.

Take a look at some of the screenshots that are posted and you'll know the sim is by far the best they ever made.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Nathan (AlphaJet1029) Trainee

Yeh, Radar Man is right.

Unless you have a top of the line computer, and all the latest motherboards, cpu's and other stuff, your impression of it will be dishearting, but if you have somewhat the latest computer, motherboard and cpu, then it should, just should fill ytour heart with joy.

I've tried the demo, Microsoft could of put some of their better scenery and planes in the demo, but it is still an extremeyl big leap for all flight simulator enthusists and also for Microsoft.
All i have is priase for FSX and i hope that the add-ons that were orignally made for FS2004 will be thus made to co-inside with FSX.

Thanks!

Nath

Pro Member Trainee
Nairne Peter Scott (Nairne) Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

Nairne wrote:

😞 Does anybody else think as I do, my first impressions of the new sim is that it falls short of expectations. I've grown up with MS Sims and I don't get the right feel about this one. I will persevere and hopefully my opinion will change. What do you think ❓

If you have a top of the line machine it looks great, if not that's why your disappointed.

Take a look at some of the screenshots that are posted and you'll know the sim is by far the best they ever made.

Radar

Hi Radar Man, My system is a Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor, 2 Gig of DDR Ram and a ATI Radeon 256mb graphics card is this good enough ❓

Nairne

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nairne wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Nairne wrote:

😞 Does anybody else think as I do, my first impressions of the new sim is that it falls short of expectations. I've grown up with MS Sims and I don't get the right feel about this one. I will persevere and hopefully my opinion will change. What do you think ❓

If you have a top of the line machine it looks great, if not that's why your disappointed.

Take a look at some of the screenshots that are posted and you'll know the sim is by far the best they ever made.

Radar

Hi Radar Man, My system is a Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor, 2 Gig of DDR Ram and a ATI Radeon 256mb graphics card is this good enough ❓

Nairne

It certainly should be, start tweaking the slides.
You may have some of the wrong ones maxed out stealing resources form the others.
Keep the FPS at 20, autogen at medium, clouds low and watch how much scenery you use.
Play play play with new settings, the longer you take the better it will be.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

Keep the FPS at 20,

Radarman.. Is 20 FPS a tad to low being optimal FPS for movies,dvd's etc are at 30fps? Have you been running 20 with good results?

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Ummm, I have a pretty good for smooth working computer, but lets say like this. I am waking up in the morning, turning on my computer and in the desktop I see, FSX FS2004, I always choose FS2004 not FSX i duno why but FSX runns smooth. So I play fs2004 until get bored then when bored FSX, but fs2004 #1 ! eventhough FSX more realistic. But this is how me FS2004 takes you sometimes for more fun then FSX.

Guys dont be offended but this is my opinion.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

skypilot2 wrote:

Keep the FPS at 20,

Radarman.. Is 20 FPS a tad to low being optimal FPS for movies,dvd's etc are at 30fps? Have you been running 20 with good results?

For video use 27-30 right, but I fly smoothly at much less.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Jim WA3ERQ (aidcop) Trainee

I am also dissapointed with X. My system meets the system requirements with absoutely no problem, but I'm guessing that the issues I am having are possibly due to the chipset. I noticed that some folks refer to a newer system which concerns me since an older system meeting the requirements should have no problem.

Pent 4 3.0GHz
XP SP2
2GB RAM
Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB DDR2 RAM
750GB Storage

There should be no reason why I can't set my slides to at least High with this system.

Any suggestions?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Hey guys, most of you know how great some of my scenery screenshots looked great with FS2004. I got FSX Deluxe from my wife for Xmas as a stocking stuffer. I have the following PC....

AMD Athlon64 3400+
NForce 3 250GB Epox Motherboard
2GB PC3200 Matched Memory
160GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0
ATI X850 Pro 256Mb AGP DDR3 memory edition
WinXP Pro SP2
Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition

...and there is no way I can run this sim even close to what it should be. Quite surprising and disappointing too. This is a very nice PC and vid card, and can't believe the hog that FSX is. I wonder if it is mostly a driver issue and not a hardware issue. I am also pissed at MS for showing the min. requirements to run the sim really low. It is poor information and wrong for MS to market it as such. They should show at least a 3GHZ cpu, 1GB Ram, and my vid card as the basics to really run the sim.

