Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Vista and activation question

Pro Member Trainee
flyrv Trainee

1. Am having a Duo-Core, GeForce 8800 system built by Shuttle. With the release of Vista, they recommend 64 bit Home Premium rather than XP Pro they recommended prior to Jan 30. Am reluctant to be in the first year of a new OS but don't want my biases to make me stupid. Does anyone know of any issues with Vista 64 and FS2004 and X? I also run RC simulators. Any issues here?
2. I have read and reread the FS X activation information. I read that I can remove it from one computer and install it on another. What I can't figure out is how MS knows that I have removed it from the original computer. I am sure that it is not trust Smile
Thanks for any help with these issues.

Joe

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

1-Not sure but i don't see why it shouldn't work.

2-How do they know...they are watching you now Twisted Evil

It reads the hardware in your machine, that's why you can reinstall it often on the same machine without calling.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
flyrv Trainee

Oops! Just after posting my msg, I found Paul Thurrott's Super Site for Windows review of Vista. He trashes the 64 bit version, is fairly ecstatic about the 32 bit version. Am still inclined to go with XP Pro until Vista gets out of its infancy.
Regarding the second question. Say I install on computer 1. Then install on computer 2. Then I run the program on computer 1 not connected to the web. Then I similtaneously run the program on computer 2 not connected to the web. How do they know?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

flyrv wrote:

Oops! Just after posting my msg, I found Paul Thurrott's Super Site for Windows review of Vista. He trashes the 64 bit version, is fairly ecstatic about the 32 bit version. Am still inclined to go with XP Pro until Vista gets out of its infancy.
Regarding the second question. Say I install on computer 1. Then install on computer 2. Then I run the program on computer 1 not connected to the web. Then I similtaneously run the program on computer 2 not connected to the web. How do they know?

I think the program itself can read the hardware.
Wait until someone who knows about XP or Vista, they have the same built in "safeguards".

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

flyrv wrote:

2. I have read and reread the FS X activation information. I read that I can remove it from one computer and install it on another. What I can't figure out is how MS knows that I have removed it from the original computer. I am sure that it is not trust Smile
Thanks for any help with these issues.

Joe

I started to write out a long explanation, but I'm lazy so screw it.

Here is a decent explanation.

Product activation is a license validation procedure required by some computer software programs. Specifically, product activation refers to a method where a software application hashes hardware serial numbers and an ID number specific to the product's license (a product key) to generate a unique Installation ID. This Installation ID is sent to the manufacturer to verify the authenticity of the product key and to ensure that the product key is not being used for multiple installations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation

You know, everytime Microsoft issues a new version of Windows...the tech geeks (Linux & Apple) and the privacy nuts, always get into a big cacophony of "dire warnings" about this that or the other. I generally get a chuckle about their paranoia. But I came across this article and actually found it somewhat disturbing.

For the past few months the legal and technical communities have dug into Vista's "fine print".

Those communities have raised red flags about Vista's legal terms and conditions as well as the technical limitations built in to the software at the insistence of the motion picture industry.

The net effect of these concerns may constitute the real Vista revolution as they point to an unprecedented loss of consumer control over their own PCs. In the name of shielding consumers from computer viruses and protecting copyright owners from potential infringement, Vista seemingly wrestles control of the "user experience" from the user.

Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft.

Even after installation, the legal agreement grants Microsoft the right to revalidate the software or to require users to reactivate it should they make changes to their computer components.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6319845.stm

x pilot Guest

i was warned bout the 64bit giving hassels, so i opted for the 32bit version and i have had not problems running fsx, fs9 and other older games like csi miami....

32 bit is ment to be driver friendly as apposed to 64bit giving people a lot of hassels!