Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

What's your story?

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Don't know if it had been posted before, but wondering where everyone is from and what you do for a living/school?

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hey Aviator, I'm not shy to start this off....

I'm from North-East England, where you'll find the friendliest, most warm-hearted people in the UK (some of the other UK people may not agree 😂 ).

I've been simming on FS2004 for about 4 months but have put a LOT of hours in and have learned pretty quickly as I had a background general interest in Aviation.

By day I'm a Business Consultant, buy I also do "Audio Mastering" (Digital Editing) for local bands who are cutting their first CD.

In the FS world, my first love is Commercial Aviation - I mainly love Medium-haul jets such as the 737NG / Airbus A330, etc but I also love Commuter Props, such as the Dash 8, ATR42, etc, etc.....

I fly from Newcastle - London (Gatwick) once a week, with my job, so get to do plenty of geeky plane spotting - although I do get tired of always flying the same old BA 737-500....

I have a gal, who is tremedously patient of my Sim time !

Well dats me - come one folks, lets hear more - you don't have to give your phone number or address you know !

Pro Member First Officer

Cool!

Guess I should have started it all.

I'm a USAF navigator headed to combat search and rescue. I got bit by the aviation bug a few years ago and dove head first into a career change. I'm 27, an older newly comissioned officer, but still love what I do.

I'm headed for further training next month and then will be going to fly in HC-130's.

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Born: New York City, Sept. 22 1983. (21yrs old if you don't wanna do the math)

I'm currently attending law school in Mexico City. I was about to enter flight school when I decided law was my thing.....now I'm not really sure but I guess the sim will do for now. I'l learn to fly someday.

I've been simming for 9 months now on FS9, and my previous sim was FS 95 so I discovered a whole new world...

PH Guest

32 years old, well past it, living not so far from the GPS KID. Using FS2002 to keep my instrument flying up to scratch as I am unemployed in the flying game. Commercial pilot with instrument rating (JAA) and ATPL exams. Own a Cessna 150 and fly it out of 560m grass strip about 4 minutes from home....very basic but keeps me current.
Out of aviation I have a company imports/export and sourcing products and manufacturers for companies wanting to trade in China. (Dad is based out there making it easy!)

Coolsan- How is Mexico? I lived there for 8 odd years as a kid.
paul.hand1@virgin.net

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm 16, currently in High School. One year left then It's off to the Delta Connection Academy to be a first officer!

I work at a McDonalds right now.

Sim wise, I fly jets, and pretty much ONLY jets. I'm one of those "By the book" simmers, so if you're one to just take a jet and "dink around with it" Don't talk to me about it, cau'se you won't like the results. If you like flying procedure wise, and when you fly the jets, you fly them like they are made to be flown, I'll be your best friend...I've got almost 1 year at the controls of the FS2004 757-200 (not default, not sure where i got it) so i'd say i know what I'm talkin about

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Well, I hit the big 50 this year.....never thought I would survive past 30. I guess there is something to be said for Drugs, Sex, Rock and Roll, and of course very dark Beer 🍻
I have three grown daughters and seven grandsons....... yes I said grand sons.
I manage the Model Shop for Eastman Kodak, where the designs for all of Kodak's products are modeled for appearance and usability. In addition to modeling and engineering models(working models), we do Virtual Prototyping, Stereolithography, Selective LASER Sintering, thermojet concepting, Painting and Graphics application. I have 30 people who work for me and about $5mil. in equipment.
Oh yeah, I am located in Sunny downtown Hilton NY, USA

Pro Member First Officer

mmmmm...Guiness!

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

I’m 36. I have a BS degree in electronic engineering from San Jose State University. I am a statistical analyst and productivity manager in the customer service section of AGInteractive (better know by our brand name sites: Americangreetings.com, BlueMountain.com, eGreetings.com, BeatGreets.com, etc) I currently live in Brunswick, OH but still call Salinas, CA my real home.

My first job was a “Ramp Rat”/ fuel truck man for AirTrails Inc at good old KSNS. I’ve been hooked ever since. I think aviation is actually in my blood, as I once swallowed a mouth full of 100 octane Low Lead while siphoning the tank of a Cessna310.

Pro Member Captain

I can't begin to imagine the indigestion you must have got from that Kurt!

Pro Member Chief Captain

We must not be the brightest bunch of stars in the sky...heck, one of us drinks gas, so hey!

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

At least it was low-lead!
I'm 32 from London, and I work in a genetics lab for Cancer Research.
I don't know why I like FS2004 so much as I have a morbid fear of flying. Have ever since I first saw the size of a 747's engine! Still, they take you to nicer places, so what can you do?Dont Know
The-GPS-Kid - I agree, Northerners are much more friendly than Londoners. I spent 3 years in Boro.
They were OK as long as you stayed out of certain drinking establishments.

