Try this approach!!!

Elkin Guest

I flew to Alaska, Achorage, from Seattle in the 747. The next day, I drove the van all over the mountains and came across this airport!!!!

I think that Dan Doherty would be impressed. Look at this crazy airport!!

I put in to screenshots. Weater they get in or not,,,

Anyway, Check out this airfield!!!!! KAQY Alaska. Just outside of Anchorage.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Elkin Guest

Hey!!! Did any of you go to that approach? Airfield?!?! BTW it is AQY If you put a 'k' in front of it (KAQY) it takes you to Rangoon or something!

Alaska Is Great!!!! The turbulance is so wicked!!

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

This was actually the first "daring" approach i'd ever discovered. I used to fly seaplanes around anchorage all the time when i first purchased MSFS. The nearby cranes drew me in, and the airport was too good to pass up a landing =). Thus far i've only successfully landed it in a mooney-bravo and smaller.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Elkin wrote:

Hey!!! Did any of you go to that approach? Airfield?!?! BTW it is AQY If you put a 'k' in front of it (KAQY) it takes you to Rangoon or something!

Alaska Is Great!!!! The turbulance is so wicked!!

The airfield is Girdwood (AQY) and it is a 2088 ft gravel runway. A tough strip to take off and land on.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I couldn't believe it!!!!!

I wonder if Dan Doherty knows about it?!?! You know that guy that does those dangerous approaches?? I gotta tell him about it.

So far I have landed the C-208 there.

GRUESOME!!!

Y'all be careful now, ya hear!!

Guest Guest

Holy crap! What were they thinking of when they put an airport there? It's like taking off from inside a shoe box! No such thing as "depart straight out." As soon as the wheel are up, you'd better be turning! On the approach, the best way I could find was to come in low and slow perpendicular to the runway, the make a sharp turn to the south and cut the engine.

That was fun!! 😀

Ed

Guest Guest

Another airport nearby that's kind of fun: 2AK7 (Bald Mountain), about 70 miles northwest of Anchorage. It's a 1000' foot runway on top of a 3600 foot tall mesa. Sort of like AQY upside down!

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Cedar Key, FL KCDK

Glenwood Springs KGWS

St Barthelemy TFFJ (this one is nuts!!!)

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Hmm, I think I tried KAQ or something similar in Alaska. Thought I'd take off, buzz and land.
Imagine my horror when my Baron sunk without trace... Turns out the "runways" are a couple of lakes! 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I tried 2AK7 last night, what a kick. My DC3 and Aeronca made it without a problem but my Tomcat didn't have a chance.
Taking off isn't to bad but landing without falling off the edge of the world isn't too easy.
My Aeronca fell off the end but as she fell I gave a little throttle, picked up banked around for another chance at landing.
That is one great place to play!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Av8r77 wrote:

Aye carumba! 😳 You are right, it is nuts. Maybe I am nuts too, because I tried it with my default aircraft, the Baron 58. On the second attempt I actually thought I was going to do it. I think I need a smaller plane.

Av8r77, I assume you did a successful landing there. What runway and what was the largest aircraft you used?

Pro Member First Officer

I used a Cessna and cut the power with full flaps over the tree line on Rwy 24 I beleive it is.

You have to come at it at an angle and then dive down...

I didn't make it from the other way.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I almost made Rwy 10, which imho, is the more difficult of the two. (I love a challenge) My mistake was not cutting the power at the top of the hill but a second or two later. I came in on an angle, flared nicely; however my speed was still too fast.

Pro Member First Officer

KAQY is a glitch. I found this link on avsim.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&DLID=52052

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Av8r77,

Excellent find, thank you!

I was at Girdwood yesterday and realized this is not right.
thanks again. I just downloaded the fix. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I just checked out those FS9 scenery errors for "Two Massive Holes and Four Other Errors". I did recently notice the big hill flying into Memphis recently. Never having visited Memephis I did not know if a hill such as the one seen in FS9 actually existed.

The two large and very deep holes after flying over them had me thinking, did the MS FS9 team actually put them there as a sort of easter egg. They are quite a mistake otherwise. And I did find the Girdwood airstrip quite extraordinary as seen in FS9.

Here a description of the FS9 errors as describe in the fix "six_default_fixes.zip".

File Description:
This scenery patch corrects six problems in the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 default scenery. Specifically, in FS2004, Millwood Lake which is situated in Arkansas has an enormous error in which half the surface of the lake is 15,000 ft below sea level. The next error is similar to the first error and is situated at Stockton Lake in west-central Missouri at a depth of 11,500 ft below sea level. The next glitch is near Memphis, Tennessee where an airport flatten is causing a hill (or cliff if using high resolution mesh terrain) where there is no airport. The next problem is in Alaska at Girdwood airport (AQY) where the adjacent river is placed too high making cliffs right next to the airport. Another glitch at Davis airport (KMKO) in Muskogee, Oklahoma exists where the runways are situated over large sinkholes and the runways themselves are floating. The final glitch is in Guiana, South America where a 100,000+ ft chasm and a 60,000 ft spire exist along a river. These files correct these errors and reproduce the lakes at their proper elevations, remove the big hill near Memphis, fix the floating runways at Davis airport, lower the elevation of the river at Girdwood airport, and remove the 100,000+/60,000 ft chasm/spire.

To see the 15,000 ft hole error at Millwood Lake, start at Glenn Winchester airport (2AR6) and fly heading 175 for 6.5 nm.
To see the 11,500 ft hole error at Stockton Lake, start at Stockton Mun (MO3) and fly heading 120 for 6 nm.
To see the big hill near Memphis error, start at Delta Flying Service Inc airport (MS65) and fly heading 117 for 2 nm.
To see the floating runways at Davis airport (KMKO), simply start at Davis airport (KMKO)!
To see the Girdwood river 'cliffs', simply start at Girdwood airport (AQY)!
To see the 100,000+/60,000 ft chasm/spire, start at Kamarang (SYKM) and fly heading 163 for 6 nm.

gmcgee Guest

I've turned this in to Microsoft. I don't know if anyone else has. I haven't received a response from them other than they would get back to me. I hope they are truly concerned. I don't know how active their de-bugging team are and if they are genuinely concerned.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Av8r77 wrote:

Yep, I tried that one. I seem to recall that it was designed for STOL, but I could be wrong. After all, the last time I was in that area was31 years ago.

Most of the others are just samples of MS getting the mesh wrong.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...