SearchSearch 

Incredibly High-end video card

FSX2456 Guest

When Vista comes around and DX 10 is out, should the Nvidia 8800 GTX be able to handle FSX on high to very high settings well? Right now, it does seem to be the most powerful card ever as it easily blows away its competition. The techinal specifications are truly beyond amazing! FSX, however, has truly blown away all existing technologies on home computer system graphics in respects to settings, frame rates, and peformance. Will the 8800 GTX have the might enough to conquer Flight Simlulator X?

3 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

FSX2456 wrote:

When Vista comes around and DX 10 is out, should the Nvidia 8800 GTX be able to handle FSX on high to very high settings well? Right now, it does seem to be the most powerful card ever as it easily blows away its competition. The techinal specifications are truly beyond amazing! FSX, however, has truly blown away all existing technologies on home computer system graphics in respects to settings, frame rates, and peformance. Will the 8800 GTX have the might enough to conquer Flight Simlulator X?

I believe it will but to achieve the desired results, you will need a fast processor to go with it and as much RAM as you can install/afford. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

As CRJCapt said, there's a lot more to it than just the video card (though FSX certainly places more emphasis there than FS9 did). I do know people with the 8800GTX, a E6600 C2D processor, and 2GB+ RAM. They still had to overclock in order to get the best results from FSX. How the future patches, DX10, Vista, etc, will change performance remains to be seen.

cyvr Guest

I am one of the lucky bastard who just got a C2D and 8800GT system.

Here is some observations:

FSX is VERY CPU dependent, especially if you turn up AI and autogen.
I am running my C2D(6400) at 3.0 Ghz when playing FSX and it's still CPU limited.

8800gts is overkill for FSX right now unless you have a 50+ HDTV. I can play the game with lots of antialiasing and AF with no performance drop.

FSX never uses more than 2GB of RAM with everything on max (no addon) so 2GB should be enough.