Guest Ed Guest

I'm a senior optical engineer for a NASA facility in California. I specialize in the alignment of optical systems. I just turned 54 TODAY.

I think I enjoy flight simming because a) it's fun to fly around and b) I like operating complex machinery. It's just a knack I have; I'm much better at dealing with machines than I am a dealing with people. Probably why I'm an engineer, ya' think? 😀

The-GPS-Kid, I see you're from Newcastle-- I visited that fine city once, about 35 years ago. I was stationed at Holy Loch, Scotland, during my navy career, and my friend and I did a number of driving trips around Scotland and the north of England. We stayed in a B&B in Newcastle, and the people were indeed warm-hearted and friendly.

Ed

Pro Member Captain

Glad you were looked after Ed... ! Newcastle being only 70 miles from the Scottish border I often go up there, it's a wonderful natural place is Scotland and it's a great place to escape to..... I also sometimes fly from Glasgow Intl Airport in Scotland when going on my hols (it's often cheaper than flying from Newcastle).

Steeev - It's best to stay out of ALL drinking establishments in Middlesboro! 😂 😀 No, it's not that bad but it is a bit of a strange place is the Boro....

Well what a mixed group we have here on Flyaway.... ages ranges from 16 up to our friend who has recently turned 79.... Not many subjects could bring people as diverse as that into discussion and debate.... WE ARE LUCKY WE HAVE SOME WIGNS IN OUR BLOOD!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

D 😳 rinking establishments 😳 .
Stay away from them ,you will only end up Ill

I go to a couple every week to try and change peoples bad habits..........well,its thirsty work 🍻

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Im 23, work as a sales executive and have been flight simming for about 8 months. I have a respectful fear of flying that developed after trying to fly the things myself and realising just how tricky it is!
I love Airbus Planes and Boeings. I live in South East England.

Micah

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

😎 Aloha All, Well lets see, where to start. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, 50 miles south of Kailua-Kona, if you fly the road south from Kona and follow it you should be at about 3000ft and just turning southeast, looking at the South end of the Island and I live in the comunity just below you. I am a MasterDiver and make Custom and Fantasy Weapons to support my Computer Hobbies. My better half is into real estate and an Advanced Diver. At the moment I am 55, heh-heh! We are in the process of building our Final Home. (that just doesn't sound right) What I mean is that when we first got here we built the home were in in stages, fine for the time, but being young in those days we didn't think ahead. Hence a house that looks like it was rampant cabin. Now the kids are gone (around the corner) we are going to do it right. Well enough of my rambling. May All of your Dreams come true! Ric

Pro Member Chief Captain

As a update, i do not work at McDonalds anymore! YAY
I hated that place!

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Yup, just found this thread. I guess I will let you gents in on me and what I do. I attended the Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa, Oklahoma with help from the US Govt. and graduated with an A&P lic. I went to work a few years ago at the Tulsa maintenance base for American Airlines as a non-destructive testing mechanic Heavy C.

I am now on station with American Airlines in Austin, Texas (Austin Bergstrom Int'l. AP) as a line mechanic. I do everything from bolting down loose objects to pulling engines. I also do lots of FAA related paperwork.

I have always been interested in aviation. Started out as a baggage handler with Delta before school and transfered to ASA in Tulsa while attending. Before that I was in the US military for 4 years serving at 29 Palms California, Barbers Point Hawaii and Okinawa Japan as a SSgt. in the United States Marine Corps.

Most folks would rather leave the job at the job site but we aviation types are a different breed.

Keep 'em flying.

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

Hello everyone,

I’ve owned every MS FS that was issued since 1992…….I’ve always been fascinated by flying…….I always wanted to be a pilot all my life…..when I was 18 years old I wanted to join the U.S Air force, to my dismay , I know this will sound strange to most of you but my parents succeeded in and changed my mind and now I can never forgive myself for the fact I listened to them, so anyways I ended up going to university of Oklahoma, where I received my aerospace engineering degree, and later on went to the University of Alabama for my MBA……after a few years working for different companies, now I am 41 years old, and I own a successful Distribution and wholesale company in Toledo, Ohio.

Maybe one day soon I will at least be able to get my PPL…..but you guys probably know how hard it is to find the time for some extra things that you like to do……

Sam

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

Born and Raised in Toledo, Ohio, started flying when I was 14, solo's Cessna 150 on 16th birthday!
Lived in Roswell, NM for a while and watched them do some of the testflights on L-1011's and Boeing 747's.
USAF 1971-1976
Moved to Phoenix, Az in 1975 and have been there ever since.

As far as flight sim experiance goes, I began on a Commadore flying Stealth fighter, and then once on PC Chuck Yeagers Air combat, Falcom Fs4-5-1998-2002 and now FS2004.
I have at least a hundred A/C to fly, and as much add on scenery as I can get.
I dig reality during flightsimming, so the more add-ons the better!
i just redid my entire FS2004 setup onto a 250Gig HD and anew P4-2.8 computer with 1500 ram and a 256 card!

