Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

flight sim x

mrplow Guest

I appologize for this question in advance. I know very little about computers and hardware etc., but I love microsofts flight sims.
Of course I find it jerky and unplayable. Will a better graphics card solve the whole problem?
Info: window's xp
intell pentium 4 1700MHz
direct x 9.0
radion 9550 agp Thanks in advance[/b]

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

mrplow wrote:

I appologize for this question in advance. I know very little about computers and hardware etc., but I love microsofts flight sims.
Of course I find it jerky and unplayable. Will a better graphics card solve the whole problem?
Info: window's xp
intell pentium 4 1700MHz
direct x 9.0
radion 9550 agp Thanks in advance[/b]

FSX in the most demanding program that I've ever seen. Many people with much faster computers than yours are having problems. The minimum requirements on the FSX box is trash, your computer will only be able to just run FSX at minimal settings. You would need a new computer to run FSX satisfactorily. FSX was designed for future computers running Vista and utilizing DX10 capable video card. No one can run FSX with full maximum settings unless they have a $6000+ computer running Vista and a DX10 video card.
A good setup for FSX:
Vista
Intel Pentium 3.0
3 GB RAM
Two 512 MB video cards(DX10 capable)

mrplow Guest

Ouch. I was afraid of that,well thanks for the bad news lol.
Let me ask one more question then, What should I upgrade to be able to play 2004 at high settings?(It plays nice now but aircraft graphics are dull and blury not sharp) Thanks again.

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

mrplow wrote:

Ouch. I was afraid of that,well thanks for the bad news lol.
Let me ask one more question then, What should I upgrade to be able to play 2004 at high settings?(It plays nice now but aircraft graphics are dull and blury not sharp) Thanks again.

Not sure you are in the US, but I would recommend to you a new PC. Even your current PC ain't gonna run FS2004 very well. I bought my son this PC a few months ago and it's a great PC/Price point. You can get a PCIEx16 video card down the road for it. The memory and CPU are impressive. The onboard 950 graphic will do good on FS2004 for now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883103031

*I am in no way affiliated with this company. Simply offering a suggestion and great buying experiences with this company.

Good Luck!

AstroSteve

mrplow Guest

I'm from Canada. Thanks for the link I guess its time to go new, so I assume for about $1000.00 cnd. I can get a machine to run 2004 succesfully.
Thanks for all your help guy's Smile

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

Sure, here are some photo's I took playing FS2004 w/ a scenery pack. I had tons of fun with this. This was my old computer running a 2.0Ghz processor/1GB Ram/ATiX800 was'nt great but it had smooth frames per second and breathtaking views. Take a look....

https://flyawaysimulation.com/images/10/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004/

mrplow Guest

Wow nice.
I would be very happy with graphics like that. I did'nt realize what I was missing. makes my screen shots look like a joke.
Oh ya, just a thought here, I have a friend who fixes,works on and builds computers. Would it be worth while to get him to upgrade mine with the hardware I need to run this sim or would I just be flogging a dead horse?

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

mrplow wrote:

Wow nice.
I would be very happy with graphics like that. I did'nt realize what I was missing. makes my screen shots look like a joke.
Oh ya, just a thought here, I have a friend who fixes,works on and builds computers. Would it be worth while to get him to upgrade mine with the hardware I need to run this sim or would I just be flogging a dead horse?

Your honestly probably messing with a dead Horse there.

You could get him to build you a PC and buy all the parts. I used to do this for others but stopped because when something goes wrong with the PC the first person they would call was me. (screw that) so I only build my personal PC. I would recommend a purchase, this way you have a good warranty at least for the 1st year and some sort of tech support.

Even a Dell would be a nice way to go. Not everyone is a big fan of them, but they have gotten allot better with their quality from previous years.

The bottom line is you are way overdue for a new computer. Sorry man, it sucks to spend $$$, I just had to do it recently and it was worth it.
Cheers!

When you get the new PC, shoot me a PM....I will make sure you get the above scenery pack. (Mail it to you) Devil

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

I built this Dell PC in Canada pricing (look for Canada Logo) in your price range.......($1000)

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=E520DP_R_E

You could sell the included 19 LCD and break even.

