Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Long Haul Flights

how do you make the fuel last on a plane from san francisco to auckland or london to sydney, the fuel always seems to run out. i tried the san fran - auck in a 7e7 800 and the fuel ran out half way through.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I don't think the 7e7 has the range for that, as for London to Sydney i think they normally stop in the far east to refuel (747). I think the only aircraft with the capability to do this non stop is the new 777.
I'm sure somebody with a greater knowledge about this will be along shortly! Smile

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

welshflyer is right. the new 787 doesn't have the range for that...yet. I believe that they are gonna make a longer range version, but the 777 200LR is the only airrcraft that I know can do it.

then whats the best way to achieve it? at what speed should i be and at what altitude?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

then whats the best way to achieve it? at what speed should i be and at what altitude?

Well, first things first, get yourself an -LR. The following two files appear to be complete aircraft:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=b777plm.zip&Author=&CatID=root

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=paa777lr.zip&Author=&CatID=root

If those .zip files don't contain procedures, you might find them elsewhere using GOOGLE. In case you didn't know, the higher you fly (within limits off course) the less fuel you burn. For my first attempt I would also reduce the payload to a minimum and turn that nasty headwind of. Cool

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Here is another way to burn less fuel. Go to the aircraft.cfg which is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\aircraft you're using\aircraft.cfg.

There in the General Engine Data part of the cfg you'll find a text saying fuel_flow_scalar-it controlls how much fuel is burned.

The lower the fuel scalar, the less fuel is being burned and you can fly a lot farther.

Example:

fuel_flow_scalar= 1

fuel_flow_scalar= .7

I hope this helps.

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

dont do the cfg. because you could mess things up and it just takes the realism from flight simulator out

although if you want you can always do this but be warned becuase you need a certain skil to do this and iv only done this in a beechcraft baron 58 so just folow the steps below:

takeoff and reach your cruising altitude and cruise speed

cut one engine off and fly on the other engine then your fuel will burn shorter because your only using half the fuel burnage

then land in the middle of the flight and park then restart both of your engines then takeoff and takeoff then use your other engine and continue

Pro Member First Officer
xXx-DeathKid-xXx First Officer

acepilot32 wrote:

dont do the cfg. because you could mess things up and it just takes the realism from flight simulator out

If you know what you're doing, you can make the plane more realistic, well, thats in my experience anyway Wink