Another Newbie Question

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

Apologies for my ignorance but im highly impatient and getting fed up of trawling through the forums!

Two questions about downloading aircraft;

First, if I download say a BA 744, will ATC recognise it? I assume all the ATC commands are already installed on my computer and that ATC will not say 'Speedbird' or 'British'.

Also, i have payed my subscription fee for this website, are the planes available for download here good quality as opposed to other similar websites. (if not which sites do people reccomend and do they charge for downloads?)

Thanks guys, your help would be appreciated.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

An add-on package is required for ATC to pick up extra airlines / types of planes.

I have Traffic 2004, and ATC now refer to lot's of airlines and other plane types.

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

You mean an add on package that you have to purchase?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Most d/loads will have the callsign for the aircraft(well the good ones will)
You can change it if you need to,in the aircraft config

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Yeah, sorry, TTT is right, what I was saying is the same : add-on packages (aircrafts, etc) will give you the proper call signs.

Traffic 2004 comes with lot's of AI aircraft / airlines and comes with the correct call signs.

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

Ok, thanks guys.

Traffic 2004, can I actually fly the aircraft or are they just AI add ons?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have Ultimate Traffic and I'm sure they are similar in the respect that you can't fly them.

If an aircraft hasn't been supplied a # by the designer for ATC to recognize it'll call it an "experimental aircraft" when you tune into them.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

Radarman, have been considering buying Utraffic, would you recommend it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a definite yes.
It turned the Sim into a new experience. It was alive with aircraft moving to get in line for takeoff, sometimes the line was 16 long. The aircraft that came in on schedule were just amazing to watch.
I would "park" on the dirt median and watch them land and take off. During peak hours it's better than going to the airport itself.

http://www.flight1.com/esd-products.asp?product=utraffic

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

In T2004 you can fly the AI aircraft,if you add a panel,but the question is why?
The AI aircraft are low detail to save FPS(same for all other traffic add ons)and far better ones are available for d/load

I dont know if any of the others can (I suspect they can)but T2004 lets you add a flight plan and any aircraft from your folder,so if you fly for a VA and want more of the VA aircraft say at the hub its very easy to do

Hope it helps

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i have traffic 2004, which i personally think is great. Yes, the planes are low in detail but if your system isn't great specs then they really help you to have a smooth flight, so dont dismiss them alltogether. 😳

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Yeah,

Some AI planes can be flown but most of them are frankly hopeless!! I tried piloting a really cool China Airlines 747 but it just pitched up and down and never was manageable. Then stalled and disappeared. I have also sent commands via the AI 'traffic toolbox' to some permanently parked (scenery) AI aircraft which is something else entirely. They just push back ad infinitum then roll and takeoff in any direction they want to cutting across the grass and thru buildings etc! 😳 These A/C were NEVER meant to fly. Like TTT said, in the final analysis why add a panel. -???-

I use MT My Traffic 2004 and I like it a lot. I also hear UT is very good. I am however not a great big fan of waiting as 20th in line for takeoff. Also the radio can become jammed w/traffic. MT is pre-disposed to this condition also. Especially at larger airports like Atlanta Hartsfield during peak arrival/departure times. I have waited READY TO GO and have watched A/C on final go around for 3 or 4 minutes as I was awaiting the proper permission to takeoff. At least they didn't try to land on my runway while I was there.

I got a question regarding the AI configuration issue. I have messed with the AI config. in MT a bit and have repainted some of it's AI liveries to better suit my home base of operations (local aircraft) and think that I had better uninstall the AI flight plans etc. and then re-install it. What is the path to get to the proper location in FS9 and uninstall/re-install addon traffic without having to uninstall FS9? Just thought I would inquire as this has become necessary for me now.

Thanks, george.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You can manually edit what the callsign the aircraft uses by going into your fs9 file, then open the aircraft file, then pick which aircraft you want to edit.

Go into the folder of the aircraft, then you will see a file called aircraft.cfg. open that with notepad.

You'll see something like this

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 757-200 (Delta NNC)
sim=B757-200-PW-PW2037
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=NNC
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=N670DN
atc_id_color=0x0000a1ff
atc_id_enable=1
atc_airline=Delta ----EDIT THIS LINE TO WHATEVER YOU WANT ATC TO SAY IT IS
atc_flight_number=152
atc_heavy=1
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP,CARGO
atc_parking_codes=DAL
ui_manufacturer=Delta Virtual EDIT THIS TO WHATEVER LIST YOU WANT IT TO SHOW UP IN FOR THE SIMULATION....EXAMPLE, FOR ALL THE BOEING AIRCRAFT THAT YOU SEE IN THE SIM, IN THEIR LIST, ITS BECAUSE THIS TEXT SAYS "BOEING" THIS WAY YOU CAN MAKE CUSTOM LISTS BASED ON AIRLINE LIVERIES.
ui_type=757-200 DONT SCREW WITH THIS!!!
ui_variation=Delta NNC
visual_damage=1
description=Project Opensky Boeing 757-200\nVersion 2004.8.3 - FS2002/2004\nEngine Type: PW2037\n\nModel Designers\n Lee Rosario\n Albert Bouwman\n C. Vincent Cho\n Hiroshi Igami\n\nFlight Dynamics Designer\n Warren C. Daniel\n\nMaster Texture Designers\n Jaco du Preez\n Ben Hewitt\n\nTechnical Resource-QC\n Nick Peterson\n Simon Ng\n\nRepackaged by Delta Virtual Airlines\nhttp:\/\/www.deltava.org\/\n
atc_type=BOEING
atc_model=B752
performance=Passengers\n2-class conf: 186 \n 16 - First\n 170 - Economy\n\nCargo\nFwd lower hold volume: 1,790 cu ft \nAft lower hold volume: 1,312 cu ft\n\nDimensions\nSpan 124 ft 10 in\nLength 154 ft 1 in\nHeight 44 ft 3 in (min)\n 45 ft 1 in (max)\n\nEngines: PW PW2037\nTO Thrust Rating: 38,400 lb\n\nMax Fuel Cap.: 11,276 gal\nMaxTOW: 256,000 lb\nZFW: 174,000 lb\n\nMax Range: 3,900 nm (7,222 km) \nTypical Cruise Speed \n @ FL350: M.80

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Good job FEM 🍻 That is what I was looking for as far as the gentleman getting assistance. Clap

You do a lot of hard work!!!! Such as copy/pasting that ac cfg.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...