SearchSearch 

Can a Scenery Area be Re-Installed Independently?

When I installed FS9 on my computer, I remember seeing a message that said that the Hong Kong area did not install correctly. Now, if you go to the old Kai Tak, the bay isn't there and there's buildings where the bay should be! The new airport is all goofed up to. Is there a way to re-install this area without having to uninstall and then reinstall all of FS9? The reason I don't want to uninstall everything is all of the aircraft I've downloaded and outfitting with new panels, etc.

Thanks!

6 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

When I installed FS9 on my computer, I remember seeing a message that said that the Hong Kong area did not install correctly. Now, if you go to the old Kai Tak, the bay isn't there and there's buildings where the bay should be! The new airport is all goofed up to. Is there a way to re-install this area without having to uninstall and then reinstall all of FS9? The reason I don't want to uninstall everything is all of the aircraft I've downloaded and outfitting with new panels, etc.

Thanks!

The best way to do this is to use reverse psychology or whatever you want to call it. Find the scenery .zip file and read the installation instructions again.
Instead of going forward, go backward step by step to uninstall it. With scenery in particular it is important not to skip any steps.

There are several Kai Tak sceneries out there and one of them has a very bad reputation. I hope that's not the one you have. 🙂

This is actually the default scenery area that installed incorrectly when I loaded FS9. I'm not sure if what you said still applies as you indicated that you thought I was using an add-on. Please calrify.

Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You can extract anything you like from your fs9 disks, including scenery. Of course, we're talking about the original files of the game.

I would extract the Hong Kong scenery and put it where it belongs in fs9. Overwrite if prompted. The file you need should be on disk 4.

See this brilliant guide compiled by Liono ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11845/here-is-complete-list-of-what-is-on-each-fs9-disk/

OK, but how do you extract files off of disk 4? Clicking on it just starts the game and right clicking it doesn't seem to help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

OK, but how do you extract files off of disk 4? Clicking on it just starts the game and right clicking it doesn't seem to help.

Go into "My Computer" and click on the CD drive and pick it off.
If the auto start begins, shut it down and start again but hold down the left shift key.

Radar

Thanks. I tried everything and nothing works. I chatted online with customer support and it was determined my disk 4 is corrupt (how does that happen?). Anyway, the only fix is a replacement disk which I've ordered.