SearchSearch 

Crosswind Landings in Commercial Aircraft

What's the secret to successful heavy crosswind landings in commercial aircraft using a basic joystick? I've been successful with the default aircraft, but less so with addon aircraft (specifically my Opensky 747).

I can maintain an angled approach and then touch down just fine, but then I drift off the runway on the upwind side pretty quickly. Attempts to correct this trajectory with a joystck alone lead to an engine or wing strike on the downwind side. I dont have anything set up to operate rudder and aelerons separately, as in a real aircraft, which would allow me to straighten up on the runway without dipping a wing.

It also seems the program immediately switches to different aircraft characterisitics once technically on the ground, with the wind pushing on the tail. This instead of allowing the aircraft to remain angled and pointing upwind even after touch down like in real life....at least while still at higher speeds.

Any tips or suggestions?

7 Responses

Pro Member Trainee
jimthepilot Trainee

you have to use the rudders
just like the real thing!

Thanks, I kind'a figured that would be the case. Ideally I would like to normally keep the controls combined in the joystick but be able to switch immediately to a setting where I can separate the rudder and ailerons just before touching down in windy conditions. Anyone figured something like this out?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Are you saying that you have Autorudder enabled?

Tailhook wrote:

Actually, you got me there. All I know is that I use the joystick to control all aircraft movements. I'm assuming the rudder is tied into it as are the ailerons. I would prefer to keep everything controlled by the joystick but, if there's a way, be able to separate them on an as-needed basis as in a crosswing landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Actually, you got me there. All I know is that I use the joystick to control all aircraft movements. I'm assuming the rudder is tied into it as are the ailerons. I would prefer to keep everything controlled by the joystick but, if there's a way, be able to separate them on an as-needed basis as in a crosswing landing.

I think that the default setting has the Autorudder enabled. Actually, I'm pretty sure about it. I definately suggest to you to change that. Go to:

Settings / Realism / Flight controls (bottom of the widow) and uncheck the little box in front of Autorudder.

Fly with this new setting for a while to get a feel for it. Perhaps a few approaches and landings without any wind to begin with.

Once you get used to it, you won't want to get back to 'Autorudder enabled'. Even with the new setting you may encounter difficulties when you move back to crosswind landings. It takes time and practice as no doubt you know anyway.
A tip if I may. When you get yourself into a tussle with your flightstick, remember to relax your wrist and readjust your grip if necessary. This might sound trivial, but it can make all the difference.

If you happen to play any musical instrument that employs the wrists (I can't think of one that doesn't ATM) you will know exactly what I mean.

Come back at some stage and let us know how you're getting on Radar

Jamie4590 Guest

In FS2002 I was able to assign the commands to reset the ailerons and rudder seperately but it doesn't appear I can do that in FS9.

OK, thanks for the feedback and tips.