* I am in no way affiliated with Dell, simply offering a suggestion.

mrplow Guest

I can't thank you enough for all of your input.Smile
My friend assures me he can build me anything I need for at least half the price of a new one(pretty tempting)
If its not to much to ask,could you list the parts I would require?
If I can get screen shots that look like the one's you sent me(or even a little better) I would be ecstatic!!

I don't know if this is info your able to send "just like that",but it will give him an idea of what might be required. Very Happy

mrplow Guest

LOL. I see your a step ahead of me .
scratch that last reply, you just answered my question

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

mrplow wrote:

LOL. I see your a step ahead of me .
scratch that last reply, you just answered my question

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

No problem. If he is going to build it for you here is a short run down again.

Case/Processor/Memory/Hard Drive/Optical Drive/Video Card/Operating System/Power Supply

The screenshots I sent you was a PC with:
Processor: AMD64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
Memory: Corsair 1GB PC3200
Video Card: ATi X800XL AGP Card

This is a old school PC now, but for FS2004 I did the job really well. There were several things activated such as AA and Anistropic Filtering turned on to smooth the jaggies out. The scenery pack takes care of the rest.

Here are a few more screenshots I took:

I have not unfortunatly done great work like this in sometime. I miss it. Maybe in the future I can with FSX, right now it's very challenging. I am lucky to get 15 fps with 2 videocards in SLi on FSX.

mrplow Guest

Thanks a whole lot.
Very Happy
I'll let you know how it looks with the new system.(once I find out how to take screen shots)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mrplow wrote:

Thanks a whole lot.
Very Happy
I'll let you know how it looks with the new system.(once I find out how to take screen shots)

How to take and post screenshots.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11288/guide-to-upload-our-pics/

Radar

mrplow Guest

I can get a new computer with these spec's. (from MDG Canada,don't know if there good computers or not it's one of those $1.00 a day deals)
: 4 GB system memory
2 core intel processor 2x2.8=5.6GHz
1 GB DDR2 memory
500 GB hardrive
ATI radion express x3000

If this will produce shots like I'v seen here I will order it tomorrow.

Thanks again Steve and all you guy's, your real class acts Wink

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

The onboard Intel 3000 video card will not allow you to produce screenshots that I have taken. Everything else seems ok. They are too specific about the components. I would honestly keep looking elsewhere.

Save your pennies.....$$$$

mrplow Guest

I thought after all this I would show you the screen shots I'm getting. (I just learned how to to this so I hope it works.........[/img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w34/homerplowking/firstscreenshot.jpg I'm not sure if i did that right,sorry if I didn't.

this is a shot with the old system I have now.[/img]

mrplow Guest

NOPE.lol i'll have to keep reading. Its hard stuff to get used too.

Pro Member First Officer
astrosteve First Officer

I saw the image Mr. Plow. I just copied the http and got it to post. You need to turn on Anistropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing. If you are still using that onbaord 3000 graphics you most likely will not have an option for these. I would take AA and Anistropic in baby steps try 2X for both right now. You should find these 3-D Settings in your graphics control panel.

A few tips on taking better pictures in FS2004. Since you are not using any scenery packs I would recommend climbing to an altitude of 20,000+ feet. The higher you climb the better the terrain gets. Also press 'P' to pause your inflight travel and slew around for the best angle. Look at clouds,terrain,water, lines on the plane should be smooth not jaggy.

Your plane in this photo has jaggies, coast line is not smooth due to altitude and water effects are plain. keep working at it. Also no one wants to see a menu bar in a photo so turn it off or cut it out of the image. Just little things.

This is some examples to start with. Later on I can help you with shadow pivot and nose glare etc.

Pro Member First Officer
mustangpilot First Officer

If i were you i would get your mate to build you a custom PC. If he does it for a living then he will know what motherboard will work well with the components you plug onto it. If using FSX i would get a damn good video card with Direct x 10 capabilities and Vista which will bring out the best in the card and game. Also 3 Meg of ram and dual processors.

If you are going 2004 then Do the same but 1Meg of ram minimum, Win XP and a decent vid card like a 512MB Nvidia 7600GS or something similar.

You can then give the FS software to your builder and he can make sure it's all up and running for you.

But as always, Get the best you can afford.

Good Luck

Andy

Stuff:
Asus P5K SE Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz 1333fsb 4MB CPU
3GB DDR2 800 Ram
Nvidia EN8500GT 512MB Graphix card
Windows XP
FS2004 with Ultimate Terrain Europe and Flight Environment.