Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Time for some new PC parts ......

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Well after playing FSX Deluxe for hours now, I decided to get rid of my old Nforce 3, AMD64 3200 and ATi X850PE system. I only had $500 to spend so here is my new solution and should have all the parts for a rebuild next weekend. I am only keeping the lights, Case and Dual SATA drives for Raid 0, and my DVD-R drives. The new stuff is .......

AMD64 4200+ Socket 939 CPU
575 Watt SLI Power Supply
Abit Nforce 4 SLI Motherboard
Dual (2) Nvidia GeForce 7800GT in SLI Mode.
2GB Matching Channel Mushkin Memory

I hope the dual cards in SLI mode , memory along with new CPU speed will allow me to run FSX on near full graphic potential. If not it's ok, I needed to do the overhaul any way.

I AM EXCITED ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!!!!! Twisted Evil 😉 😳 😳 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Looks good but I would up that p/s to a 750w minimum and make it a name brand or it won't handle those two cards.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

And I would add two more gigs to the memory department....... 😉

Pro Member First Officer

The power supply checks out as an Antec SLI ready unit. The minimum specs. show 575 rates watts with a max output of 700 watt, so I should be 'ok'. As far as the memory goes, I believe 2GB is good enough for now. The board does have 4 slots and a max of 4GB support. Seems a bit much for now, maybe I am wrong? I just can't wait to see how well SLI will up the graphics of the sim.

Thanks for the support!!!!!!!!!

AstroSteve

bobbyz Guest

astrosteve wrote:

I just can't wait to see how well SLI will up the graphics of the sim.

AstroSteve

I don't think FSX can take advantage of SLI

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

bobbyz wrote:

astrosteve wrote:

I just can't wait to see how well SLI will up the graphics of the sim.

AstroSteve

I don't think FSX can take advantage of SLI

Right, and I have Crossfire, maybe down the line...hopefully.

Radar

onevim Guest

According to SLIZone.com, MS FS X supports SLI.

I am planning a similar build for FSX, so I will be interested to hear the performance results.

Pro Member First Officer

Hi everyone. Just an update on my new SLi Performance. After installing and updating FSX it set my graphic settings to High on most everything as default. I am having no issues with running High - Ultra High on most settings. It's not perfect, but can tell allot more breathing room. If you have driver 93.71 it supports SLi for FSX. Their is an application file for the sim.

I would recommend an SLi or Crossfire setup to anyone looking to upgrade. The most important advice I can give anyone going in this direction is spend money on a Certified SLi/Crossfire Power Supply. DO NOT BUY A POWER SUPPLY THAT IS LESS THAN 20amps on the 12Volt+ per rail!!!! MOST PSU NOW SPLIT THE 12V+ in two.

For example look for a PSU that will show you 12V+1 20Amps 12V+2 20Amps.

The Power supply should not be less than 500 Watts minimum (NOT MAX WATTS)