SearchSearch 

Not so real!

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I've just completed a flight from Spain to the UK under ,"real world weather with updates every 15 minutes",allegedly. Considering South Wales is under a blanket of snow at the moment that's what i expected to see, only to be greeted by green fields and no snow in sight. So i take it real world weather is not very real! 😳

13 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Real weather is predicated on hourly METAR weather reports. If falling snow is not reported when the weather updates then no snow will appear anywhere around the weather report location. Ground snow is based on the location and season and is controlled by preset programing, the program has no way of knowing about snow accumulations on the ground. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Thanks CRJCapt, but the snow has been down for 24 hours now here, and when i took off earlier from detroit on a VA flight there was snow everywhere. Still a bit confused by this!
Sorry, i think it just clicked! So normally at this time of year Detroit has snow and here does'nt, so Fs9 is programmed for this! Idea

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

must say I find that odd, for me, the real world weather is usually fairly accurate in Holland.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

thats default weather for you! Try something like Active Sky. Its never failed me 😎

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

brownbox, thanks for the reply, but it was'nt default weather i was flying under "real world" weather conditions while online!
Thanks also ARD-DC.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The ground cover of snow is set by default parameters by MS, I think it's just a guess by them as to when snow will be on the ground during the year. Snow on the ground varies from year to year and varies by location. I don't think they put too much effort into researching the actual dates that weather history has shown ground snow to be present at all locations around the globe.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Depending on how close the weather station is to the destination and the route will depend on how the real weather updates while in flight. I can understand your criticism about the snow being on the ground for 24 hours and no white stuff on the ground. Do you know where any of the METARS are around Whales? They may help you to fly during real weather. I'll tell you what. Try a short flight about 136 miles from KORF (Norfolk International) in Virginia. To KIAD (Dulles International) ILS for runway 01R 110.10 19L110.10 01L 111.30 19R 111.30. We are going to be getting some weather in Virginia tonight and I think that Northern Virginia near DC is getting it right now. The reason I suggest this route is because Norfolk and Dulles are both METARS. CRJCapt as usual thank you for your contributions to the facts.

I hope this helps.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Thank you for all your replies, sorry for the delayed reply been doing the nightshift! Sleep

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

I flew a short hop from JFK to Syracuse using real worl weather. On approcah it was raining in FS9 and I called my in-laws who live in Syracuse to see what the weather was, and to see if the real world weather was accurate. Sure enough, there was rain at the time in Syracuse.

Pro Member First Officer

Do you know if there is a METAR near by? I suspect that there is.

Thank you

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

edr1073 wrote:

Do you know if there is a METAR near by? I suspect that there is.

Thank you

Any ideas how i could find out if there is one near Wales?( The country not the mammal 😳 😀 ). No offence!

Pro Member First Officer

The way I found out here in the states was
through this link I hope it posts.
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/java_metars/
I don't know if it will work in Whales, I hope that it does. Good luck.