Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You deserve a pint 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

Make that two...

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Last time I tried to land this is what was on the runway... Ass ...soo I had to go around! 😂

Keep it on the runway....... Radar

Congrat's

AstroSteve

Pro Member Trainee
Mark Hyder (markhyder) Trainee

I got that when I put the worng ILS number on the radio.

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

astrosteve wrote:

Last time I tried to land this is what was on the runway... Ass ...soo I had to go around! 😂

Congrat's

AstroSteve

Heh, a few years ago I was on final in Prescott AZ (real...no simulation) and had an engine fire. No biggie, I had the runway made...just went through my checklist and shut down the engine. Then I get a call telling me to "go around" because there was a HUGE armadillo on the runway. I declared an emergency and stated flat out that the armadillo was going to die. I did end up missing it...but it was hairy for a little bit, and yes...it was one BIG armadillo. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Umm...engine fire no biggie? Either theres something in the story I'm not getting or you are full of it.

Any sane pilot would immediately tell atc they were on fire and in your supposed case to get firetrucks or whatever type of assistance on landing. Engine fire in flight, no biggie....right.

The_Finman wrote:

astrosteve wrote:

Congrat's

AstroSteve

Heh, a few years ago I was on final in Prescott AZ (real...no simulation) and had an engine fire. No biggie, I had the runway made...just went through my checklist and shut down the engine. Then I get a call telling me to "go around" because there was a HUGE armadillo on the runway. I declared an emergency and stated flat out that the armadillo was going to die. I did end up missing it...but it was hairy for a little bit, and yes...it was one BIG armadillo. 😀

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

faust1200 wrote:

Umm...engine fire no biggie? Either theres something in the story I'm not getting or you are full of it.

Any sane pilot would immediately tell atc they were on fire and in your supposed case to get firetrucks or whatever type of assistance on landing.

Ummmmm, no. The first thing you better do above ALL ELSE (no matter what the emergency is) fly the damn plane. The second thing you better do is execute your "Engine Fire In-Flight Checklist" (you know, the one that typically goes...throttle back, mixture idle cutoff, fuel pump off, fuel selector off, vents closed and lower the nose to help extinguish any remaining flames...those sort of things). 🙄

You have the runway already made, you've extinguished the fire, and again above all else you are flying the plane. Now then, it was at that point I was told by ATC to "go around"...and at that point I immediately declared an emergency.

I'm not sure about your flight background...but you are "putting the cart before the horse"...you fly the plane first, you handle the emergency second and after that you can swap stories with ATC for all I care...and if you can do the latter while executing the first two, then wonderful...but the first two come FIRST. With the first two done and the fire now out that ATC told me to "go around", which did end up causing a shift in priorities.

Now then, please explain to me why you would "immediately tell atc they were on fire and in your supposed case to get firetrucks or whatever type of assistance on landing" and why you would do that before flying the plane and executing your in flight - engine fire checklist.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Erm, I never said don't fly the plane. Yes I know about aviate, navigate and communicate. I only said immediately because you said you didn't declare until you heard about the armadillo. From what you said it sounds like you wouldn't have declared unless there was an armadillo? Perhaps you were on final and didn't need priority handling but um you were on fire. Now you say the fire was "out" which wasn't contained in the original anecdote. Your clarification helps me to understand. Nevertheless I would want assistance asap considering I'm surrounded by gallons of avgas and all. I wouldn't take it for granted the fire is out since I can't see under the cowling. I'm not calling you a liar, I just think that story sounded strange originally but I thank you for clarifying. If you must know I'm a former regional airline pilot and former CFII-MEI.

I think of the movie Airplane could you imagine
"Ladies and gentleman we are on fire" Passengers😕??
"And also there's an armadillo on the runway" Passengers: AHhHHHHHH@@!!!!

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

faust1200 wrote:

Now you say the fire was "out" which wasn't contained in the original anecdote.

Okay, that's a fair statement...this happened almost 10 years ago. I did say that "it was hairy for a little bit"...but time has a way of blunting the edges off of things. 🙂

Anyway, when I look back...I do actually find it amusing. I'm sure that if something bad had happened I would look at it very differently. Wink

But yes, if I hadn't been able to extinguish the fire using the basic checklist...then it would have been an entirely "different ballgame".

Put yourself in my postion...you're flying one of the new Grumman Tigers (at the time they were). You have the runway made easy...you begin to see smoke and then what appearers to be small flames though the cowling. You've already pulled the throttle back...at that point you execute your in flight- engine fire checklist. You quickly extinguish the fire...everything looks okay...then you are told to go around because of an armadillo on the runway. The first words out of my mouth were "do what?!?". Once I confirmed the instructions, I went from okay to stressing...at which point I declared an emergency. But yes, I did miss the armadillo and once stopped, I wasn't going to EVEN try to restart the engine to try & taxi.

Anyway, I did leave some parts out..."no biggie" I hope. Wink

Anyway, In defense of ATC...that armadillo was freakin HUGE. 😳

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

No worries. Funny story nonetheless.

Cheers-