One thing that kills me about FS2004, the local bridge's in Seattle area sit in the water-even after the new fix!
Also I am PROUD to say the in my world, the World Trade Centers still stand!

Pro Member First Officer

Capt. Dennison,

Haven't seen you in the gallery in a while rating the pix? Where you been at bro???
🙄 😂

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I've not seen (maybe missed 🙂) any Dutch contribution to this thread, so allow me... 😂

22 years old, Born and raised Dutch, I live (and have always lived) in a small village right outside Rotterdam called Oud Alblas.

Quit school at 18 because I absolutely hated highschool and was offered a job at Aggreko B.V. (Aggreko PLC in the UK, Aggreko LLC in USA) as a Logistics coordinator over various areas in Europe.

Having had the priviledge of working with and for many different countries within our company, (also many from the USA- hey, you just gotta love the "Southerners" !! 😀) Also I've had the pleasure of making many trips in the standard Boeing 737 to pretty much all over Europe, and (Hi GPS-Kid!!) have visited Glasgow on about 6 occasions.
I absolutely love visiting Scotland! (despite the weather even Wink)

I've been playing flightsims on and off for as long as I can remember, starting with floppy-disk-sized games as "retaliator" and "F-19 -something" to F-117A, FS98, Flight Unlimited II, Combat Sim III, and just recently FS2004.

Still live at home with my mother, and my two beloved younger, (and gorgeous Wink) baby-sisters.

Well, thats me for now,
Ard out..!

Pro Member Captain

I know we've been talking about language a lot lately, but it does amaze me (and somewhat shame me), at how good people's English is, for those where it's not their first language. ARD, I know English is spoken widely throughout the Netherlands but still have to say yours (and others) English is spotless !

I'm envious - and here's me speaking only English, a tiny bit of Spanish and of course fluent Uzbek.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Embarassed well thanks for that....Wink it takes a lot of time though to get to the point where you can say you master a language Wink - and bear in mind when judging, that English education starts in Holland around the age of 10 / 11, and nearly all good sitcoms and movies on TV are in English, so quite honestly everyone is just confronted with the language daily.
Furthermore, I've had conversations in English every single day for the last three years, be it at work, or when at home talking to friends of mine in the States, or during online-gaming...

What surprises me much more is that you're never done learning a language! After three years of a combined Dutch/English life, I still come across words that I do not know every single day! Surprised

Pro Member First Officer

ARD-DC,

When you are using phrases like 'bear in mind' etc, you have probably mastered the english language. Many here on Fly Away probably speak the 'Queen's english' and employ proper grammar and usage at all times as this site comes from the UK. We here in the United States speak strict english less a few terms such as fortnight and a few others. 🙂 ..I never did find out what a fortnight is. 🙂

Pro Member Captain

....A "Fortnight" is simply 14 days, or 2 weeks.....

So in the UK we often refer to "going on a fortnight's holiday", which in the States you would probably refer to as "taking 2 weeks vacation".

Easy as that my friend!

Here is the North-East of England we have out own language ! (Not official), all the guys from the UK will know that it's called "Geordie"... here, see if you can work out what I am saying here in Geordie :-

"Whey aye, am gunna gan doon ti the toon n get meeself a new plyein fa me fleyt sim.... divin ring iz coz aal hev me phooin switch off..... aal be yerm fa 4 o'clock"

Ok so translated into English, this reads:

"Yes, I'm going to go down to the city and buy a new Plane for my Flight Sim..... Don't call me as I'll have my phone switched off..... I'll be back home for 4pm".

Key "Geordie" words used:-

Whey aye = Yes
Gan = Go
Toon = City Centre (dervied from 'town')
Divint = Don't
iz = me (derived from 'us')
Yerm = Home (derived from Norwegian for 'Home'.. a lot of Geordie comes from Scandinavian influence).

Lesson done !

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Geeze! I thought them fellers down Tupelo way had they own way oh talkin’. Them UK boys take th’ cake. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

GPS,

Me thinks the singer from AC/DC is known as speakin' the Georgie lingo ifin' I'm not correct? 🙄 I actually believe his 1st band was called 'Geordie'??

P.S.- Is Geordie from N.W. England strictly or from the Scotish Highlands or..?

Pro Member Captain

George,

A "Geordie" is strictly from the city of Newcastle (North East England).. even people from the nearby town of Sunderland (10 miles down the road) are not Geordies. Scottish people are viewed in Newcastle as "Honourary Geordies" - it's a big compliment because we like the Scottish around here - we are closer to Scotland than to our seat of government way down in London.

