Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Question from a complete newbie

hey guys, I am completely new to flight simulator and have learned a lot from these forums, but it seems like the simplest task in the game is the hardest for me. When I start a free flight on an active runway, I can accelerate and takeoff straight without having to steer the plane. But once I land and start taxiing and I turn, I can never get the plane to go straight again. It continues to go either a little left or a little right. I thought it may be wind, but the plane won't go straight on the same runway that it just went straight on before I started using the rudders. It seems to be the same problem with any plane, including jets. I guess my question is that is there a way to see the position of the rudders on the plane or is there a way to center them before takeoff. I know this question may not be worth your time since most of you are pros at this game, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

We all started sometime and we all were newbies.

The best way is of course to take the lessons but i don't have patience for them.
Go to the missions, one of them teaches you to taxi.
It's about a 10 minute lesson, try it come on back and tell us if it's easier with the aircraft you use regularly now that you "learned", if the "mission" is that good.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

For me, the taxiing task is one where the keyboard is actually your friend. Go to the numeric pad at the right of the keyboard - pressing "5" centers your controls - rudders, ailerons, elevators, nosewheel.

The plane rolls straight every time.

mdaskalos wrote:

For me, the taxiing task is one where the keyboard is actually your friend. Go to the numeric pad at the right of the keyboard - pressing "5" centers your controls - rudders, ailerons, elevators, nosewheel.

The plane rolls straight every time.

Worked like a charm. Thanks

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

A common steering problem while taxing is inadvertantly using the brake with the rudder. This can create over-control. "Heels on the floor" (a takeoff procedure) will eliminate accidental braking.