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

NOW I HAVE TO UPGRADE HARDWARE!!!!! 😕 Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

aidcop wrote:

I am also dissapointed with X. My system meets the system requirements with absoutely no problem, but I'm guessing that the issues I am having are possibly due to the chipset. I noticed that some folks refer to a newer system which concerns me since an older system meeting the requirements should have no problem.

Pent 4 3.0GHz
XP SP2
2GB RAM
Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB DDR2 RAM
750GB Storage

There should be no reason why I can't set my slides to at least High with this system.

Any suggestions?

Lower some of the resource eating settings, like autogen and clouds.
Play around with them, tweaking will show results.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

One thing really killing aidcop is that the ATi 1600Pro only has a 128-bit memory interface and 12 pipelines. AidCop assuming you are still using AGP check out a video card with at least 16 pipelines and 256-bit memory interface. NOT to be mistaken with the physical memory of the video card.

Here is a nice replacement

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

😎

ed2918 Guest

I just loaded my copy and it is very disappointing. Having FS 2004 for a year or so it worked flawless.

My computer is HP with 120G HD, 512 Megs RAM, 128 Video card, and a 2 gig CPU. What else do I need. Is this a ploy to install Vista and DX 10? I just unloaded X and put back 2004. CAn anybody tell me what I need to run FS X.

ed2918@yahoo.com

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

ed2918 wrote:

I just loaded my copy and it is very disappointing. Having FS 2004 for a year or so it worked flawless.

My computer is HP with 120G HD, 512 Megs RAM, 128 Video card, and a 2 gig CPU. What else do I need. Is this a ploy to install Vista and DX 10? I just unloaded X and put back 2004. CAn anybody tell me what I need to run FS X.

ed2918@yahoo.com

Not to be a smart ass but you really should be disappointed in you PC, not FSX. You are really under memory to run FSX at a decent rate. If you could at least bump your memory to 2 gig that would help. FSX is a little disappointing to those that were running FS9 because it ran so smoothly. I didn't have 9 to compare it too so I was pretty happy with 10. I did end up doing a bunch of upgrades so I am ready for vista and direct 10. Also are you not wanting to upgrade to Vista and dx10. Sounds like they are both gonna take us into the next generation in gaming. Should be a lot of fun...

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft should have just released 2004 again and called it FSX

What is the point in them trying to progress the quality of the sim to make use of the very latest technologies if everyone just wants to keep running it on their old pc's and then complaining that it doesn't work properly

ed2918 Guest

You are right about the upgrade. I am looking at the options. Any recommendations for a video card?

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

ed2918 wrote:

You are right about the upgrade. I am looking at the options. Any recommendations for a video card?

nvidia 8800 if you can afford it. There pretty spendy. 2 of them going sli would really be the ticket. I didn't want to spend 600.00 on a card so I bought a nvidia 7950 that runs the sim pretty well. I'm guessing after vista and dx10 is out for a while that all these cards will come down on price..

ED2918 Guest

Thanks. I am a casual Flt Simmer. The cost is expensive to upgrade to a Gaming Computer. My HP has 128MB on-board integrated graphics. In addtion to more memory, maybe i slip a graphics card in one of my PCI slots. I do not have PCI Express/or AGP. Is that doable?

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

ED2918 wrote:

Thanks. I am a casual Flt Simmer. The cost is expensive to upgrade to a Gaming Computer. My HP has 128MB on-board integrated graphics. In addtion to more memory, maybe i slip a graphics card in one of my PCI slots. I do not have PCI Express/or AGP. Is that doable?

It seems that memory and graphic cards are the biggest improvemrnts you can add. Do you have any buddies that know how to build PC's. If you do you can build a pretty nice PC for a grand or less. Buy your hardware from Tiger Direct or Newegg or places like that. Stay away from best buy unless you want it quick and don't mind spending retail.

GUEST Guest

Nairne wrote:

😞 Does anybody else think as I do, my first impressions of the new sim is that it falls short of expectations. I've grown up with MS Sims and I don't get the right feel about this one. I will persevere and hopefully my opinion will change. What do you think ❓

you probably have one of the early DVD.

go to http://fsinsider.com/ and download the updates.
I did, and it made a big difference.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions