SearchSearch 

Now that Vista is out..

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I had a question about any new PC you get with Vista. My question is, when you buy a new PC, will it have DX10? Has anybody purchased a new PC recently and found this true?

If you upgrade to Vista from XP, you will most likely have to upgrade the card to get DX10?

I am thinking about buying a new PC in the next few months, and was wondering about DX10

Jetman

18 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

Well Vista has DX10 but you will need a DX10 compatible card such as the Geforce 8 series. Also, FSX doesn't have DX10 functionality as of yet, but will soon via a patch.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Most Nvidia Cards (from 6600GS and up) are Direct X 10 compatible.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

Just went to the Nvidia site and was unable to verify that any of the 6000 series are DX 10 capable, I would be interested in any links or more information supporting your claim.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

You would think that ALL new PC's with Vista have DX10 cards already in them. So what your saying is that even though you buy a new PC, you still have to get a new card that will give DX10??

Jetman

Pro Member Trainee
captainsimon Trainee

Yes Mate you may have to do that to take the full benefits from DX10.

Most PC manufactures are pre loading the 32bit version of MS Vista on PCs that have 64 bit processors onboard.

I mean the the hell is all this about if the computer is capable of running 64bit OS why the hell put 32bit vista on it!!!!.

Its all about money.

Pro Member First Officer

captainsimon wrote:

Most PC manufactures are pre loading the 32bit version of MS Vista on PCs that have 64 bit processors onboard.

I mean the the hell is all this about if the computer is capable of running 64bit OS why the hell put 32bit vista on it!!!!.

Its all about money.

A reason why they might put 32bit on a 64bit machine is because most applications and drivers don't work too well on 64-bit machines. Mine is 64-bit capable but I chose to download 32bit Vista because of the lack of application compatibility and 64bit drivers.

Pro Member Trainee
captainsimon Trainee

Vista is going to be the OS for the next 4 years or so, most 64 bit applications are going to be supported within the next few months.

Its gonna cost more money to upgrade unless someone cracks the software as the the 32bit and 64 bit are on the same install and the version you get is in the 25 letter code.

If you have 32 bit Vista and get hold of a 64bit code inputting this will activate the 64bit version of Vista.

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

Vista still runs DX9 mode on older cards which is why all previous graphics cards are still supported. The only card on the market as of today that supports DirectX 10 is the Geforce 8 series (8800 GTS/GTX). If you want to run anything in DirectX 10 mode you require one of those two cards. I have 2 x GeForce 8800 GTX cards running on Vista Ultimate and can confirm they function now in full DX10 (minus SLI which is still not working in DX10 mode). FSX does not have any DX10 features yet though as we're still waiting for a patch.

Every other graphics card is limitted to DirectX 9 functionality within Vista and even with DX10 games, you won't get any DX10 features using anything other than a Geforce 8 as of right now. ATI is to release a new graphics card soon that is also DX10 compatible.

That means if you purchase a new PC that has Vista on it, if it does not have a Geforce 8 graphics card, you will not be able to get DX10 features in games functioning without a later upgrade.

Also be careful of machines sportnig Vista Home Basic. It is extremely stripped down and doesn't have any of the really fancy features of Vista such as Aero and you can't add them later. Make sure you pay the extra to get at least Home Premium.

Pro Member Trainee
Mark Hyder (markhyder) Trainee

I will have to get a new computer to get Vista as are Family computer has XP has 33.2 GB Hard drive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Thanks jhausner, very informative post that validates what I was thinking. 👍

Pro Member Trainee
skypilot2 Trainee

Most of the posts here are re-affirming for me that I will wait a couple more months to upgrade. Let MS and the gaming industry get there ducks in a row, so to speak. I am amazed at how much the 8000 series have come down on price since the new year. They will just keep dropping as new cards start competeing. Good for all of us. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

What I am looking forward to are the fine details and special effects that DX10 will bring. The planes should be very realistic, extremely detailed and the scenery should blow us away!

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

jhausner wrote:

Vista still runs DX9 mode on older cards which is why all previous graphics cards are still supported. The only card on the market as of today that supports DirectX 10 is the Geforce 8 series (8800 GTS/GTX). If you want to run anything in DirectX 10 mode you require one of those two cards. I have 2 x GeForce 8800 GTX cards running on Vista Ultimate and can confirm they function now in full DX10 (minus SLI which is still not working in DX10 mode). FSX does not have any DX10 features yet though as we're still waiting for a patch.

Every other graphics card is limitted to DirectX 9 functionality within Vista and even with DX10 games, you won't get any DX10 features using anything other than a Geforce 8 as of right now. ATI is to release a new graphics card soon that is also DX10 compatible.

That means if you purchase a new PC that has Vista on it, if it does not have a Geforce 8 graphics card, you will not be able to get DX10 features in games functioning without a later upgrade.

Also be careful of machines sportnig Vista Home Basic. It is extremely stripped down and doesn't have any of the really fancy features of Vista such as Aero and you can't add them later. Make sure you pay the extra to get at least Home Premium.

What sort of FPS are you getting now with the 8800's ?

Pro Member First Officer

Go to this link for a DX9 and DX10 comparison:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/

Be aware though that some of the images were not rendered, but just painted concept art. But it still shows what it might look like.

Pro Member Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

GundamWZero wrote:

Just went to the Nvidia site and was unable to verify that any of the 6000 series are DX 10 capable, I would be interested in any links or more information supporting your claim.

Here you go:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_97.46.html

There was a write up that had all the GPUs that can handle Vista.... but since I can no longer find it (cause I found it here) I'll hook you up where you can download the WINDOWS VISTA DRIVERS for the GeForce 6 AND 7 SERIES GPUs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.64.html

AND IT WORKS..... because I have it! 😎

Hope you have a 32 bit system.........you will have to wait for the 64 bit DVDs from Microsoft. 😀

Pro Member Captain

Here is my system information specs that is on my computer for Direct X 10......

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/14/2007, 21:58:50
Machine name: ISIS
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1481MB used, 2845MB available
Windows Dir: F:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

There is a whole lot more info, but just to prove to you that Direct X 10 is available for NVidia 6 and 7 series. I am currently running two 6800GS GPUs.

Just to prove to a few that I don't do B.S. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

GundamWZero wrote:

CRJCapt wrote:

GundamWZero wrote:

Here you go:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_97.46.html

There was a write up that had all the GPUs that can handle Vista.... but since I can no longer find it (cause I found it here) I'll hook you up where you can download the WINDOWS VISTA DRIVERS for the GeForce 6 AND 7 SERIES GPUs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.64.html

AND IT WORKS..... because I have it! 😎

Hope you have a 32 bit system.........you will have to wait for the 64 bit DVDs from Microsoft. 😀

Hate to disallusione you but that is just the driver for the older cards on Vista. It means they will work as they did with DX9 but they won't take advantage of any new graphical features of DX10, only the 8800's would do that currently.

Pro Member Captain

Well, maybe my computer setup works great, but according to Nvidia, I can do a little better: Embarassed

Ran the Nvidia test from their website. Although I am DX 10 capable, my CPU and Video cards failed when it was crunch time. I already knew my CPU barely made the grade (passed the minimum but failed the recommended), so I ordered a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Manchester processor a few days ago. That should be in by the end of this week from Tiger Direct. However, what I didn't know that even in SLI mode, I am still killing the video cards when I max out the performance!!!! The cards was great for minimum and recommended settings, but was a notch away from meeting the optimum standards. So with this new info, I will be ordering a GeForce Superclocked 320MB 8800GTS from tigerdirect.com for 299.00 on Saturday......if the wife doesn't spend it all....... 😳

Right now my system can push FSX with the sliders at max, but I am pushing what I have now at its limits.