Famous "Geordies" :-

- STING (his uncle used to deliver milk to my folk's old house!)
- MARK KNOPFLER (from Dire Straits)
- BRYAN FERRY (From Roxy Music)
- ROWAN ATKINSON (Well, from Durham, just down the road)
- THE GPS KID (famous virtual aviator who toured the world in a Baron).

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

tut tut tut Nope don't get overexcited just yet mayte, you're a bit ahead of yourself there.... you are still a longggg way from home..... Tongue Twist so that'd be a "to-be-famous Geordie" who is touring the world in his Baron... Ha Ha

Pro Member Captain

Yeah, ok then, you're right! Going to try and put the Pacific behind me this week ! Chile here we come !

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

OrlandoGeorge wrote:

Capt. Dennison,

Haven't seen you in the gallery in a while rating the pix? Where you been at bro???
🙄 😂

Hi Orlando, just been busy!
Some really cool pics in there lately!
Just a point, I would love it it more people rated pics. I mean, they look, they comment, but dont take the time to rate something.
Some very neat pics in there, in fact those are the pics, that made me give up my beloved FS2002 for FS2004!!!!!

Keep on posting them!

Capt. D

Pro Member First Officer

Capt.,

Yes, some look and don't post or don't rate or give some shot a 10 or 8 when it's a 4 at best..? 😂 I always enjoyed your comment and ratings as they represented an accurate description and assignment in terms of visual value. --We will see what else make it to the gallery. Post a few when you get time. PS-I am glad you liked the McDonnell-Douglas
DC10-30ER (FS2004) that I posted to the gallery last week. It can be found at:

-george

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

I am a security guy trying to make a living...... 😀
I was born in NE Africa a country called Eritrea. I am 100% sure, that no one knows where it is
😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Captain

I know where it is - it is next to Ethiopia, in the North West of Africa...

and the capital is Asmera, I beieve.....

I think your country was once occupied by Ethiopia but was liberated and Eritrea is a fully soverign state in it's own right (that doesn;t like to be confused with Ethiopia if I'm right ?!).

I might take a flight down to Asmera tonight !

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

Please remember the FAA regulation.
No 🍻 8 hours before flying.
CDR

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

You are right GPS-KID,
You did a good job. I am happy that you got interested and did some research. (Eritrea is in North East Africa).
When you fly to or from Asmara do not expect too much, you have only one runway one departure gate etc this is a small country and small city.
Let me know if have any more questions.
txs 😉 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

oh gees, i thought it was 2

*sneaks away*

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

My company is currently supplying Eritrea with tractors from China....so I know Eritrea well! It appears as GPS suggests that unrest is calming down lets hope for a peaceful 2005 and beyond.

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

I will be 80 years young this coming march.
At this age my life's story cold be very long
Was born in Hasbrouck Heights N.J.Took my firrt flight at the age of 13 in a try mooted ford.
Was hooked on aviation at an early age.
Served in the us military for 8 years active and 20 years in the active reserve.
I saw duty in 3 wars and was in aviation as a fight engineer.
My time was divided up between the naval air and the air force.
After WW2 i went ang got my privet pilots license,
I worked for the N Y telephone Co. on Long Island N Y the later sent to worm Ft Lauderdale FL.
I worked in cable repair.
After retiring 14 years ago I now volunteer for my local sheriffs dep. as a courier.
I spend at least 12 hours a day on my PC and 80 % of the time is in aviation.
I love helping new people in aviation things.
I rally like this post as getting to know you all makes me a worm part of this family.
I do this for enjoyment and if I ever post something that offends some one it is not my intension to do that .So please forgive me,
You all have a very nice Holiday.
George - CDR

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Is there something wrong with the Forum or am I seeing triple or is it the service mentality to submit everything in triplicate - will all these posts count towards CDR's promotion to Chief Captain?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
Yes, I can see three duplicates of the same post aswell 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 I think where he posted about not drinking,well you know,one little drink leads to another and another,untill you cant count anymore,and he thought he pressed submit only once 😂

Or he browser was slow and thought to speed things up he would press again 🙄

crosscheck9 Guest

Hello,
Well....I dont know where to start off....well, I dont have much to say 'cause I'm only thirteen years old...in the prime of my life, but i'm not enjoying as much as you should think. Well, I started flying around 3 years ago. I dont know why though. There is no body in my family that has the same kind of knack for it that I do, and it kinda gets on their nerves. In the past 3 years, I have earned 500 hours or so, and I dont plan to stop there. I am a frequent flyer, and I must say, it doesnt get old, does it. Well, just to fill you in on the personals.. I live in Dallas, TX, and I just finished taking my exams!!!!!!!!!! I recently got an invitation to attend the University of the District of Columbia for 2 months, to see what its like. Its kind of like an "elite group" which is selected to visit and study there, (not to be modest) but I think I'm just going to stay with my family this summer instead. Well, I look forward to hearing more from all of you, and...HAPPY FLYING!!!