Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Recreating FS9 Default Historic Flights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 pm 

(Flight continued from previous page - you need to read the intro to really appreciate what this flight is all about.)

Within minutes my leader turned to the south and I thought maybe we were entering the pattern.

In order to take off quickly behind the leading DC-3 for this flight, I just taxied out and took off right behind him without clearance from the tower. I didnt know how else to start this. But the result left me with no radio contact with anyone. Guess the landing will be just as questionable.

I guess the guy that had been following us was heading further south.

I stayed close to my leader as we turned to right base. This was getting pretty exciting. I was very confident in flying the aircraft, but was nervous about doing it right behind the leader.

Here we go!

Heres the tower view of us coming their way.

Last edited by SpiderWings on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:00 pm 

Oh boy!???

It was hard to stay behind.

Short final - another DC-3 holding for us. This really is DC-3 country with the new download!

Okay get down and slow down. dont run over him!

Not tooooo bad! That was very fun!

Is that Governor Sarah up on that balcony?

Now just to park and shut down.

He went into the hanger and out the other end to take off again. Guess Ill just park here.

Here comes the guy that landed behind us. He also turned into the hanger and out again. I guess there is no rest for the AI.

Note: This was one of my favorite flights in terms of fun. Im not sophisticated enough to know how to make it happen with proper clearances. It makes me want to get together on-line with some of you other members for some flights. But that will have to wait. Ive already deviated from my history project a bit more than Id like to have done. And I still have to get back to Mildenhall for the next event.
Razgr1z912
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:07 pm 

Great job, it just gets better and better.
Welshflyer
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 am 

Great recap Spider, it's not easy to fly formation with AI as they tend to have higher speeds than the aircraft you use (especially the take off and climb rate)but you handled it superbly Very Happy . I've found that if you wait for the proper clearance to take off, the AI aircraft will be long gone and you'll never catch it so you did the right thing!
Very nicely done Spider Very Happy ,shame about the tyre on the Mig Shocked .
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:10 pm 

I am still laughing about the MiG.... hahahaa.

The DC3 was an awesome run though! Nice big fat tires too!
US AIR TALES- Stories of one man's virtual life as a pilot
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 pm 

Razgr1z912 wrote:
Great job, it just gets better and better.

Thanks for following the fun Raz (can I call you that?)

Welshflyer wrote:
Great recap Spider, it's not easy to fly formation with AI as they tend to have higher speeds than the aircraft you use (especially the take off and climb rate)but you handled it superbly Very Happy . I've found that if you wait for the proper clearance to take off, the AI aircraft will be long gone and you'll never catch it so you did the right thing!
Very nicely done Spider Very Happy ,shame about the tyre on the Mig Shocked .

Now I feel vindicated. Whistle Thanks Welsh. Its too bad that it works that way though. Maybe if I programmed my own AI. I think I've seen talk about doing that on here.

belgeode wrote:
I am still laughing about the MiG.... hahahaa.

The DC3 was an awesome run though! Nice big fat tires too!

You are never gonna let me live that down huh Bel? Laughing But you can because if you wait long enough I'll do another just as bad or worse.... Confused

In fact check out my IFR/ATC approach savy on this flight when I expect instructions and don't get them..... doh! Rolling Eyes

May 30th - Flight #1688 - Juneau, Alaska to Thule Greenland - 1st of 2 legs to Mildenhall AB, England - ETA 4.5 hours - fuel 90%

slr plane #121 Embraer ERJ-190 Airliner by Hernan Anibarro - flightsim

Even though I still had months to kill, I headed back to England the very next day, using the next fast aircraft on my list. (When I need something with long range capabilities, I dont always take the next aircraft in the list, but will skip to the first one that will fit the bill.)

I figured the ERJ-190 would get me there in two legs, with a stop in Thule for fuel. The total distance would be only slightly more.

I wanted to take advantage of as much daylight as possible so decided to take off before dawn so wed be in the air to watch the sunrise. We pushed back at 0330.

Even at the early hour, I was pleased to see one of the DC-3s taxiing out behind us.

We were cleared and off in no time.

I may have underestimated the anticipated dawn. It stayed dark a while longer than I expected and we missed a lot of the Alaskan Scenery.

SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm 

But about the time we reached southeastern Yukon Territories, the sun came up and we were presented with a beautiful scene of white puffy clouds.

Four hours after leaving Juneau, we started our descent into Thule, expecting to receive landing instructions from ATC

After descending from FL240 to FL140, and arriving nearly over the airport I had yet to hear from ATC.

Finally, ATC contacted me with what I thought would be the approach procedures.

I pulled up a chart for BGTL and from my instructions gathered that wed be landing on RW 33.

I had already turned back to the west on my own and now he had me heading back to the east.

Then something dawned on me. I had filed the plan all the way from Juneua to Mildenhall. ATC was just getting me back on course. I hurried and changed the plane for Thule and was promptly cleared.

As I turned back toward Thule I was over 60 miles out.

I realized I might also be having a fuel problem.

SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 pm 

IFR instructions were for a landing into the east but I didnt have enough fuel to go out past the far end of the airport and decided I had to land into the west on RW 33. I cancelled IFR and went VFR.

I watched the fuel indicator dropping faster than I cared for as we anxiously looked for the airport and watched the miles on the GPS dropping off slowly one by one.

Finally at about 4 miles out, we spotted the runway through the light fog. And we realized why they would have liked us to land from the west. There is a slight hill on this end.

The hill made it impossible to line up with the runway very far out. This was going to be a fun one.

But I nailed it anyway.

Four and a half hours out of Juneau we were waiting to be refueled for leg two.

Welshflyer
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 am 

OOOOOhhh that was tense Very Happy , iffy weather, low fuel and a VFR approach, that could've been nasty Shocked , but handled very nicely, a great recap Spider i really enjoyed this leg and am looking forward to the next one!
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:50 pm 

I love Embraer... my fave though is the E170... 190 is like a little too much plane for me.

If i had the lottery winnings I would buy one as my personal plane/apartment and just live in it hahahaha.
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:41 am 

Welshflyer wrote:
OOOOOhhh that was tense Very Happy , iffy weather, low fuel and a VFR approach, that could've been nasty Shocked , but handled very nicely, a great recap Spider i really enjoyed this leg and am looking forward to the next one!

Thanks Welsh.... its a good thing I figured out my mistake when I did huh? I was going to post my next leg tonight but I'm on my brother in law's laptop and even though I have my narrative in the zip drive... his computer doesn't have MS Works.... argggggg.

belgeode wrote:
I love Embraer... my fave though is the E170... 190 is like a little too much plane for me.

If i had the lottery winnings I would buy one as my personal plane/apartment and just live in it hahahaha.

Doesn't Steeler Air have a Embraer Bel? I don't know if I have a 170 or not.... would look on my spreadsheet if this laptop had works.... Confused

The 190 was pretty good to fly on this trip.
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 am 

Nope no Embraers in Steeler Air.

Come to think of it... no more Steeler Air at the moment.
Welshflyer
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:42 am 

belgeode wrote:

Then you'd be just like Bill Bixby in The Magician Very Happy !
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:08 pm 

How come no more Steeler Air Bel? I'm behind on my reading.... did I miss something? Hope you are just taking a break and will continue on.

Speaking of breaks.... I really got behind this week due to a nasty sinus infection that has had me asleep most of the week under the effects of pain pills. Hopefully, its ending - at least today I'm able to do a bit of writing so here is the second half of my return to England.

May 30th - Flight #1689 - Thule Greenland to Mildenhall AB, England - ETA 4.5 hours - fuel 90% - 2nd leg from Juneau

slr plane #121 Embraer ERJ-190 Airliner by Hernan Anibarro - flightsim

An hour later we were back in the air for the 2nd leg to Mildenhall.

The skies were perfectly clear as we flew across Greenland

We did start seeing some scattered clouds as we arrived on the east coast. They stayed with us as we crossed the Atlantic.

We made landfall just as it was getting dark over northern Scotland.

Even though Id landed here just a few days ago, I still pulled up the chart to get a clear picture of the airport in my mind as we approached Mildenhall.

I made a pretty good landing just as we got over the pavement.

Then taxied to parking. Guess Id be doing some more sightseeing in London and Southern England for a while yet. Maybe even take a train through the Chunnel to see Paris.

SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:21 pm 

October 20th (Re-creating 1934 flight) - Flight #1690 - Corby, Northhampton, England to Baghdad, Iraq - eta 13 hours est fuel 90%

Finally, Im back to re-creating history after my little side trip to Alaska for the DC-3s.

The next re-creation is a race from England to Australia. Heres the sims rundown on it.

It involves one of my less favored aircraft because I find it difficult to taxi and to keep straight and level in flight. Perhaps over this long run, Id become better at it.

Plane #59 - de Havilland DH-88 Comet - Red Grosvenor House - FS9 Default A/C

This is the first of six legs.

Ready to go right on schedule.

And to replicate 1934 conditions, I went radio silent.

Ill let the pictures, and the notes on them, tell the story unless I think of something to add.

(this flight continues to the next page)

Last edited by SpiderWings on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:22 pm 

(continuation of flight from previous page)

Last edited by SpiderWings on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:23 pm 

The real world weather had me in some thick clouds over Turkey and while daylight was starting to dwindle.

SpiderWings
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 pm 

As I got closer to Bagdad, I pulled out the chart for the airport so Id be able to make sure I was at the right one before breaking radio silence for landing clearence.

belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 pm 

SpiderWings wrote:
How come no more Steeler Air Bel? I'm behind on my reading.... did I miss something? Hope you are just taking a break and will continue on.

No not continuing on just now. US AIR TALES took its place... as I am sure you noticed a lot of the cast of characters is the same.

Ultimately what I would like to do is to create a new airline that does not have any real world ties, and transalate all the stories I have told to that. Then I can write a book haha.

BTW That flight was interesting... What was your final time?

Something about that aircraft looks cool!

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 am 

Testing ability to post -spwngs