SearchSearch 

need help with hardware choices

Pro Member Trainee
flyrv Trainee

I am in the process of having a gaming computer built. I am going to use one of the Shuttle P2 series systems. The help I need is in deciding on a processor and graphics card. I am fairly new at this although I have dabbled with the various MS FS versions over the years. I have FS 2004 and FS X but no computer that runs FS X very well. I have read a couple of articles in Computer Pilot that sort of advise against one of the dual core processors and a high end graphics card stating that FS X isn't written for those products. Yet both of the writers seem to have just those systems. Both state no graphics cards capable of handling DX10 graphics exists. yet the GEforce 8800 series state that they are. I do not want to spend money needlessly but also since I am building from scratch, I do not want to waste money buying a lesser processor and graphics card just to replace them in a year. I do plan to use WinXP until Vista gets the bugs worked out. Here are the questions: Intel or AMD; dual core or single; Geforce 7900 or 8800? I will appreciate any help anyone can give me.

4 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Here is a link to a computer article that tested some of the fastest computers on the market. Maybe there choices in hardware will help you decide. They even show how well the run FSX. I want the Voodoo system.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156027

PS Welcome to Flyaway 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
flyrv Trainee

Thanks CRJCapt. Unfortuntely, I am unable to open URL. I looked over the 1UP site for something that would link me to it to no avail.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Try this site: www.falcon-nw.com. I hope you have deep pockets..... 'cause these will cost you. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

flyrv wrote:

Thanks CRJCapt. Unfortuntely, I am unable to open URL. I looked over the 1UP site for something that would link me to it to no avail.

This is the name of the article, maybe you can find it on their site.
GFW's Ultimate Gaming Machine
Top PC rigs put through the wringer.
By GFW Staff, 12/20/2006