SearchSearch 

Computer Upgrades

Pro Member Trainee
maxwell2006 Trainee

i want to run fsx fairly close to maxed out. right now my configuration is...

amd 3400+
ati x800xl 256 agp
1gb ram.

now i can run fsx maxed out but it is fairly choppy, so my question is... is it worth buying a more expensive AGP card or should i get a new mobo/cpu with PCIE since it has more bandwidth and whatnot. if you guys could recommend a new mobo cpu and gfx card that would be great, i would like to stick with amd. i also have a budget so dont just tell me to buy the best stuff hahaha. thanks!

2 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

PCIe is better, it's the future, Vista will have DX 10 so get a card that will handle that.
You have to test the rest of your hardware for Vista.
If you get it then jump to at least 3 gigs of ram, 1 or more for Vista and the rest for FSX.

I have 4 gigs now just to prepare for VISTA sucking all the ram it wants.

And yes, spend all you can, it'll pay off in the long term.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

maxwell2006 wrote:

i want to run fsx fairly close to maxed out. right now my configuration is...

amd 3400+
ati x800xl 256 agp
1gb ram.

now i can run fsx maxed out but it is fairly choppy, so my question is... is it worth buying a more expensive AGP card or should i get a new mobo/cpu with PCIE since it has more bandwidth and whatnot. if you guys could recommend a new mobo cpu and gfx card that would be great, i would like to stick with amd. i also have a budget so dont just tell me to buy the best stuff hahaha. thanks!

From seeing what you have, you'll need a major upgrade!! I mean from the ground up!! If you like to do this on a budget, bump this thread and I'll link you to some sites to get you to run FSX at 75%, but at least you'll be able to run Vista.