Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Autopilot

I was just wondering when doing an ILS app. when do you turn of the autopilot and start hand flying the aircraft yourself.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I was just wondering when doing an ILS app. when do you turn of the autopilot and start hand flying the aircraft yourself.

Normally before 200 feet AGL(above ground level).

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Unless of course you have autoland on the a/c. Personally I would prefer to manually touch down myself but there are some who often use autoland.

But I was seeing some flight videos of real-pilots and, using a boeing 737-700 and they were flying there ILS app. manually once they intercepted the glide slope.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

But I was seeing some flight videos of real-pilots and, using a boeing 737-700 and they were flying there ILS app. manually once they intercepted the glide slope.

You can hand fly the aircraft almost anytime, it's pilot's choice. The 200 Ft restriction, it varies, has to do with rules based on if the autopilot fails at low altitude. If an autopilot shows that it can fail in a manner that the aircraft requires 180 feet to recover, you don't want the AP flying the aircraft at 150 feet. 🙂

So when is the time to turn of the autopilot?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

So when is the time to turn of the autopilot?

You can turn it off whenever you want. If you want a specific altitude, turn it off at 500 feet AGL.

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Every aircraft I have flown has a 200 foot AGL restriction on a coupled approach. Whenever we flew a coupled approach in the USAF, we disengage the autopilot at the decision height for a precision approach and when runway in sight for a non-precision approach.

Air-Head Guest

Whenever I do a coupled approach (i.e. APP mode in A/P system) I typically disengage at around 200feet.....

I also have auto-throttles set for most of the descent too, I take that over at around 500 feet.... an manually control the throttles from there.

Although most time these days, I just do the Approach descent myself using the ILS glideslope myself. Very satisfying way to land, especially in anything 737 size an upwards.....