Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Wilco a go?

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

I'm seeking opinions here on a first venture into payware:

I'm looking at stepping into my first add-on aircraft (FSX only), and being partial to big jets, I'm looking at:

Wilco's 777
Wilco's Airbus Series 2 (A330/A340) or CLS/Justflight Airbus 340

I'm drawn to the idea of the working weather radar on the Wilco 777. Does anyone know if their A330/340 package will haave that?

The CLS/Just Flight A340 offering has the advantage of being presently available.

I've been to CaptainSim, and their stuff seems a bit ambitious for a guy looking to make his first foray beyond the MSFS default stuff. And it's not so frame-rate friendly, and some might say they're not so customer-friendly.

So, I'm accepting thoughts from the field, please.

mdaskalos

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Somebody? Anybody?? Nobody???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok, my opinion on two that you've mentioned on your list. Keep in mind though, that I only have the fs9 versions.

The CLS A340 -500 and -600 claims to be for fs9. Upon closer scrutiny it turns out that the original model was developed for FS2002 and that some sort of upgrade has taken place. I assume that the aircraft.cfg has been edited and possibly a change has been made to the soundfile.
Looking at the model, it is of inferior quality, not what we have come to expect these days. Open the gearbay or the airbrakes and have a peek inside, no wires, cables or pipes. Even if you don't give a hoot about such visual delights, it emphasizes the fact that the original is several years old and not much effort has been put into upgrading it. Further, the .air file for both the -500 and the -600 are exactly the same. Pretty poor for payware when most of the freeware developers provide different .air files for different models.
And yes, my -500s and -600s don't fly too well, regardless of which of my piloting skills I employ. 😂 😂

The CaptainSim 752/3 is indeed for fs9 - but what a disappointment. There is absolutely nothing I like about this nasty piece of work.
Granted, it has a few extras... opening doors, air hostesses you can repaint and other useless gimmicks -- the manual reads like a children's picture book and I guess the demography CaptainSim are trying to target with this release are adolescents.

"High Resolution Textures Of 14 Liveries" -- outrageous!! Those textures are inferior to the MSFS default textures Devil

When I first read about CaptainSims new Block System I thought it was a good idea, thinking that buyers could purchase the basic aircraft without sophisticated avionics systems first, get used to the basics and could gradually step up to the more demanding procedures by buying/adding the appropriate blocks.

As it seems now, the whole thing turned out to be a complete mess and referring to your

I've been to CaptainSim, and their stuff seems a bit ambitious for a guy looking to make his first foray beyond the MSFS default stuff.

... The most ambitious stuff in this software is not the actual procedures, checklists and flying of the aircraft, but the navigating through the absolutely useless and superfluous gimmicks of the CaptainSim 757.

I agree that the CS 757 is not consumer friendly by any means, unless your 11 years old and get a kick out of the nice little pictures. Flying the aircraft is a different story all together. IMO inferior to all the jet aircraft released for fs9 in 2006. Even the soundset is a disaster. If you insist on a 757 -200 or -300 get the POSKY freeware. Nice panels, soundsets and textures are available for the Posky 757 and once retrofitted, you'll gladly ditch the CS 757 and stick to the POSKY.

A final point: You mentioned that

The CLS/Just Flight A340 offering has the advantage of being presently available.

This is true but again, why? Why does CS manage to be ahead of the other serious payware developers?
I trust you're able to draw your own conclusion by now.

Almost forgot:

I've been to CaptainSim, and their stuff seems a bit ambitious for a guy looking to make his first foray beyond the MSFS default stuff'.

Another marketing ploy: By displaying all kinds of little aircraft replicas with blue and red spots/doors to click on one gets the impression that the whole thing is well thought out and sophisticated. How gullible we are. The damn thing is not sophisticated or well developed at all, those little clicky things only serve the purpose of covering up the shortcomings of the software and off course, millions of kids worldwide fall for those tricks and lies.

More to the point: If you find 'their stuff a bit ambitious for a guy looking to make his first foray beyond the MSFS default stuff' there are other alternatives, less overwhelming.

You could start with the POSKY's. I know I'm keeping harping on about it but it's a good step in the beginning, simply because they have more realistic flight dynamics and these days they even have their own compatible panels. Those panels have more functions than the default panels and if you don't pay any attention to the prescribed procedures and checklists, you might find yourself in dire straights.
Once you're comfortable with the POSKY's it's time to move on to payware where (in most but not all cases) operations become more 'real to life'

I final word on the POSKYs: To save you a lot of frustration, forget about the aircraft you're dying to fly (it could have old FDEs and even though updated ones are available, it can be touch and go just to pick the right one -- especially so with the -330s) ... instead pick a more recent Posky release even if you don't like the aircraft, at least you'll have the most recent FDE which will save you a lot of headaches.

Then off course, we'll finally venture into the realm of decent payware and yes there' a learning curve involved. Decent payware? Find out everything you can find on the bulletin boards, avoid th hype, check out the screenshots and scrutinize the customer support.

If all of the above sounds negative and discouraging to you, it's certainly not meant to be.
I guess the gist of it is that you shouldn't believe the hype, spend plenty of time googling and take the time before you make a desicion. I'm sure that in a few months time some decent add-ons will have been published for FSX - I'd still do my research though bfore parting with my dineros.

I sincerely hope that one or two of my musings have made sense to you and can be put to some kind of use. 😀