Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Why no new updates to the download section of this website?

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

I spent 5 bucks on it and not one new plane has been uploaded in over a month!!

What gives?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

waterinthefuel wrote:

I spent 5 bucks on it and not one new plane has been uploaded in over a month!!

What gives?

Welcome waterinthefuel Cheers!

I tell you what gives. If you paid five bucks in order to get good freeware downloads - you've wasted your money. But not all is lost.
Most of the time these forums are pretty good and usually someone here can help you with problems you might have.

As far as files go, once you got used to downloading from avsim, flightsim and simvation to mention only the major ones, you won't even remember that this site has a file library.

Enjoy the forums! Very Happy

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Darnit, thanks for the info. I already had simviation as a favorite. I thought paying for it would make it better.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Tailhook wrote:

waterinthefuel wrote:

I spent 5 bucks on it and not one new plane has been uploaded in over a month!!

What gives?

Welcome waterinthefuel Cheers!

I tell you what gives. If you paid five bucks in order to get good freeware downloads - you've wasted your money. But not all is lost.
Most of the time these forums are pretty good and usually someone here can help you with problems you might have.

As far as files go, once you got used to downloading from avsim, flightsim and simvation to mention only the major ones, you won't even remember that this site has a file library.

Enjoy the forums! Very Happy

ROFLMAO!!!!

You are so right!!!! I haven't been on the site long and I periodically check for downloads from here!!! I am waiting for a fully functional Airbus 380-800 (not the ones you have to pay for) to come out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

I am waiting for a fully functional Airbus 380-800 (not the ones you have to pay for) to come out.

Have you tried the Robert Versluys model? Use the FSX 747 panel and see how you go.
There are only two other freeware 380 models vailable - IMHO though, the Versluys is superior. I just give you one quick link - don't know what kind of textures you like, but Dirk Kiefer must have done a few dozen for this model.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=a380arge.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Tailhook wrote:

GundamWZero wrote:

I am waiting for a fully functional Airbus 380-800 (not the ones you have to pay for) to come out.

Have you tried the Robert Versluys model? Use the FSX 747 panel and see how you go.
There are only two other freeware 380 models vailable - IMHO though, the Versluys is superior. I just give you one quick link - don't know what kind of textures you like, but Dirk Kiefer must have done a few dozen for this model.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=a380arge.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Thanks. I'll try that one.....maybe it has sound and a panel; the Brittish Airways 380-800 has no sound nor panel, but its beautiful when it flies. If this works with sound, I'll transferr the sounds and panels to the Brittish Airways variant.

Pro Member Trainee
jpaul2468 Trainee

i like the download page its got alot of stuff on it

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

I tried it.....

And as usual, no sound and no panels!!!!! Looks like I'll be doing some digging...... Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

I tried it.....

And as usual, no sound and no panels!!!!! Looks like I'll be doing some digging...... Crying or Very sad

Sorry GundamWZero, I assumed you were familiar with the 'aliasing' method.

Try this:

Open the aircraft folder of your 380.
Inside you'll find a panel folder. Open it.
Inside you'll find the panel.cfg file - open it using Notepad.
Replace what's written in there with this:

[fltsim]
alias=b747_400\panel

Close the panel.cfg and save changes when prompted.

To get sounds we do the same procedure, well almost:

Open the aircraft folder of your 380.
Inside you'll find a sound folder. Open it.
Inside you'll find the sound.cfg file - open it using Notepad.
Replace what's written in there with this:

[fltsim]
alias=B737_800\sound

Close the sound.cfg and save changes when prompted.

You should now have panel and sound in your 380. Try it out and then read on:

Many, if not most downloadable freeware a/c come without sounds or panel. It keeps the .zip file to a reasonable size.
Though you will find a sound and a panel folder in those aircraft, they only contain the respective .cfg files in which a panel or soundset has already been aliased to. The authors of those freeware a/c assume that you still have the default a/c in your sim and therefore typically alias the sounds to the B-737 and the panels to either the 747, 777 or 737.

Now both 380s you've already tried out where conceived for fs9 NOT fsx. So the sounds were aliased to the 737-400 instead of the 737-800 because the -400 was the default 737 in fs9 -- it didn't have an -800.
Obviously then, unless the entry in the sound.cfg is changed from xxx400 to xxx800, the sim can't find the sound.

Regarding the panels, it's quite possible at this stage that you download a 380 where the panel is aliased to a 380 panel which the author thinks you already have. If however in the more likely scenario the panel was aliased to the 747, you don't need to make any changes to the panel.cfg because the name of the 747 is exactly the same in both fs9 and fsx -- and so is the path.

Another example from a different angle:
You might download an iFDG MD-11 and put it into fsx. Most of those will have the panel aliased to the 777. As fsx doesn't have a default 777, the panel will have to be aliased to another which already exists. The first choice would be again the 737-800. Of course you can experiment with other panels - HOWEVER - stick to the default ones for the time being because you'll know that the gauges will be working. Hack

Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Okay. Give me a minute...... Very Happy

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Nope.... no dice. Sad I Guess when some one decides to develop the A380-800 for FSX, I'll see if I can use the panels for the 380-800s I have from them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry to hear that it didn't work - put it down to my dubious instructions Very Happy

I make you another offer, no extra charge.

I didn't know which BA 380 you'd been looking at so I got and installed this one into FSX Arrow http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=a380braw.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Its the file at the bottom of the page. After you've installed it, download the little .zip I've just uploaded Arrow http://www.sendspace.com/file/3tcr04

Just extract the contents and follow the simple (I promise Very Happy ) instructions inside.

Note: The panel will be the default 747 and the sound I took from the default Airbus. I hope you'll get this one working Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Well, obviously I must be doing something wrong:

I pasted the entire folder....

no dice.
I pasted just the items in the folder....

nope, nada, nothing but an open space......

And the flight panel isn't there. The Virtual Cockpit is like flying like Superman! When I look around, its kinda hard to return to your proper bearing. It sucks..... Sad

Well at least I got the engine sounds again. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

I pasted the entire folder....

Sorry mate, but which folder and where did you paste it?

And the flight panel isn't there.

Load your default 747. My guess is that you don't have the default 747 panel, you might have deleted it.

Well at least I got the engine sounds again.

For the A380? Did you install the 380?

GundamWZero, if you managed to install the A380 and you downloaded the file I uploaded for you and followed the instructions to the letter, you should have the fully functioning A380 with the default 747 panel and the default Airbus sounds.

If you have the aircraft and the sound but no panel, that means that you don't have a panel in your default 747. Go have a look, if I'm wrong, I owe you a beer, if I'm right you owe me two Laughing

Cheers!

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

I did exactly what you said:

Copy and paste those two folders (panel - sound) into:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X -- SimObjects -- Airplanes -- Airbus A380-800

Overwrite when prompted. Restart FSX and go fly.......

That didn't work, so I went into both the Panel and Sound folders and copied and paste the files individually and into their proper folders. I have got the engine sounds for the A380, but no panels.

BTW.... I downloaded the A380-800 that you recommended. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Did you check whether or not you still have a panel in your default 747?

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

No. I'll check though....
Cool

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1 You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Related Topics