Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Hot Cessena

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

This will be my last one for a little while I think. I have to admit that screenshots and creating effects is very addictive and adds that much more pleasure to actually flying - which is of course the main reason to be a flight simmer I think.

Anyway, the background is a photo taken during the Canberra (Australia) wildfires a couple of years ago. The Cessna was cropped from an FS2004 screenshot and added as a layer into the main photo. I created the smoke effect around the Cessna simply by adjusting the transparency of the layer (the Cessena) giving the impression (hopefully) that the Cessna is flying through the smoke - that was the aim anyway.

Hmm no matter what I do, I can't get this to show any smaller ??? It really is only 680 X 430

Pro Member Captain
violentviolet Captain

wombat457 wrote:

This will be my last one for a little while I think. I have to admit that screenshots and creating effects is very addictive and adds that much more pleasure to actually flying - which is of course the main reason to be a flight simmer I think.

Anyway, the background is a photo taken during the Canberra (Australia) wildfires a couple of years ago. The Cessna was cropped from an FS2004 screenshot and added as a layer into the main photo. I created the smoke effect around the Cessna simply by adjusting the transparency of the layer (the Cessna) giving the impression (hopefully) that the Cessna is flying through the smoke - that was the aim anyway.

Hmm no matter what I do, I can't get this to show any smaller ??? It really is only 680 X 430

This was done using IrfanView:

160x240.

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Hi Violentviolet,

I should clarify what I meant. No matter what size I changed the picture too, 800 X 600 or 200 X 150 (or any other size) it would always appear in my thread the size it is above. I know the size was changing as it was checked (and double checked) in Adobe Photoshop each time I did change it. Guess there must have been a gremlin in the system when I uploaded it Sad

Pro Member Captain
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) Captain

very good editing!

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Thanks thunderbirdman Screenshots in general are great but every now and then a real background is nice to employ if to only enhance the realism and drama of what it is you want to achieve Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

wombat457 wrote:

I know the size was changing as it was checked (and double checked) in Adobe Photoshop each time I did change it.

Here lies the clue I've been looking for.

I didn't want to be too critical of your repaint, I find the scheme very appealing but the Abacus program you're using just can't produce the lovely colours we're so accostumed to by now.

Since you own Adobe Photoshop I'm surprised you're not using PS for your repaints... some other time perhaps? Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Thanks for the honesty Tailhook - thats what I am looking for.

As for the colours though, I would probably use them even if I could use Photoshop. I know they are fairly bland but there was a reason I picked them. In the future any planes I do try to repaint wil be much more colorful Smile

Regards why I dont use Photoshop ... it isn't that I dont want too, more to the point that PS wont open the vast majority of the texture files from FS2004. The enclosed screenshot shows the message I am getting each time I try to open anything to repaint:

I know there is a file I needed to download (I cant recall the name of it) so PS would read the texture files. I did that and still am unable to get PS to open the textures.

If I could get PS to work then I would use it, I assure you Smile I think I need an "Idiots Guide to using PS for FS repaints" Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I know there is a file I needed to download (I cant recall the name of it) so PS would read the texture files. I did that and still am unable to get PS to open the textures.

If I could get PS to work then I would use it, I assure you I think I need an "Idiots Guide to using PS for FS repaints"

The file you're thinking of Wombat could be DXTBMP, you can get it here Arrow http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/ ...great site for painting resources.

The Posky Painting Tutorials use IMAGETOOL instead of DXTBMP -- both serve the same purpose but apparently DXTBMP is better... why, I can't remember.

FWIW the Posky Painters Learning Center is very popular. Also I saw in another topic that nemesiscom left a link for you. In case you're unfamiliar with nemesiscom, the Gentleman's name is Joerg Zeitschel (I hope I got the spelling right) and he's a master painter. I have several of his repaints and if I ever decide to start dabbling again I could do worse than heeding his advice.
Here are at least some of his textures hosted by avsim in case you wanna have a look-see Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Joerg+Zeitschel&CatID=fs2004

Be well Hack

Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Hi Tailhook,

Hey thanks for the information, and yes I did get that message from nemesiscom although havent had a look at it as yet - but I will for sure Smile

I have been messing around with this repaint thing and have redownloaded the DXTBMP program. No sure what I did wrong last time but now everything opens nicely and can be edited in PS Smile

Being able to utilise transparencies, layers etc etc etc will be great and SHOULD produce some nice re-paints (I hope). Anyway thanks again Tailhook, as always, your advice, along with the likes of radarman and CJRCapt (and others) are always welcomed and respected

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

I'm VERY impressed with that shot wombat! I've read bits and pieces about transparency but haven't yet found a way to do it. Right now I'm doing all of my graphics with just MS Paint and Irfanview and as I keep pretty busy its been enough. But I suspect there are some good tools out there that would make cropping out aircraft easier. So much to learn...