Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

WHAT A COMBINATION - I HAVE FS2006

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

....Ok, I perhaps shouldn't have said I have FS2006 but I feel like I have! I just wanted to drop a posting saying how awesome the following combination is, and how my FS2004 set-up has been transformed.

Although I'm not a millionaire, I have spent a small fortune on commercial CD-ROM add-ons over the last 3 months, to get my set up as good as I could.

Some add-ons have been amazing (737NG, A340, RAF Tornedo), and some have beyond disappointing (A320 Pilot in Command, A320 Fly By Wire) but the following combination has just TRANSFORMED my FS2004 set-up into something that barely resembles the original 'default only' set-up that I had up until 3 months ago...

I'm talking about :-

- Just Flight FS Traffic 2004
- Just Flight FS Terrain
- Just Flight World Airports 2
- Lago Holiday Resorts

The combination of these add-ons gives me the amazing traffic in dozens of real-world Airlines, superb land terrain (even in areas of default scenery), some amazing Airports to fly in and out of, and some gorgeous non-airport scenery to explore.

I do not think it would be possible to get anything better than this on any PC until Pentium V is released and 4096Mb is standard for RAM !

My most recent addition is the aforementioned WORLD AIRPORTS 2... It is not my any means perfect as they have simply gone TOO FAR with some scenery detail which drags Frame Rates down to 6.0, even on my super-computer! But you can "de-select" some elements of Scenery (trees use a lot of RAM for some reason!), and when you get the balance right, the Airports are amazing.... I now have Active Jetway docking, Ground Servicing, Marshalling (in Luton), I have Airliners in real liveries from all over the world, taxi-ing around the airports, I have an ENGLISH Pilot's voice, due to the Voice Pack expansion that comes with World Airports 2 (although I quite liked having a Maryland accent for a while!)..

.... in other words, this is the Dogs Cashews !!

Considering these 4 core add-ons can be bought on ebay for as little as £40 ($60) for the lot, the difference they have made to FS2004 is phenominal and I couldn't recommend them enough.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 2 out of 4 aint bad 🙂 I have FS terrain and Traffic 2004
And I give them both 10/10
I also have Airport 2002 (made for fs8 but works ok in fs9)7/10 Some scenery looks a bit dated
VFR Scenery,again made for fs8 but works ok 8/10 (only 8 as it take an age to load)

I like the sound of the Holiday Resorts

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I love the "super computer" comment....You've got "Humble" pouring out of your ears!

Pro Member Captain

Hey I wasn't bragging - honest! Just that World Airports 2 must need a Computer that is Spec'd by NASA to get Frame Rates over 10+, if you leave all of the scenery components set on.....

But if you remove some trees and Stationary Planes (you don't need stationary planes when you have FS Traffic 2004), you get decent performance.

TTT - you have a similar set-up, maybe your Airports 2002 is a bit dated but I bet you get better Frame Rates! I tried VFR Photo Scenery but took it back as it did take too long to load up each batch.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

TTT, GPS-Kid
I understand that you both have FS terrain. What I would like to know:
1. How it is effected your frame rate
2. Is it a different terrain? For example medium sized cites cities I can’t see them today will appear on the “new “ FS terrain? 😕 The only add on I have today is USRoads

Pro Member Captain

Hi Rafi,

FS Terrain replaces the 'skin' of the world's surface within FS2004... (but it doesn't cover the whole world)....

So it doesn't change any actual scenery, but it adds mountains, hills, valleys, cliff edges, by "stretching" the existing scenery in a way which really brings it to life.

FS Terrain has had absolutely no effect on Frame Rates for me, it just replaces the default terrain references, so FS2004 "look up" the new ones instead of the old ones when displaying scenery.

There are "High", "medium" and "low" settings for each area that it covers so if Frame Rates were affected you can lower the Terrain detail.

Great piece of kit!