Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Shall I change?

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Hi

I can't decide if I should change to FSX or not?!?!

Having purchased FS9 last year, experienced problems with a new but capable computer, I have finally been flying for 6 months with no problems. I have enhanced terrain and environment and a large collection of payware and freebie aircraft. Some of these are miltary with downloaded programmes so that I have miltary AI aircraft and airfields with plenty of aircraft lined up on the apron, as well as catapult launching and arrestor-cable landing on aircraft carriers. I also have some excellent airport upgrades, such as CDG and Heathrow Pro. This has all taken some time to set up, but I am very happy that everything is working well and problems are few and far between.

I have however been looking at FSX and I like the look of certain things, such as better close up ground textures for buildings, trees and especially moving items, such as ships and traffic. It also looks like more airports have moving jetways and ground vehicles, which I have been very disappointed with in FS9 (a lot of international airports with just plain buildings).
There does however seem to be (from reading some of the FSX emails) some problems which make handling aircraft more difficult, plus I do not know if FSX has the military options I currently have with FS9 (including the FSUIPC module).

I would just like some opinions as to if I should stick with FS9 and wait for FSX to develop more, or does it already have everything I currently have with FS9 but better?

Rich

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you think you have the machine for it get it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Does FSX have military aircraft, airbases and AI though?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

RichT wrote:

Does FSX have military aircraft, airbases and AI though?

Some now, but give it a chance, it's only been out for 4 months.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you want a second opinion -- wait a few months at least.

For some of the kids who have never owned any version of MSFS, FSX is just soooo cool. Now that you've been using fs9 for 6 months - and keeping in mind all of your add-ons and enhancements, I think that once the novelty of Elephants and the like in FSX have worn off, you'll be disappointed in no time.

Have a look around for add-ons for FSX, both freeware and payware. I'm talking about aircraft in particular. Most of the larger file libraries have by now a section devoted to FSX add-ons. The truth is that most of the "FSX" aircraft available are simply "upgraded" versions from fs9. Some designs go even as far back as FS2002! The only thing that's been "upgraded" is the editing of the aircraft.cfg file. While an edit of this kind does effect the handling of the aircraft to a certain degree, it does not make it fully compatible with FSX.

I am sorry to say that this on-the-fly upgrade phenomenon is also used by many - dare I say most of the payware aircraft developers. Yes, I could name a few, but I recently sacked my legal team and feel a bit helpless should I be indicted for my claims.

But ask yourself these questions:

Why hasn't the LDS-767 which is arguably the best payware aircraft not been updated for FSX yet - lack of know-how by the team? I don't think so.

Why didn't PMDG release their MD-11 which appears to have been in the finishing stages months before the release of FSX not release the aircraft and then just "simply upgrade" it later to make it compatible with FSX?

I've only mentioned two, however I want to stress that there are other payware developers who are doing the right thing and either upgrade their software properly or start developing from scratch. Needless to say that this process takes time, a couple of weeks of tweaking the aircraft.cfg is just not enough, a proper upgrade takes months.

Having scrutinized the payware developers, do we really think that freeware developers or those who meddle with files that were authored by other enthusiasts and which they claim to be their own, are less unscrupulous in claiming that whatever files they're uploading to the libraries are fully compatible with FSX?

Some more points:

FSUIPC is available for FSX. Now here is a good example of a developer who does the right thing by the FS community.

Regarding Military Aircraft -- same as above, botched upgrades.

AI traffic -- off course FSX has its default AI. Add-on freeware AI, WOAI have made their packages compatible with FSX though I can't vouch for the functionality as I haven't tried it yet. In fs9 however, WOAI is IMO the best freeware AI traffic.

You're also mentioning Aircraft carriers, cat launches and arrcabs. Don't know what exactly you have but the brilliant Rob Barendregt gauges that work so well in fs9 I haven't yet tried to install them into FSX and it's a long time since I read Rob's installation instructions for those gauges.

The Abacus FlightdeckIV works (surprisingly) well in fs9, but I'm somewhat suspicious about the available "Ubgrade" for FSX.
Abacus has burned me once with their FlightdeckII "Upgrade" and I haven't forgiven them yet, hence my reluctance.

I would just like some opinions as to if I should stick with FS9 and wait for FSX to develop more, or does it already have everything I currently have with FS9 but better?

To sum it up Rich, stick with fs9 for a while longer (gives you time to improve your flying skills 😉 ). At this stage FSX definately does NOT have everything you have with fs9 -- not by a mile.

In my own situation, I figure that by the time FSX has at least the basic add-ons that I don't seem to be able to live without anymore, it'll be time to build a new rig, some of Vista's bugs will have been ironed out and the hardware I'll be needing for my new rig will have dropped in price by about 50%. Amen.

Read it ^^^^ on your day off 😀

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Thanks for advice guys.

I think at this stage your right to wait a while. What's the point of changing a package I have running perfectly well, just for the sake of a few enhancements. I can always load FSX to see what its like and continue to use FS9 whilst developers catch up.

Rich