Cheating crosswind landings

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I've spent 4 hours trying to land a taildraging Cub in an 8kt crosswind!

Here's what I've learned to do - CHEAT - after all, this is a game, a simulation!
When I'm on final, getting close to the fence and about to cut the throttle, pause the program.
Save it as "approach" because I don't want to repeat the 30 minute flight from where I started!

As a none avaitor, landing in a crosswind seems to be the hardest thing about flying. I've been to the FSX learning center and read the topic. Only way I can do it is to cut the throttle, stall at touchdown, and get on the brakes hard, pull the stick back and slam the rudder (and tailwheel) around. works about 1 time in 10.

Save before landing

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Rudder pedals are a necessity with aircraft like the Cub and DC-3, it makes crosswind landings more realistic.

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

Crosswind landings in a taildragger are a challenge! 8knts @ 20 degrees would require some experience with a J-3. You need to keep the wing slightly down into the wind on your approach. When you settle in with your stall be ready for weathervaining! You'll need some rudder away from the wind...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...