Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Vista is out. Who took the plunge?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Who brought Vista? I got the Ultimate version for free from parents! Anyone else?

Guest Guest

Vista will be worth the upgrade one day, but XP is still the operating system of choice at the moment.

Vista bad points
1) XP is faster for video editing at present
2) Games run faster under XP with higher Frames per second

Vista is pointless at the moment and could be compared to Horse

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Been using it for 2 months now. Got it as part of my Microsoft developer subscription and I love it

Much smoother and stable and my games run great on it

7dream8liner7 Guest

I haven't gotten it yet, but my new computer will come in about a week. It ships with XP SP2, but will come with a free upgrade to Vista Business, which we will upgrade to a few weeks after using the computer.

HyePilot Guest

Maybe/maybe not. Vista is great, but maybe a little later.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Well, Im going to be honest. As of now, it is junk. Slow, poor performance in gaming, a high price, and hardly any available software. I would advise people to wait a couple of months Cool

Pro Member First Officer

brownbox wrote:

Well, Im going to be honest. As of now, it is junk. Slow, poor performance in gaming, a high price, and hardly any available software. I would advise people to wait a couple of months Cool

I'll counter that Smile

My games run lightening fast

I've drivers for everything and all my software works right down to the most obscure development utility I use

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I got my copy early same as Goodison, and agree in part with his findings, except FS9 doesn't run very well. But having 2 computers, Vista in one, XP sp2 in the other. So have fs9 under XP sp2, and FSX under Vista, no problem!

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Do you guys have a Nvidia graphics card? If so, what drivers you using?

Pro Member First Officer

brownbox wrote:

Do you guys have a Nvidia graphics card? If so, what drivers you using?

7950 gx2

using the jan 5th release drivers at moment from nvidia

Hoping to get a 8800 gtx extreme when the prices drop

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

hmmm, so youre using the 100.54(I think) forcware ones? Strange, Im using exact same drivers, and its atleast 1/4 the performance of XP. Ill have a check at some settings in the morning.

Good night
BB

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

brownbox wrote:

I'll counter that Smile

I've drivers for everything and all my software works right down to the most obscure development utility I use

I'm expecting that more people will share Brownbox' experiences than yours, Goodison.

So I will wait and stay with a perfectly fine working computer that is tailored to my preferences, let the market develop, the product improve, and then get it when it turns into the OS of preference Smile

Pro Member First Officer

ARD-DC wrote:

GoodisonBlue wrote:

brownbox wrote:

I'll counter that Smile

I'm expecting that more people will share Brownbox' experiences than yours, Goodison.

So I will wait and stay with a perfectly fine working computer that is tailored to my preferences, let the market develop, the product improve, and then get it when it turns into the OS of preference Smile

you are perfectly right to if things are working well for you

I was just countering the person describing it as 'junk' which from my impressions it's clearly not Smile

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

well - if your experiences are like you describe them, then of course you'd be perfectly right in doing so.

Another point I didn't mention as to why I am not gonna switch to Vista anytime soon, is that I absolutely hate the hassle of reinstalling a PC Laughing

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

i just put vista on partition 1, XP on partition 2, and all my games, documnents, pictures in partition 3

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

I got a copy of Ultimate free in November/December (for submitting bugs). Sometimes it is slow but same that I have experienced with XP and even Ubuntu. The operating system as a whole is very good and it was a priviledge to test it.