SearchSearch 

I love my 737ng!

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

So this was by far the best investment in MSFS i've made. In the year+ i've had FS, an alaskan airlines flight in the PMDG 737-700ng from seattle to juneau has already topped the list for me over any tail-dragging, small plane, or commercial flight. However, I still have yet to complete a "textbook" landing (i.e. : warning free!) in this plane. I usually fly manual landings, since I mostly use ATC approaches instead of STARs. When should I start extending flaps? what's a good speed for the approach? Any tips?

1 Responses

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hey Grunge,

737NG is my fave add-on too and 50% of all my flight time is now in this plane.

When on initial Approach, you should be under 10,000 feet, and therefore your speed should be 250kts or less, as this is a worldwide ATC rule.... Now, on the 737NG you can immediately move to 5 degrees of flaps, (3rd setting) even as fast as 250... the real 737s do this.

You should be using AutoThrottle to manage your speed down, ready for Final Approach... so next wind the SPEED setting down to 190... watch for the speed decreasing, and when it gets to 195, select Flaps button TWICE, to go to 15 degrees of flaps....

Once you get your Vectors for FINAL APPROACH and set your ILS up on the NAV radio, etc, etc, select your SPEED down to 150kts and set flaps to 40 degrees (Max), via 30 degrees.....

If you use the AutoPilot's APPROACH setting to start the Glideslope, you need to keep your speed to 150kts at the start of the Glideslope - any faster that 160kts and the plane will NOT capture the GS...!

With speed at 150kts, Flaps at 40 degrees, and LOC and Glideslope catured, you can sit back and montitor the initial Glideslope descent.... then you can by all means disengage AutoPilot and use manual ILS instrument display to decend and land.

Good luck!