Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FSX Computer and Directx 10

ace1259 Guest

hello,

I just built a desktop specifically for FSX. It seems to run great on Vista Ultimate and with my hardware. I have most settings on Ultra High, sometimes around a busy airport (JFK) it can get a little "jerky" on the frames. Anyone have any recommendations on my specs? (maybe overclocking processor and/or card)

AMD x2 4600 dual core (2.4 ghz each)
3 GB Ram (DDR II 800)
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB
Biostar MoBo; 550w Power Supply
750 gb storage- FSX running on 7200rpm/3.0gb/s drive
19" BenQ Digital LCD Monitor

and like i said running Vista Ultimate. From what I read, directX 10 is compatible with the system I have but there is not a patch out yet telling FSX to utilize DX 10, is that correct? Also, I have thought about overclocking, would that be a smart thing to do on this system? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Your system looks good, I would get one more GB of RAM but that's nit picking. I don't think I would overclock(OC) your system unless you have it done professionally. OC a system is dangerous, requires better than average cooling and can shorten the life of your processor.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Yeah..... your system specs nearly mirrors mine (have 2 Gb of RAM). Looks like overclocking will be the plausible choice. I wish I knew someone who can OC mine so that I can max out the settings.

ace1259 Guest

Everything runs ok, like I said just a little jerky in big time airports. Would the DX 10 patch clear that up?

robson131 Guest

I expect the directx 10 patch would clear this up, I would be very surpirsed if it doesnt. Im not tooo clued up on this but from what I have been reading in general about DX10 it is utilised to speed up performance aswell as making those amazing graphics even better, how this is done is dx10 is programmed to use less of your cpu and more of the graphics gpu so if the game does needs cpu usage then it can take it from there, I know that sounds a bit amature but thats basically what it does.

SO basically what im saying is that its programmed in a different way to dx9

1 increased performace
2 better graphics

if anything you should get the 8800 gtx or another gts in sli? its all about the graphics gpu as appose to speed of pc

ace1259 Guest

thats what I figured, thats why I got the GTS 8800 at 640 MB as opposed to 320, we shall see! hahaha

I cannot believe that you guys are getting satisfactory performance out of FSX with Computers with those Specs! Not that there is anything wrong with those specs they are really good. My problem is that I have a custom built PC that has a 3dMark06 Score of a wopping 13400 and SFX does not run well on mine!

Asus Stricker Extreme.
Intel X6800
GTX 8800 x2 SLi
2gb 1066mhz corsair dominator pc2-8500 C5
Vista home prremium
Seagate Barracuda

Whats Wrong?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I cannot believe that you guys are getting satisfactory performance out of FSX with Computers with those Specs! Not that there is anything wrong with those specs they are really good. My problem is that I have a custom built PC that has a 3dMark06 Score of a wopping 13400 and SFX does not run well on mine!

Asus Stricker Extreme.
Intel X6800
GTX 8800 x2 SLi
2gb 1066mhz corsair dominator pc2-8500 C5
Vista home prremium
Seagate Barracuda

Whats Wrong?

Windows is using 1 gig, background programs using more. You need another gig of ram.

Use this and see if it helps.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

Corsair RAM could be your problem. We have had considerable troulbe with it on many of our newer comouters. You might run Everest (or similar program) to check your memory. Memory can react to heat changes within the case, therefore monitoring temperature is helpful. I use a thermometer from the auto parts store for checking airconditioning, and insert it into the case while the computer is running and as I am doing a memory test.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I know Im sounding like a broken record constantly posting my system specs, but its the same thing... I agree, my system is HALF what yours is, yet performs supurb!

Windows XP Home
E6300 Overclocked @ 2.94ghz
2 gigs of Crucial PC-4200 EXTREMELY overclocked @ 680mhz /4-4-4-12
NVIDIA 7600GTKO Overclocked to 630mhz / 1650mhz Effec. DDR3
160gig SATA 7200RPM WD
Asus P5NSLI 570i Nvidia Chipset (old)

Mobius_One_Fox3 Guest

Vista kills fps i ran ulmate for 2 weeks brought my 8800 gtx down 60 fps in most games. I uninstalled vista shot back up to the max. Now i can run fsx super smooth. Never get a FPS drop and i can actually run on ultra high and still maintain a CONSTANT FPS of 45 and it looks really smooth. The key i found was it was choppy untill i overclocked my prossessor that was the KEY.

