SearchSearch 

Realistic Concorde Flight

Jamie4590 Guest

Flying Concorde is getting a bit 'routine' because when I set the INS pre flight and enter all the waypoints all I have to do is then activate it after take off and then for the entire flight the AP controls my navigation which takes some of the fun out of it. On a real Concorde flight under what circumstances would the pilot use VOR's.

When I'm at high flight levels and set the AP to bank the plane it always banks at a 20 degree angle which am I right in thinking could cause structural damage at FL600 or at least cause panic? I always thought at high altitudes banking should be no more than 5 degrees but the only way to achieve this using the AP is to bank 1 or 2 degrees at a time to keep it levelled at a 5 degree angle. Does the roll trim aid in setting the bank angle the AP uses?

3 Responses

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Where did you get concorde from?

Jamie4590 Guest

Its the Altitude/Koch Media Concorde.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

On a real Concorde flight under what circumstances would the pilot use VOR's.

If event of INS system failure and possibly routinely inside of Europe near airports and VOR stations. Old INS systems were cumbersome to program, being designed for long range navigation, so last second or frequent changes are faster and safer to execute with VOR navigation.

Jamie4590 wrote:

When I'm at high flight levels and set the AP to bank the plane it always banks at a 20 degree angle which am I right in thinking could cause structural damage at FL600 or at least cause panic??

No, 20 degrees of bank produces the same G force in a level turn regardless of altitude. The problem isn't bank angle but stall speed. Bank angle is often reduced at high altitude to 15 degrees but it depends on aircraft. 20 degrees is not outside the realm of possibility. No panic either, commercial aircraft routinely use 25-30 degrees of bank.

Jamie4590 wrote:

Does the roll trim aid in setting the bank angle the AP uses?

No, roll trim is just another name for aileron trim but the control surfaces of the Concorde(Dela wing design) are a little different.