Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

VOR Confusion

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Hi everyone,

Okey dokey then, I'm rather confused as to why a pilot would use VOR unless their heading indicator was broken. Seriously whats the deal here? Ok I'm gonna use VOR and go onto a 090 degree course from the station.. Ok great, but I can go on a 090 degree course with my heading indicator! >.< There has to be something I'm missing here because unless other nav equipment was broken then that's the only time I can see using VOR with need.

So can someone please tell me what I'm missing and explain it since the learning centre on FSX didn't really explain it that well.

Thanks in advance,

~Sno0ze

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The VOR system requires the use of the heading indicator(or at least the magnetic compass) to perform navigation. The VOR system can't tell you which way to turn only which radial you are on or course to intercept. If you fly a heading of 090, wind that you can't detect can blow you off course. When you fly on the 090 degree radial using a VOR, and maintain the required wind correction angle, you know that you are precisely on that course at all times. 🙂
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

So basically it's just a more accurate way?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Sno0ze wrote:

So basically it's just a more accurate way?

Yes