Specs:
8800 GTX
AMD FX-57 OVERCLOCKED to 3.00 ghz
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2-3-3-6)
Asus A8N5X
Windows XP SP 2 Home

do you need so much fps?

I am asking because I don't know. I have an old computer. I am only doing 20fps, and i thought it was pretty good enough.

Pro Member Trainee
Dachipsta Trainee

Hello fellas.
My specs are pretty much in line with what ya'll have.

Asus Commando, E6600 Oc'd @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 Ram 2GB in Dual Channel, EVGA 8800GTX 768MB OC'd @ 625/1000 and 2-Seagate Barracuda 320GB hardrives in RAID 0,1 Intel Matrix.

The thing I'm wondering here is that how much of a difference is made by having the HD access time greatly reduced by the RAID configuration and its impact on FSX's scenery being drawn? What kind of impact is that having on FPS as well? I havent been concerned with FPS yet as I havent had to be. When I got FSX loaded up, I threw all the sliders to max, all filtering to max and havent had one single hickup or stutter. I think out of curiousity I will check the FPS and post them here for reference but surely someone having a Core2Extreme and an 8800GTX at their disposal should be having an awesome time playing this game. If they arent, then they either are having memory problems as in maybe not enough or the reason why mine is flying is that my system is able to access the scenery faster on the RAID drives.

The guys that are having issues with FPS, are your HD's running on PATA or IDE maybe? Are your setups fairly new and clean, as in not having been used long enough for your registries to be all ferkerd up and whatnot? I know with at least the XP variety, the longer its up and running the slower it gets and eventually requires a reinstall and/or reformat to get the speed back up to snuff. If your XP takes 5 minutes to boot up, maybe thats a clue to try a reformat/clean install and then try things again. Again, these are just suggestions as with the good quality hardware that ya'll have, FSX should be playing just fine on pretty high settings, if not maxed out entirely.

How are ya'lls setups as far as cooling goes? Maybe tax your graphics a bit with a benchmark proggie and keep an eye on your temps and see how things fair. THe GTX is good up past 80*C but will start losing some performance the hotter it gets. If its possible, try and keep it at least 80*C or below taxed and then you will know you arent having a heat issue. IF ya'll are thinking about OC'ing, make sure you check into your cooling as well because OC'ing doesnt work well in a hot case. FSX is very processor based and will stand some good improvements if you can get your GHZ into the 2.5-3.0 range which is easily attainable with minimal cooling on a Core2Duo chip (E6400-E6800) variety. Also, with at least the newer Asus MOBO's, your Memory will OC along with your FSB speed so make sure your memory is up to the task. FSB multipliers on Intel CPU's are locked so you cant just up the multiplier like you can I believe on AMD stuff. The only options with the multiplier is 6X and 9X. The only reason they have those 2 is the underclock of 6X is for the Intel Speedstep or powersaver crap and the 9X is the fixed multiplier for full speed operation. The only way to OC is to increase the FSB frequency which when everything else is left in auto, will do a nice job getting you up to the high 2.? range. Anything higher than that will require some tweaking of the Corevoltage, Northbridge voltage and the memory voltage.
One thing that screwed me all up and cost me some performance was that I didnt realize it when I put the thing together but I had my memory in single channel mode instead of dual channel. Check and make sure your ram is in the right slots and during post, it confirms that you are in fact in dual channel. Sometime during post it will tell you.
I am not trying to act as a know it all. I actually just performed my first build about a month ago and these are things I learned by trial and error. I thought passing these things on would be the right thing to do as we all deserve to enjoy FSX, especially when we have gone and spent a pile of coin building a PC for that sole purpose...........l8r